Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:26:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Door Latch  (Read 878 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »

http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/cozyheatdave/Bus%20Door/

I know this topic has been covered, but.....
I'm headed to Elkhart next week and would love to come home with a door latch for my coach.

This is an MCI 102 A3.  It had the double door, but I've combined the two doors into one door.  They swing on a standard heavy duty stainless steel door hinge.

I want a latch that I can open and close from the inside and outside as well as lock from the inside or outside.

Any suggestions?  Where can I get one?  What have you done and can I see pics?

Thanks for any help,

Dave

P.S.  I'll be glad to look at some posting history, just haven't had much luck finding what I'm looking for.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »

You might check out the Bargman 300 RV door latch.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »

Dave
I stressed over this same issue for nearly two years avoiding the attempt because I thought it would be difficult. Finally, I stopped at a truck salvage yard near where I live and told the man what I was doing. He said lets go drive through the yard and you look at the various handles until you find one you like. I found one, we got out of the golf cart, went to look closer, it was complete with latch, inside and outside handles and stiker pin, etc. He asked me if it would work, I said yes, he said let me cut the entire door off and send it home with you so you have all the pieces. I got the entire door for $60. I did have to do some minor engineering on it when I got it home but in two days it was installed and took another day to adjust. I have a prevost so the handle had to fit between the polished stainless ridges making the choice of handles more difficult. I am not sure what your coach is but I would suggest you try the samething. Just google truck salvage yards near (your zip code) then go see what they have. I stressed over something I shouldn't have.

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage
Missouri
Bruce MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:58 PM »

Here's a link to information about a latch that was used by Jack Conrad and is reputed to be suitable quality to use on a bus conversion. http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=544.0 I hope this helps. I have purchased the parts necessary to do this conversion on an extra door that I put in my MC9. Just haven't gotten around to installing it yet!
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »

Dave -

Fast Fred penned an article about the truck door latch he installed in his 4106's door.  You can find the article here:

http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/FAST%20FRED.htm

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »

We have an older Bargman latch.  It works fine.  I think that since they are generally one piece, they are relatively easy to install.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 02:35:35 PM »

Jeep door latches make great latches with out much work and you can use a house type backset pretty simple and a lot better than the $$$ rv type paddle latch you can get 2 different styles and made in painted,chrome or stainless steel only draw back they don't have a key but a 1/2 inch hole and a 8 dollar tube lock solves that problem

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: