Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 01:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEAVIN LAS VEGAS  (Read 4803 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »

Yep Don but you are long way from a 1000.00 bus so I don't see the comparison myself

good luck

Yeppers.  You are right.  It was meant to convey "buying used equipment" is often a pain in the part of you that goes over the fence last.  That is all ... Just a metaphor.  Me and Sonnie will get it fixed and I will be right back out there in the smart-aleck lane doing my thang.

Stylin and Smiling.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »

I'm glad you decided to share your story here Don. I can see the frustration in having a vacation curtailed and sure wish you had made it here for a visit. Chin up. It could have been a lot worse.

Hey Scott?  When I get it reworked, I am going to shoot it up there to your place, figure that would be a good 600 mile (one way) road test on it.

I will let you know.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »

Don, glad you made it home OK. It's better that you had the funds to get it temporarily fixed and back home, than to still be sitting there waiting for some back yard mechanic to come and bubble gum it together for ya.

Clifford, sorry to hear of your physical problems with your ear. Will be praying for a speedy recovery.

The repairs made were A-ok and the work held up satisfactory, the back-haul home for the most part was uneventful.  It was a shame having to back shelf the trip, but these things happen.  We have a bus fund and we carry break down money with us for just this reason (in this case a good idea, no major credit cards accepted, figure that one out, I sure couldn't).

Didn't know about your ear Clifford, infection?

BCO
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:51:07 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »

Alright here you go another example developed in the last few minutes.  Not to take away or step on this thread but it fits if you look at it.  I am going to install a metal roof myself on my house.  My insurance company(Forced to have insurance because house is financed) or agent just told me to call him when it was done, he would come photograph the house.  Farm Bureau will discount the house insurance by 20%.  That means I could calculate the amount of years and the percentage and the roof will pay for itself. Might take a while but I like that.  Yes Don cash and carry.  If insurance companies were not making huge profits they wouldn't be in business.  I want a piece of that action Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »

When are you going to Sonny's?

www.snakebreaker.com
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »

Alright here you go another example developed in the last few minutes.  Not to take away or step on this thread but it fits if you look at it.  I am going to install a metal roof myself on my house.  My insurance company(Forced to have insurance because house is financed) or agent just told me to call him when it was done, he would come photograph the house.  Farm Bureau will discount the house insurance by 20%.  That means I could calculate the amount of years and the percentage and the roof will pay for itself. Might take a while but I like that.  Yes Don cash and carry.  If insurance companies were not making huge profits they wouldn't be in business.  I want a piece of that action Grin

State Farm gave me "full replacement" coverage on my roof, AFTER they depreciated it, and you know the rest of it dontcha?

As for taking it to Sonnie's?  I am not sure, we have not worked it out, he is busy working his magic on another Eagle right now, so I am on the to-do list.  Tomorrow I dump it and then it goes into the shop, gets winter prepped and will languish inside the building until the next Grand Adventure.

BCO

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

Oh yes Sir I know what that means.  I tell you I just don't trust big business anymore.  I work on my own bus or I take it to someone who I have learned about through this forum, Sonny.  I use a small town shop for the small stuff but for the major work it will be Sonny.  So far as big chains.  No way.  The service industry has gone to he!! in a handbasket.  Take the banks for instance.  I just went to Chase bank to cash a $600 check that was written to me.  Since I was not a customer they wanted to charge me 1 % which of course is $6.  Nope I told them to stick it and spent $6 in fuel and time to go to my bank.  I should have to do that.  It is principle, not $6 that is the matter here.  We are getting jammed every time we turn around and I for one will not be a sheople and take that crap anymore.  I will pave my own way or walk on gravel for the rest of my trip.

www.snakebreaker.com
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »

I just went to Chase bank to cash a $600 check that was written to me.  Since I was not a customer they wanted to charge me 1 % which of course is $6.  Nope I told them to stick it and spent $6 in fuel and time to go to my bank.  I should have to do that.  It is principle, not $6 that is the matter here. 

Three weeks ago, the ATM at Chase ate my debit card.  I went all weekend without it, on Monday they told me it would be five working days to replace it.  When it finally did arrive, I asked them, "Are you going to give me $40 for my trouble?" and they of course said ... "NO." 

So then I said, "Well, if I bounce a check, you are all over me for an overdraft fee, how come you do not have to re-reimburse me for my time and trouble?"

And they thought I was joking.

BCO

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »

And....."Oh my GAWD..he's using a crescent wrench!  Aughhhhh!"  HB of CJ (old coot) Smiley Smiley Smiley
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

They think your joking because they are just like the rest of the sheople.  I have changed where I don't keep a lot of money in an account.  I buy silver and put it in a safety deposit volt.  The US dollar has lost what 20% in the last decade while silver has skyrocketed.  Banks are paying .5 percent to keep your money.  I could keep a cash roll and go picking, buying, trading and selling for fun and earn 50% on the dollar.  People think I get crazier everyday, when all the while I think I am finally beginning to see clear.  Same thing with vehicle breakdown insurance, tow insurance ect.  I'll pay or leave that somb$%#&^ right where it sets.

www.snakebreaker.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »

I guess I expect a little less out of my roadside assistance company.  I expect them to dispatch a tire truck, mobile mechanic, or tow truck as the needs dictate.  Personally, I would not expect a mechanic to just show up with the right parts.  The mechanic would generally need to look things over and determine what parts are necessary.  Remember, most RVers who have Coachnet would hardly know what end of the wrench is which.  I bet a lot of them wouldn't even know what size tires they have.

Coach-Net only dispatches one service per incident.  If they send a mobile mechanic and the mechanic determines a tow is necessary they will not pay for the tow.  They pay only for the trip/dispatch fee and mileage fee for a mobile fee.  They do NOT pay for any actual labor of the mobile mechanic.  I choose to try to find my own mobile mechanic for my recent incident.  I decided that $200 for a mechanic would be cheaper than $500 to $1000 to tow my bus and trailer if necessary.  In the end Arrow Stage Lines was going to send a mechanic, but they talked me through releasing the brake over the phone.

It was inexcusable that Coach-Net didn't find another mechanic after the first one broke down.  The mechanic should have called Coach-Net when he broke down and Coach-Net should have dispatched someone else.  Maybe the mechanic didn't call Coach-Net, but Coach-Net should have verified with you if the mechanic ever showed up.

I ran out of fuel two years ago in Fernley, NV.  I was pulling into a Walmart and my trailer was still out into the street.  Coach-Net was very concerned about getting me out of the street and to a safer location.  They dispatched the local police and dispatched a tow truck.  They called me back in about 10 minutes and gave me the name of the towing company that was coming.  Fortunately, I had another vehicle caravaning with us and they brought me some diesel and I got the bus running about 45 minutes after it had quit.  The tow truck had yet to arrive so I called Coach-Net to cancel.  I wasn't concerned the tow truck wasn't there after 45 minutes because it was 3 am when this happened.  The driver probably doesn't keep a heavy duty tow truck at home.

People have had bad experiences with just about every roadside assistance place out there.  I had a flat tire on my bus at home and Good Sam sent a little bitty tow truck that didn't have the right tools to put on my spare.  The driver ended up airing up the tire and I drove it to a tire shop for repair.  (No, I don't have to tools to change a bus tire as the proper jacks and other tools cost way too much.)  I don't know why Good Sam didn't send a tire truck, but they probably didn't understand what size wheels they were dealing with.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »

Belfert, I am glad that your experiences were good.  Of the things listed, they didn't do any of them.  They had the tire size, they had the parts order number of the air bag, and they NEVER CALLED BACK ON ANYTHING.  

But like I said, "I am glad it worked for you."  

It did not for us.  Maybe next time it will be better?  Who knows?

BCO
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:10:52 PM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »

BCO,
Glad to read that you got yourself, wife, and bus home safe. I can understand your anger on the hole mater. It took 5 hours to get a rig out to us in Nebraska at 110 temp. Your experience with buses and life made it a lot better than It could of been. (you got it home). For someone like me that is new to the bus world and still does not have a bus in the driveway. That's not all bad. Yes service is a thing of the past. That is one reason for this forum with people like you passing down the knowledge to people like me who try to drive a 35k bus across the US and is still at the mercy of the man rebuilding it. Keep posting and look out for the potholes in life Cheesy
Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »

Wow Don this thread lit up today.  Shocked

I hate to hear of your incident and I am glad yall made it home safe. Thanks for posting your experience. I had a similar nitemare with a RV. I have been struggling whether to get Coachnet, AAA, or just rely on my Progressive coverage. You have given me some insight on this.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 05:14:39 PM »

Kevinmc5

BCO,
Glad to read that you got yourself, wife, and bus home safe. I can understand your anger on the hole mater. It took 5 hours to get a rig out to us in Nebraska at 110 temp. Your experience with buses and life made it a lot better than It could of been. (you got it home). For someone like me that is new to the bus world and still does not have a bus in the driveway. That's not all bad. Yes service is a thing of the past. That is one reason for this forum with people like you passing down the knowledge to people like me who try to drive a 35k bus across the US and is still at the mercy of the man rebuilding it. Keep posting and look out for the potholes in life

Kevin

Oh well, what it is can now be defined as “history.”  I don’t have a great storehouse of bus information, I don’t do a lot of heavy lifting, I am at best a “shade tree mechanic” and know just about enough about most of this to get me into serious trouble.  But I am fairly good at observations, at reporting what it is that I am currently experiencing or going thru at the time.  I believe I will continue to share.  Some would say it is kind of like garbage, sift thru it, glean out what you think is worthwhile and toss the rest of it out.

That should work.

BCO

RnMAdventures

Wow Don this thread lit up today.  

I hate to hear of your incident and I am glad yall made it home safe. Thanks for posting your experience. I had a similar nitemare with a RV. I have been struggling whether to get Coachnet, AAA, or just rely on my Progressive coverage. You have given me some insight on this.

You betcha, it shore did.  Last I observed it had over 600 hits, and that is good news, I don’t care where it is you live.  Good hunting on the policy and make sure you have all your bases covered, which as has been mentioned above, “doesn’t really mean a whole lot any more.”

Having beat this old tired horse too death, I am stopping here.  I am going to go back to work on my new home security system and try to raise some bucks to cover my losses. We will call it:

THE OKLAHOMA HOME SECURITY SYSTEM:

1. Buy a pair of size 14-16 work boots.

2. Put them on front porch with a copy of Guns & Ammo.

3. Put some giant dog dishes next to boots & magazines.

4. Leave note on your door:

"Bubba: Me & Bertha went to town for more ammo & beer.  Back soon.  Don't mess with the pit bulls; they messed the mailman up bad this morning.  I don't think Killer took part; hard to tell from all the blood. I locked all four of 'em in the house.  Better wait outside.  Be right back."        

~ Cooter

Now I am going to officially put this non-sense to bed, y’all have at it. 

Stick a fork in me I am done.

BCO

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: