Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 11:06:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's got DD3's?  (Read 2243 times)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »

Clifford, I removed the axle and replaced it with one from a ten. Also changed to a 4:11.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »

Eric you are a fast learner lol you fired the 60 series yet

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »

Well, the game is afoot...

I just ordered two brand new DD3 units from Rebuilders Enterprises Inc.  $595.00 each.  Rebuilt  units were available around a couple hundred less each.  The thing is - the new units are not Bendix, but are aftermarket.  So think of this as an experiment in quality control...   I am of two minds - Bendix units new would be great, but don't exist.  Rebuilt units - are rebuilt using aftermarket components on 30 year old cores.  Mine sucked - corrosion and corruption inside there.  If we want to really keep using our buses, aftermarket suppliers are going to be critical and we need to encourage them.

I'll post a review when I get them.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 07:20:45 AM »

What brand Brian mine were Haladex/Midland I got from him

good luck

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:23 AM »

I didn't ask, just not Bendix.  I would think the same brand as you got, unless there are hundreds of foundries in backyards in China ripping off expired patents...  He said they are piece for piece identical, so that's why I think that rebuilds are using the same parts.  I figure the difference is I am getting new castings, etc.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »

Well, the game is afoot...

I just ordered two brand new DD3 units from Rebuilders Enterprises Inc.  $595.00 each.  Rebuilt  units were available around a couple hundred less each.  The thing is - the new units are not Bendix, but are aftermarket.  So think of this as an experiment in quality control...   I am of two minds - Bendix units new would be great, but don't exist.  Rebuilt units - are rebuilt using aftermarket components on 30 year old cores.  Mine sucked - corrosion and corruption inside there.  If we want to really keep using our buses, aftermarket suppliers are going to be critical and we need to encourage them.

I'll post a review when I get them.

Brian

Brian I wish you luck from REI!

This is the same outfit many have had bad experiences from.  Their bad reputation cost them a sale last week. I spent the churches $ @ Welch Industries instead & I know it cost us at least $400 more for the compressor. But I also got all I needed under one roof w/1 call! Most likely REI would not have had the A/C clutch, or the service valves needed.
But I know Chaz and others have had bad experiences with REI so I didn't wasted my time.

I used to get my DD3's from Jefferson in OKC (but that was before I knew of Luke & US Coach)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »

Mine are made in Mexico by Haladex fwiw

good luck

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »

For the casual viewers, the MCI coaches using DD3 (MC7/8/9/102) are not easily converted, as the whole axle assembly took advantage of the DD3's smaller size.

The larger spring portion of a spring brake chamber won't fit in the mounting space.

So, there have to be changes to the configuration of the application hardware, including new mounts for the chambers.

To my knowledge, no one that has made a work around has shared it via a tutorial online.

We will need a champion in this regard before much longer...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »

BW, were you not just saying not to change to non-OEM brake chambers yet here you are advocating a complete re-engineering of the brake chamber mount on the axle to install a non-OEM type of brake chamber?  Maybe I read your other post wrong?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »

Actually, I don't think that he was recommending switching out DD3's or saying it could not be done, just pointing out that it took some serious mods to do it.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »

looking at it, I think that changing to a larger chamber on my rear axle would require a completely new mounting for the axle, not just the chamber.  There is no place to rotate the chamber to that doesn't hit something significant.  I think you could do it if you removed the front shock absorber and the air bag spring and relocated them farther forward or, in the case of the spring, in board.  You would lose the whole air beam and then you would have to engineer a new way to transfer load into the bus.  Far cheaper to buy a new DD3, hence my experiment.  If these are good, then people can buy them with confidence.

You could design it to use a pair of 8" springs, like the front, instead of the single 12" spring, and might fit.  Etcetera.  The design makes what can be done on other buses not trivial.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »

I think you can do it with a Cam Lever setup myself,between Sonnie Gray and me I bet we get it figured out this winter and Sonnie doesn't even know he is involved yet lol but if all else fails I'll install the wedge springs plenty of room for those it is just so much work 

good luck

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »

I think I meant to type to stick with the OEM size in the other post?

Changing sizes changes the strength of the brakes and would mess with stopping performance.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: