Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 12:13:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bus won't start, starter issue  (Read 2862 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »

We were ready to go home yesterday and the the starter wouldn't turn.  I ohmed out the wiring and I was getting 12v to the solenoid.  I banged on the solenoid with a hammer and the bus started right up.  I drove 100 miles and the same thing.  We spent the night at a stop and I rewired the circuit and she started without the hammer.  

We then made our last fuel stop in San Antonio and no start.  This time it took several tries with the hammer to get her to go.  We are now at home, the bus is tucked in her parking spot, and she won't start.

Can I just replace the solenoid?  Or do I have to replace the whole starter?

David
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:18:08 PM by David Anderson » Logged
chris4905

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »

David,

The last time I had starter problems I could hear the solenoid "clicking in" so I didn't change the entire unit, just the solenoid, and it fixed the problem.  Don't know what type of bus you have, I had a 4905, the hardest part of the job was getting to the starter.

Couple of the best nights of RVing we ever had was at Diamond Lake in November.  Literally had the entire lake to ourselves.

Good luck with the starter.

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »

David, probably not the solenoid but you can jump from the 12 volt battery terminal on the starter down to the small terminal on bottom of the solenoid if it starts the solenoid is bad or your low voltage or starter relay is bad,Texas Industrial Electric in San Antonio sells the Delco solenoid for about 50 bucks not a knock off replacement  
If the starter is bad I recommend you buy a Delco MT 39 from Blanchard it will be new with the solenoid just going to cost you a little more than rebuilding your old Delco 42 no core charge either and not a heavy sucker like your 42 lol

good luck
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:33:39 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »

The start relay in the wiring panel is clicking hard and seems ok.  I have 12v at the solenoid on the starter when the button is pushed and I replaced the ground wire.  It wouldn't restart this afternoon when I got home.  I'll jump from 12v at the battery to the 12v+ terminal on the starter solenoid tomorrow or Monday to see if it turns.  If it does, it's wiring or the relay.  If not it's the solenoid.

David
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »

. . . I'll jump from 12v at the battery to the 12v+ terminal on the starter solenoid tomorrow or Monday to see if it turns.  If it does, it's wiring or the relay.  If not it's the solenoid.

Or the long shot - an intermittent open on the solenoid coil's ground side.

Ted

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »

[/quote]

Or the long shot - an intermittent open on the solenoid coil's ground side.

Ted
[/quote]I rewired that side.
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 02:07:39 PM »

Ok, I jumped 12v from the battery to the 12+ side of the solenoid coil.  It just sparked like a short circuit and would not engage the starter, so it's solenoid removal time.  

There are four bolts holding the solenoid body on the starter housing.  Do I just disconnect the battery cabling, jumper lug from load side of coil to starter, and the 4 mounting bolts to get this device off?  Any gears in there to the starter?  In the picture above it sure looks like something mechanical is in the body of that solenoid.  Give me some advice before I mess up something.

In the picture you can see where I dinged it up rapping it with the hammer.  I'm sure glad my hammer got us home.

David
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:16:26 PM by David Anderson » Logged
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »

I had a similar problem on my Dodge/Cummins pickup.  It would not start unless I smacked the solenoid with a hammer, then it would start every time.  Had to be the solenoid, right?  No, it was the starter as I found out after a lot of extra work replacing the solenoid.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »

When you remove the starter hook 12 volts up to the starter past the solenoid if it doesn't spin then it is starter time you probably have broken brush holders.
That is a heavy joker do you have a floor jack

good luck

David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »

When you remove the starter hook 12 volts up to the starter past the solenoid if it doesn't spin then it is starter time you probably have broken brush holders.
That is a heavy joker do you have a floor jack

good luck
So you think I need to remove the starter and not just the solenoid?  I can hook a jumper cable directly to the 12v+ bolt on the starter and 12v+ off the battery to see if the starter spins.  Beats using a screwdriver to jump the terminals Shocked
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »

Ok, I jumped 12v from the battery to the 12+ side of the solenoid coil.  It just sparked like a short circuit and would not engage the starter, so it's solenoid removal time. . . .

Could be an issue with the plunger, linkage, or drive.
The coil is a simple electro-mag, if it's sparking it's probably okay and magnetizing the "hole" but for some reason the plunger is not able to pull in. The plunger has to be pulled in by magnetism to engage the drive and close the main switch contacts.

Pull the solenoid first if it's easy to access, then check for smooth free plunger and linkage operation.
If it's tight quarters working on the solenoid, then pull the whole starter assembly.

Ted
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:48:56 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »

You need to remove the starter if for nothing else a good cleaning with holders, brushes and bushing replacement not a major deal have you replaced the starter in the years you owned the Eagle ? that is a older style 42 Mt starter and solenoid you have there   

good luck
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:59:48 PM by luvrbus » Logged

chris4905

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »

If it was me (for what it's worth) I'd remove the entire unit and take it to a truck or heavy electrical shop and have the entire unit tested and they will tell you what needs fixing, instead of trying to guess.

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »

Before you spend any money on it though give Clifford's advice some serious consideration.  MT39s are not expensive and they are MUCH more pleasant to deal with.  In my limited experience they are also infinitely more reliable.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »

Sure, swapping the complete starter will probably fix it, but myself, when possible, I like a postmortem that pinpoints failure before changing out parts.

Ted

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: