Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 02:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bus won't start, starter issue  (Read 2806 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »

You need to remove the starter if for nothing else a good cleaning with holders, brushes and bushing replacement not a major deal have you replaced the starter in the years you owned the Eagle ? that is a older style 42 Mt starter and solenoid you have there   

good luck
No, I have never had to do a thing to in the 11 years of ownership.   I got the starter off today.  The solenoid has a cracked cover at the load side of one of the big battery cable terminals.  It also had a funky smell like burned insulation.   Man I'm glad all my OEM AC stuff is gone.  It would have been a nightmare to remove this from underneath the bus. 

I think it would be wise to replace the whole thing.  I don't like to get stranded out on a trip.  What should I expect to pay for a new MT39? 

David
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »

$378.44 all taxes in, 2 years ago at Blanchards in Seattle.  I didn't have a core but I can't see where that would have made any difference on the invoice.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »

You can buy the Japan made 39mt forgot the manufacture for 240 bucks at Blanchard but I think he has a core charge on that one the Delco is the better starter like Bob bought,

FWIW I never cared for that stater till I installed one with 1 hand LOL.

They don't draw any amps starting David if I remember right the solenoid only draws 4 amps under a load

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »

There are a bunch on Ebay from $100 to $299.  How do I know which 39mt fits my DD 6v92?
clockwise or counterclockwise?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=delco+starter+mt+39&_sacat=&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=delco+starter&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »

Clifford,
I thought you were not fond of the 39mt's from the way you talked about them. I guess things do change huh?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »

BK, they are better now so many on the market now you can get parts for one,age makes a difference also those 42's were getting heavy for this old guy lol and I figured if Bob could lift a 39MT it should be ok for me and they are nice to install just joking Bob

good luck

uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »

Can we get one for a wrong turning 6v92 for my GM

uncle ned
one old person

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »

I did some calling.  Seems I have a 40 MT 11 tooth starter, clockwise rotation.  TX Industrial in San Antonio has a copy cat version of the Delco 39 MT for $385+tax.  The Delco brand is $575.  The salesman said they have had good service from the off brands that they sell.  However, if I wanted the Delco they will gladly sell me one.

Looks like the high $300's is about what I should expect.

David
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »

David, call Blanchard I think he will beat that price of 575.00 on a Delco starter

good luck

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04:44 AM »

Dave if that "copy cat" is a Mitsubishi you might want to consider it anyway.  I can't remember who told me but somebody whose opinion I respected told me they were a better starter than the Delco.  My first MT39 was a Mitsubishi and it never gave a moment of trouble - after 4 years of use I just wanted to have a spare.  The Delco definitely has a larger frame than the Mitsubishi and in general I prefer more metal to less but I did have really good service out of mine.  Its wrapped up in a bay right now waiting for the day when the Delco won't start the frenchy-bus.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »

Bob, the Mitsubishi really doesn't fit the 92 series very good from what I see the nose cone is a little different than a Delco

good luck

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »

Dammitall Clifford that was a lot of work and now I have to go back and wrap the SOB up again for storage.  I just went and took a picture of whatever I have for a spare starter.  I think its a Mitsubishi but I can't remember who told me that's what it is.  All I can see on it is a decal from my terrorist rebuilders in Saskatoon, Karam Automotive.  I do know for sure that it was hanging on my 8-92 for 4+ years with nary a hiccup the whole time.  

(on edit)
As this was uploading I remembered that when I first hung it on the frenchy-bus it would lock up solid.  The nosecone looked like the 42 that I took off and it bolted up OK but something was slightly different.  I took it back to the terrorists and they changed the nosecone.  I assumed it was just a different alignment or cone but maybe it was deeper than that. 

(now I'll go outside and bow deeply three times while facing Mojave Valley -  and then I'll wrap the starter up and put it away again)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:25:03 AM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

Looks like a Nippon Denco to me Bob

good luck
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:31:26 AM by luvrbus » Logged

David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 06:52:45 AM »

I put the new starter in.  It was much easier to install than remove.  The guy that sold it to me has a rebuild shop in San Antonio.  He said he has had good service from these.  It was $350 out the door.  It spins much faster than the old one.  He told me my old starter was a 40 Mt.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:54:26 AM by David Anderson » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: