Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:23:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Pictures of Unusual Engine Conversions for Arcadia Seminar  (Read 3338 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2006, 06:47:29 AM »

Sonnie Gray and I are again presenting an engine conversion seminar/round table at Jacks and Paula's big event in Arcadia.

We had a ball doing this seminar.  We had collected a bunch of photos of unusual conversions and would like to expand that collection.  If you have any information/photos, please send them to me at:

jim at rvsafetysystem <dot> com

Look forward to seeing you all.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 07:11:50 AM »

Jim,
You may want to get in touch with Kirby Karllson. He did a beautiful 8v92 conversion in a 4104. They are on the road now, but will surely be in Arcadia for Jack's Big Event. Maybe you could show a well done "live" installation?

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Rich (Prevost)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:44:56 AM »

Hi Jim,

Speaking of UNUSUAL. You will have to get ahold of Dave Gregory. Sorry uncle Dave - I couldn't resist.............He has done some of the most amazing things..........The boys at Southern Oregon Diesel are pretty amazing.

Hope all is going well for you guys, I really have enjoyed the times we have met. Would love to make Jack's rally. Jack told me that Prevost is a sponsor of the event, I am going to see if Prevost will have me go.

Rich
Prevost, TN
DuaneMC7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:09:42 AM »

Hello Jim

I am just starting my MC7 re power with an M11 select ( which I have) and one of the automated 10 speeds. I still have not confirmed if my M11 select will talk to the autoshift. If it will not I will go with the autoselect. I am OK with either one. I do not have any useful pictures yet as it is still to early in the project. Perhaps I can help in a later seminar.

Talk at you later Jim.

Remember, anything’s possible it’s just iron, well, almost.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 02:07:57 PM »

I believe it is an 8V71/730, but it is a beautiful conversion. Kirby also changed out thre front axle, using an axle from a transit, giving him larger brakes and a tighter turning radius.  We will see Kirby & Linda in a couple weeks at Hoboken and they are planning to attend Bussin' 2007.  Jack 

Jim,
You may want to get in touch with Kirby Karllson. He did a beautiful 8v92 conversion in a 4104. They are on the road now, but will surely be in Arcadia for Jack's Big Event. Maybe you could show a well done "live" installation?

Dave Siegel

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »

Duane- you should have no problems with the interface between the Cummins M11 select and the Autoshift. The Autoselect was mostly made for mechanical engines, and the Autoshift has a default that will turn it into an Autoselect to get you home.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DuaneMC7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 04:26:43 PM »

Thanks for the info Tom

I am about 1 week away from pulling my M11 out of the doner truck, at that time I will confirm the J1939 data link and go purchase the autoshift from my local wrecking yard.

Duane

Remember, anything’s possible it’s just iron, well, almost.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 05:54:55 PM »

Jim, I am working on a 5C with a L10 Celect and 740.  Not running but the engine is in it. If some pics of this will help let me know, you can email me at tacks@westpa.net   Tom

Tom Yaegle
Al Bass

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 09:33:59 PM »

Jim
I have a 1958 Kenworth bus conversion (pusher) that I have installed a 350 Cummins with 9 speed roadranger with overdrive. I have a lot of pictures of the installation. If you are interested, I could E-Mail them to you.
Al Bass
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 08:22:27 AM »

Hi Al.  I would guess that I got to briefly look at your bus in Rickreal.  I would love to have a few pictures!

Send to jim at rvsafetysystems <dot> com

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 05:42:34 PM »

Jim, this might not really qualify as a "Bus Conversion" but I have a friend here in NC who put a Cummins 6BT in an older FMC coach with a Chevrolet truck auto Tranny, w/electric lockup convertor.  And yes, he changed out the original pump to the larger version and now has HP to burn.  My very light MC5A (with virtually no interior and an 8V71 w/Spicer 4speed) can't run with him and he's getting 16 MPG!

Without a doubt it's the only one out there....and he's converted it to all wheel disk brakes as well.  I'll be happy to take some pic's if you're interested...knowing it's not truly a bus...but let me know.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 08:36:29 PM »

First of all, I am remiss in not thanking Tom Y for the photos he sent me off line

NCbob, I would like to have the photos - maybe just for my collection.  Virtually every photo has something of interest for discussion about engine conversions

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Busted

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 09:55:45 PM »

Do the turbine powered Eagles count? If so, I can give you the # of the guy who was in charge of them. He can talk all day about those buses, & loves to do so! He has plenty of pictures too, & countless experimental trailways stories.

At this point I think Mike should chime in! I mean come'on, I think a T drive 8V 4104 kinda qualifies for UNUSUAL!!!

I also have around here somewhere some pictures of one of the Greyhound 7's with the factory Cat installation, I ran across the bus at Hausman in the late 80's. And how about the original 12V MC 6's? I owned 3 of those & converted them to 8 92's. I also have a friend who shortened an Eagle & stuck a 6 92 in the 3rd bay! It was my idea & he beat me to it! He calls it the hotrod bus. I know he has pics of that one.
chris4905

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 08:39:39 PM »

Sure wished all of those pictures were posted somewhere the rest of us could see them (hint-hint).

I am in the process of obtaining a 6V92TA & V730, to put into my 1974 GMC 4905 w/ current 8V71 & Spicer.

It sure would be NICE to see all those pictures.  I'm currently continuously surfing and saving all the pictures of 6V92s in entine compartments.

Chris Christensen
1974 GMC 4905 w/8V71 & Spicer & soon to be 6V92TA & Allison
Eagle, ID

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 06:18:53 AM »

BK, I would love to have any information on any of the applications you have listed. 

For the seminar, I only list these applications and show a picture or two.  I do this for two reasons.  First, it basically says that most any engine conversion is possible (maybe not practical <grin>) and, secondly,  for the "fun" factor of what others have done.

Chris, maybe some day I will post some of these pictures (or perhaps the PowerPoint presentation) of my site.  If nothing else, I can consider sending CDs out.

BTW, Chris, why do you own a GMC when you live in Eagle!!

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: