Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 05:26:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows?  (Read 1490 times)
fredcliff
Cliff Maus

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »

Need some idea's as to where to shop for new windows
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »

www.motionwindow.com

www.peninsulaglass.com

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »

Motion and Peninsula are the same company, and they make great windows that are an exact replacement or drop in conversion to put sliding windows with screens into bus conversions where you are keeping the stock look and fit of the windows.  I bought them for the bedroom of my MCI, and the install was pretty straightforward, and the look and fit is excellent.  I know of no other company that makes exact replacement RV conversion windows.

If you are doing an "RV Look" conversion, then you need to look for RV windows after you decide on sizes, etc.  In the east, many people look to the RV surplus outlets in Indiana for windows and make the bus fit the window, basically.

Your intended use of the bus will also be a factor.  Where I am I rarely need to run AC at night, so my windows are single pane and open wide for night breezes.  Others go for the double pane insulated type with tiny little slider sections for fresh air.  Your needs will drive your ideas.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »

ebay motors    coach parts    newly listed        or Bontagers in southern michigan  herr windows are good.  Do you winter in Fla? if so have source there also.   bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

Not sure what you are looking for but you might look at this. http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/2579510055.html
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:18:14 PM »

RV Surplus stores up around Michiana come to mind to me! I know Cody scored good deals for him & Paul for their Eagles @ Bontragers and there are several others like Trina's and who knows.
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:16:17 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »

Ikes in Mountpelier IN has a large selection of rv windows. I have no idea how he compares in prices. On the other stuff that I have bought he seamed average with others online.

I can get a number if interested. I dont think they have a web site.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:18:22 AM »

Motion and Peninsula are the same company.  I bought them for the bedroom of my MCI, and the install was pretty straightforward, and the look and fit is excellent.  I know of no other company that makes exact replacement RV conversion windows.

Brian, without calling to get a quote, can you share what these roughly cost? Is it something they stocked, or is it custom work?
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »

Motion and Peninsula are the same company.  I bought them for the bedroom of my MCI, and the install was pretty straightforward, and the look and fit is excellent.  I know of no other company that makes exact replacement RV conversion windows.

Brian, without calling to get a quote, can you share what these roughly cost? Is it something they stocked, or is it custom work?

They are custom and a little pricey, but very, very good quality.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:22 AM »

Paul, I do believe that my sliders for the rear windows on each side were around $350 each delivered to the Detroit area (from Seattle in a great bloody crate).  They are what I would call semi-custom.  They have the specs and the detailed design requirement for your windows but they make them to your specific order for glass type, tint, etc.  it took maybe 6 weeks from order to ship.  On the MC-5 they build them to fit into your original window frames.  If you look at your window, the frame is the outside part that hinges to the bus at the top and latches to the emergency release, so you retain the ability to release the windows and swing them up.  You also retain the need to make sure your window sealing rubber is in good shape, and possibly needs  replacing...  

You basically take the window off the bus by tapping out the hinge pins, take the glass out (big hammer works well but it is tough laminated glass), take the center stiffener out, clean and paint and refurbish as required, apply double sided tape all around the exterior frame, drop the new window into the frame, screw it down and re-hang on the bus  with the hinges.  Took about an hour for the second one, somewhat longer for the first one as I had to make a scaffold so I could reach the hinges, figure out how to get the latches to work, and screw around trying to get the glass out without the big hammer.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:33:38 AM by bevans6 » Logged

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »

Thats interesting Brian, thanks. So all they are providing is a different glass using your OE frame? I was wondering if I couldnt do something like that myself. Do yours have screens? And pics??

I too want to keep the Bus window frames to retain the original look, but I want to remove all the side glass and replace with blackout panels and/or plexiglass to reduce weight. There is likely more than 1000 pounds of glass in all those sliders.

Re: MC5, 7, ets.. The drivers window has that silly toll both slide. Any ever have a full sliding glass window? Anything for the entrance door glass?
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 07:04:58 AM »

I purchased my motion windows last year and love the look and quality. I too investigated several options and finally landed on motion. I had a local glass window company ("rv windows included") quote me a price for all the same work and they were about $400.00 dollars cheaper. However, when I saw the quality compared to Motions work, there was absolutely no fair comparison. Made a family vacation out of the trip, drove to Washington from Sacramento, dropped off the windows in the morning and picked up five new windows in the afternoon.

Sure glad we went with quality. No leaks, fit like a glove and the difference in air flow when traveling is awesome!

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »

Paul, they supply a complete drop-in new window frame with the glass, the screen, the locks and the sliding rails/seals that drops into your existing frame to mount onto the bus.  It's rather ideal if you want to keep a stock look - from 5 feet away you can't tell the difference if you don't know what to look for.  The entire rear half is screened, the window pane slides all the way forward.  Huge screened opening.

They make drivers and door windows that have sliding screen sections as well.

Edit:  Ha, that is funny!  They are just dark tint to match the stock windows exactly, but they sure do look like a mirror to a camera.  It focused on the Black Ash trees, not the window in the first pic...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:34:21 AM by bevans6 » Logged

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »

one more: