Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 06:28:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mount an Awning to an MCI  (Read 1071 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:02 AM »

I want to start shopping for an awning for my coach.  Mine is a 102 A3, however I would guess it is identical to the MC-9.  Not a raised roof.

Those of you who have done it, how do you mount the awning?  What length?  It seems I have to go 24' to clear the baggage bays, and that seems awful extreme.

Do you mount above or below the clearance lights? 

If I need some strong supports, I want to get that in before I insulate and finish my ceilings.

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:45:59 AM »

24 ft awnings are nothing but trouble I don't care what brand you buy and I mount above the lights some states frown on awning covering the lights check the up right tubing going to the roof that tell you where to mount and size you see some with 2 awnings looks tacky to me but that is the way it is on some.
The rail is very important on the top I use a good stainless self tapping on the cross brows and water tight stainless rivets for the roof part and buy good rail don't buy the plastic junk 

good luck
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:00:01 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:42:15 AM »

I have mounted two girards to the 9 and they both went easy enough. I would make sure you have access to the interior ceiling panels. I followed the installation instructions from Girard and it went fine. Of course the awnings do not have arms that drop down so I did not have to worry about attaching to the side of the bus below the drip rail.

When both awnings are extended I have almost 400sq ft of covered area for kids, tables and cots. We have had almost 20 people under both awnings at one point.

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »

102A3 one awing, 24 feet. Goes from just aft of the door to aft of third bay. We used AE with the Airstream curved arms. It has a center support when extended. If you mount the awning above the side clearance lights then the the entire weight of the awning is on the roof and the arms  have no weight when stowed. The cost is about a foot of awning width when extended.  The side markers are still visible so you won't be questioned on that. I had to move two solar panels back towards the centerline to mount the awning rail.

I only use the big awning when I can anchor it properly. The window awnings are always out when parked.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »

I used a carefree 21' awning, I also have a 8" roof raise and mounted it below the gutter rail. I would like to get a smaller one to mount over the door sometime but they don't make my color of fabric now. Good luck Jason

Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »

Dave,
Gotta 20' on my MC9. Can't open the rear bay door when the awning is out, but that's no big deal for me. If you want any pics, I can email, don't know how to attach, I'm computer illiterate.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: