Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 08:25:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Techniques to avoid getting stuck at high-angle railroad crossing?  (Read 2817 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »

Thanks Lin, am in touch with Robert.  Smiley  Good suggestion.

Our crossing does not have the phone setup.  That looks pretty cool tho'.  I'll try to send a picture next weekend when we are at the property again.

The first pass at the crossing with my new "string bus" didn't look as bad as I had imagined.  However, having seen the sketch from Len, I think I need to make another pass at the crossing with something like Len's string bus.  e.g., strings w/weights where the wheels would be.  Looks like I need to keep a minimum 8" clearance going across.  But again, I will verify with the enhanced bus next weekend.  

Ha Ha - and of course, 80 mph.  Not sure I've ever had the Moose going that fast.  Uphill?  hmmm.  Top speed may be 40 mph with the correct wind.   Tongue  Grin

Kind Regards to all & thanks for great suggestions - I will continue to keep all posted on this.  

Phil

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:48:13 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »

Thanks again to all who offered assistance on our RR crossing.  I've attached some pix of the Moo se's Big Railroad Adventure.   Cheesy

As it turns out, for this particular crossing, the closer I got to the rear duals, leaving the crossing, the closer I came to high-centering.  Probably due to the angle leaving the grade.  I used the string models that were suggested by a couple of the members before-hand.  Also went with a spotter and brought some good sized 2x10s in case we were just too close.  Then we would have ramped-up.  

There was also a very sharp 90 degree turn leading onto this very small country crossing.  I'm pretty sure I can shove that sign-post back to its original position.   Grin  

We'll have to be every bit as careful when we head out to the Choo Choo rally in a couple of weeks.  Our approach will be going in the opposite way.   Hopefully that will work out as well.

The closest  we got was about 2 inches from the generator muffler which is about 4 feet in front of the rear duals.  Immediately after the crossing is another 90 degree angle.  I tried to not hit the crossing straight on, but as you can see, the road is very narrow.  Then after the crossing, hit the 90 degree turn.  There are now a lot less weeds around the 90 degree turn.  In retrospect, I'll use a lot more 3 point turns to get around the 90 degree turns next time rather than have to apologize to the neighbors for the extra furrows in their vegetable garden.  :-P

Extended bike rack on the rear hitch did just fine.

Caution, planning, and lots of good insights from the board helped us make it through..   Thanks again!

Kind Regards, Phil
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:21:46 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 12:29:17 AM »

Congrats on making a successful crossing.

Before long you'll be buzz'n across those like they ain't there!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
eddieboy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 05:31:48 AM »

Are you still in the same area?  I work in Aurora almost every day.
Ed

Ed Spohr/1962 PD4106/8V71/4Speed/Zion,Ill/Far North East Corner of Illinois
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 08:10:46 AM »

Phil, congratulations on finding that you can get across.  The pictures were helpful -- notice how shiny the rails are.  That is an indicator of the amount of rail traffic.  A couple of things in earlier posts give me great concern.  You refer to knowing the "schedule", and that trains don't run on weekends.  Assumptions can be dangerous, and I'm also concerned about new bus owners who may not think this through.  I'm sure the veterans, like you, are aware -- but a lot of average citizens are not.

Quote from the Railroad General Code of Operating Rules"  "1.20 Alert to Train Movement Employees must expect the movement of trains, engines, cars, or other movable equipment at any time, on any track, and in either direction."

So, how do you mitigate against that?  Approach the crossing as a professional bus driver.  Stop, not less than 15 feet (railroad cars are wider than the gauge of the track), not more than 75 feet from the crossing.  Open the door, driver's window.  Stop, Look, and Listen.  When you know the crossing's clear, proceed directly across, without stopping, and without changing gears, until the rear of the bus is well clear of the crossing.  When I designed a Church Bus Safety Program here, I paid particular attention to how many cars/private buses would stop for traffic signals, with some part of (or the whole) vehicle fouling the tracks.  At one crossing, I was in the left through lane; saw a car in the left turning lane that was afoul of the track.  When the crossing signals activated, I backed up so that when the train hit him, he wouldn't spin around into my car.  The train hit him at low speed, but tore the heck out of the car he'd just picked up from the body shop (with his wife following/watching) from the car behind him.  I gave the railroad crew my business card as a witness, shook my head, and left.

Operation Life Saver

Dennis is right, IF it Automatic Block Signal territory, in an emergency, you can shunt between the two rails (think battery jumper cable).  However, that's a big IF.  Even if that's possible, have someone run up the track (in each direction, at least a half-mile, and plant fusees (think road flares); and call the Dispatcher.  You'll want to know the railroad milepost.  You might look for the closest signalled grade crossing, and look for the 800-number (and crossing code number) - follow through from that. 

If you can, somehow, help us find the crossing on the map, so we know which rail line, and location -- I might be able to find the appropriate railroad, milepost, and (maybe) even the Dispatcher contact.

Jeremy has interesting information, but it pertains to User-Worked Crossings in Great Britain.  I'm not aware of any similar structure in the States.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:26 AM »

The pictures probably don't tell the whole story, but it doesn't look that bad to me.  I'm probably used to my bus that has a lot of ground clearance compared to other buses I have seen. 

I know somebody who high centered a motorhome on a very busy railroad crossing in Nevada.  They had no end of fun getting the motorhome off the crossing.  I believe the track is the same route that was the original transcontinental railroad.  Lots of train traffic moving at 70 MPH.  I assume the railroad was notified.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you have the good? fortune to see a train approaching your disabled vehicle, you should run any direction EXCEPT the same direction the train is moving. That locomotive is likely to be knocking/dragging the vehicle and debris along the track for quite a way before it comes to a stop, perhaps a mile and a half down the track. If you think it takes quite a way to stop a bus, try stopping 160 of them. Remember two things; it's nearly impossible for you to judge the speed of an oncoming train, and if he is running "any speed at all", he cannot even begin to slow before he is well past the grade crossing. 
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »

A couple of things in earlier posts give me great concern.  You refer to knowing the "schedule", and that trains don't run on weekends.  Assumptions can be dangerous, and I'm also concerned about new bus owners who may not think this through.  I'm sure the veterans, like you, are aware -- but a lot of average citizens are not.

Quote from the Railroad General Code of Operating Rules"  "1.20 Alert to Train Movement Employees must expect the movement of trains, engines, cars, or other movable equipment at any time, on any track, and in either direction."

Any time is train time.  You homestead a grade crossing ... You will lose.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

Phil, congratulations on finding that you can get across.  The pictures were helpful -- notice how shiny the rails are.  That is an indicator of the amount of rail traffic.  A couple of things in earlier posts give me great concern.  You refer to knowing the "schedule", and that trains don't run on weekends.  Assumptions can be dangerous, and I'm also concerned about new bus owners who may not think this through.  I'm sure the veterans, like you, are aware -- but a lot of average citizens are not.

IF it Automatic Block Signal territory, in an emergency, you can shunt between the two rails (think battery jumper cable).  However, that's a big IF.  Even if that's possible, have someone run up the track (in each direction, at least a half-mile, and plant fusees (think road flares); and call the Dispatcher.  You'll want to know the railroad milepost.  You might look for the closest signalled grade crossing, and look for the 800-number (and crossing code number) - follow through from that.  

If you can, somehow, help us find the crossing on the map, so we know which rail line, and location -- I might be able to find the appropriate railroad, milepost, and (maybe) even the Dispatcher contact.

I don't know where all this "so-called railroad information" is coming from, but it is dead wrong.  

First off, tampering with any railroad signal system is a federal offense and it will get you serious jail time.  Shunting a signal as you put it is dangerous and deadly, how do you know the train you are messing with is "behind the signal" he could very well be beyond that signal ... You could possibly kill someone with your ignorance.  

Secondly, railroad property is just that, "theirs" and you are trespassing whenever you are on it.  As for dialing up a dispatcher and putting down fusee's that is just a load of whooie, a half-mile stopping range on a train that is almost two miles long, is insufficient and unreasonable if it is traveling at track speed (and best believe he will be doing just that, the name of the game on the road, is to get it over the road, first in ... first out.).

As for the Rule Book and all that.  I lived with it 24-7 for over twenty five years, and you aren't even in the ballpark when it comes to rail safety.  Look both ways, cross the tracks, and leave the "railroading" to the people who KNOW what they are doing.  

When you come to a crossing at grade (railroad term) your best bet is to remember one rule of life.  "Railroads are in the railroad business, not the crossing business."  Don't expect it to be to your liking or smoothness.  Like I said, "Look both ways, do your thing, and move on."  

Pretty simple really, all the rest of this is pure mumbo-jumbo and pretty lame.

If this crossing is of a big concern (and potentially dangerous) report it to the appropriate railroad office and they will work with you to fix it.  (They don't want legal issues because you got hung up on their track, and they came along and clobbered you.)  They will fix it.

Here is another one for the books:  Railroaders have a name for people who are nuts about trains, they call them "foamers."  (You figure it out)

BCO
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:53:42 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »

I do not know what width of the rail road right of way is but after looking at your pictures maybe if there is little enough traffic on that road you could "spill" a couple inches of concrete on the road where your wheels  are at their worst on each side.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 07:17:58 AM »

Thanks for all the good discussion & feedback.  And just in case any new bus conversion folk are reading this - we did approach with huge amounts of caution.  Again, not wanting to make the 6 o'clock news / bonehead Internet posts, etc.,   Plus, safety first!

I did have a spotter outside watching clearance& surroudings.  Plan: if getting at all close to touching, stop & backup!  Take no chances.  Door open, stop well before tracks, look both ways, etc..  Could also see far distance down tracks in either direction.  Always expect a random train to come by.  

Having almost no car traffic on the road helped as well - nobody honking to speed us up.  Quiet, rural area.  

Will take just as much caution going the opposite direction for the first time as well.  

bco - interesting,  didn't think of contacting rail office to offer safety concern if nec.  Thx!

Brian, if spotter had taken pic of us starting to LEAVE the crossing, would have shown a bit closer fit.   Cheesy

thanks all for safety suggestions as well.  train stopping distances, etc.. good stuff to know.  Smiley

Kind regards, Phil

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:19:37 AM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »

Thanks for all the good discussion & feedback.  And just in case any new bus conversion folk are reading this - we did approach with huge amounts of caution.  Again, not wanting to make the 6 o'clock news / bonehead Internet posts, etc.,   Plus, safety first!bco - interesting,  didn't think of contacting rail office to offer safety concern if nec.  Thx

Most of it hit too close to the house for me Phil.  I have hit and killed five people in my career working on the railroad.  You can talk all you want about safety and shunting signals and all that, then pull a nine year old kid out of a mangled truck that didnít make it, and trust that it will put a completely different slant on rail safety.  Please believe me, when I tell you ďthat you donít want to have to take that home with you at the end of the day.Ē 

I have lost buddies and friends to gravel trucks, gasoline tankers & oil field heavy equipment.  Simply because some nimrod didnít want to stop for a train.  People park abandoned automobiles on the track for us to hit, they shoot at us with bows and arrows, stand up an old freezer and refrigerator. 

With nary a thought about the hands riding that locomotive.

Every crossbuck in the nation has it ... Stop ... Look ... Listen.  If you do, you will arrive home alive.  It isnít like baseball, the base donít go to the runner, we decide all ties, and you are going to lose.

BCO

TomsToy
Tom Turner

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »

Phil
     Something else you might want to consider is a leveling system using your air bags that you can use to give yourself more ground clearance in a situation like this.

Tom

1984 TMC MC-9 6V92T HT740
La Grange, Georgia
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 11:28:49 PM »

Thanks for all the good discussion & feedback.  And just in case any new bus conversion folk are reading this - we did approach with huge amounts of caution.  Again, not wanting to make the 6 o'clock news / bonehead Internet posts, etc.,   Plus, safety first!bco - interesting,  didn't think of contacting rail office to offer safety concern if nec.  Thx

Most of it hit too close to the house for me Phil.  I have hit and killed five people in my career working on the railroad.  You can talk all you want about safety and shunting signals and all that, then pull a nine year old kid out of a mangled truck that didnít make it, and trust that it will put a completely different slant on rail safety.  Please believe me, when I tell you ďthat you donít want to have to take that home with you at the end of the day.Ē 

I have lost buddies and friends to gravel trucks, gasoline tankers & oil field heavy equipment.  Simply because some nimrod didnít want to stop for a train.  People park abandoned automobiles on the track for us to hit, they shoot at us with bows and arrows, stand up an old freezer and refrigerator. 

With nary a thought about the hands riding that locomotive.

Every crossbuck in the nation has it ... Stop ... Look ... Listen.  If you do, you will arrive home alive.  It isnít like baseball, the base donít go to the runner, we decide all ties, and you are going to lose.

BCO

Im teared up reading this. My son recently began driving and I just read this to him. He is horrified, but it made quite an impression on him Im sure.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: