Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:14:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We Sold Our House..It's time to travel.....but when???  (Read 2325 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:34:37 AM »

Well we signed a contract on our house last night with a closing date of December 9th. Jan and I have dreamed about this day, because that is the day we will begin "Full Timing". I have two months to get the bus ready so we can go, and have at it.

Of course we plan on going to Bussin 2007 Jack Conrad's Rally but the day after is when we hit the road. That would be the first week of January. So here's my big question?Huh??

Living in South West Florida we have insulated our coach, we have a 10KW gen set (Onan) but no furnace. We have a couple of space heaters and a couple of electric blankets. We have no desire to go to snowy parts of the country, but we do want to go west and maybe up to Route 66 and then go west. The question is....Is that too cold for our set-up? Should we stay south along Rt 10 until spring.

Would love any imput.......we have never done this before and are so looking forward to this, and certainly don't want to screw it up.

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:05:18 AM »

Dave: good wishes on your adventure. You may remember me -- I bought the A/C unit from you several years back. Having made the trip west in January several times I offer this -- I 10 is the way to go and you WILL need a furnace!!  Have been in snow several times in Texas, frozen water hoeses in NM and been cold as heck in AZ!!! Seriously I do think a furnace is needed for the trip in winter. You may luck out but as the guys from texas will tell you it does get really cold there from time to time.
Good luck and a safe trip
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:32:59 AM »

JimH is correct in the possibility of cold on I-10.  If you don't mind running the gen, you could get by with 3 or 4 space heaters (each space heater is 5,600btu, round figures).  I have a 35,000btu propane furnace that has given me zero problems since I installed it 10 years ago.  It is big enough for our 40ft transit that has huge windows (I have yet to see another bus with bigger or more windows).  I have been in 25 degree weather with wind and been quite warm inside.  I used propane since the equipment is relatively cheap (around $1000 to set up the furnace with tank), and don't have to run the generator when not hooked up.  If you do use the furnace, mount it in the cargo bay-it is a bit noisy for inside, like I have mine.  You could do a quick install by just having one inlet and one outlet in the floor.  I kept my over the road heating element, which is huge, from the original heating system.  It is inside near the rear and powered by two 14" radiator fans.  Turn it on, count to 10, and you feel the heat all the way up front.  Needless to say, it doesn't have to run very long to get warm inside going down the road.  Highly recommend installing a furnace, or at best using more space heaters-all with tip over switches of course.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bruceknee

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:47:23 AM »

The Keys till spring is the place to be!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:41:30 AM »

Bruce is a smart man with sage advice. (Very nice start on his coach too!)

I'm sure there's lots to see & do local to occupy your time while you wait for spring.

I'd suggest traveling where things are familiar for the shake-down towards full time. Seems to me that full timing will have a few differences than occasional use. I'd be more comfortable finding those things out in a place I knew.

Enjoy the ride!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:49:45 AM »

Still waiting for my house to sell and then I will be full timming also.  I live in northern Arizona and a furnance is definately needed.  Just about anywhere you go in the west you will need a furnance.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »

Also, I recommend that you stay away from unvented catalytic heaters. They seem to work okay as long as you don't need much heat, but if it gets cold, they can do a serious job of letting you down. Consumption of oxygen, combustion products in your living quarters including water vapor and low output are among the problems with them.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:38:59 PM »

Hi Dave and Jan,

I have a great idea......

Lets set up a install of a proheat or wabasto diesel heater in your bus at Arcadia this year.......

How many want to join us in giving Dave and Jan some heat before he sets off into a new life?

Dave, lets talk your needs for heat and some good locations for some heat exchangers.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:02:38 PM »

WOW!!!

Could you do that in our bus with such little space?

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »

Hi Dave
You are embarking on ground that my wife and I hope to do in another 10 years, so we are looking forward to sage advice from people like you. Please post your experiences at fulltiming. Smiley
Now to one of the areas you mentioned in your post, specifically route 66. I live just outside Springfield MO, 25 miles north of Branson and very near the original route 66. January in this area could have nighttime temps from -5 to 25 degrees with daytime temps from 15-40 degrees. Snow, Ice, sleet and cold rain are always possibilities but most days are clear and sunny, with humidity in the 60-75% range, usually very little wind. With this much humidity and cold temps, it is can be uncomfortable. Undecided
You will have to judge if this part of route 66 is an option for you, your wife and coach. Obviously, other areas of the country have route 66 as well and maybe more to you liking. Undecided
Good Luck

Rob
91 LeMirage XL
Missouri
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 07:26:29 PM »

Congratulations Dave!!!!!!!!

I have nothing helpful to offer except envy!

We are putting our house up for sale as soon as the contractor finishes the new roof, and then....

YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Best Wishes!

Tom & Phyllis

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 07:30:52 PM »

Yes Dave,

Anything can be done with a proper plan in place....

Let's see who want's to help me.  Chime in Folk's...

Dave I'll talk to our crew of bus buddies.  [Bruce Knee, Bill Glenn, Ross] ect.

WOW!!!

Could you do that in our bus with such little space?

Dave

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 04:29:34 AM »

You are right Nick it can be done,count me in for helping to get it done and getting dave some heat before they start their journey   Mike
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 05:44:38 AM »

Thanks Mike,

I'll recrute some more too..

Nick-

bernie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »

hi dave
i think you should cruise the sun-shine state for a couple of months to get the kinks worked out before you get on the big road. there are enough local bus nuts to help you if you have a problem. good luck with your travels, i am not far behind you,but i don't plan to go west,lee and i will stay in the south east mainly.
take care
      Bernie
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: