Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 11:30:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets trade out  (Read 2388 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:44:09 AM »

You guys up north are wanting to come to the desert and I want to go to the mountains.  To bad we can't just say "Shazam" and be where we want to be.  Even if it is only for a ittle while.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:46:15 AM »

I took this photo in Wyoming a couple years ago.  I can't get over how good it feels to just stand there in the cold.  This was in June!  I am lucky if my freezer can make ice in June.  I love that crisp cool air, clean air and warm sunshine.  It kind of makes me feel like a young bull again Grin

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »

Can you say dumb arse Texan in Wyoming?

www.snakebreaker.com
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »

You should find yourself a nice place in Wyoming to go for the summer, and then head back to TX for the winter.

I live in PA and am patiently working until I can retire and spend the worst winter months in TX.  I hate the cold! Cry 

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence! Smiley

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Tevo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »

Ha! I grew up in Florida and always dreamed of a "real" winter. Then I spent last winter in South Dakota and spent all winter dreaming of heat. Then I got to Arizona and started wishing for winter again. Now that I'm feeling a bit of cold in the air I'm thinking I was crazy. I think it's just human nature to wish for something different.  Grin

1962 GM PD-4106
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »

I see what your saying but I am a cold weather lover.  Cold does not bother me in the least.  We hunt in North east Oklahoma in late December.  The temps are usually somewhere below the 20 degree mark with a 20 mph wind.  I wear a Tshirt-sweat shirt and a liner from my hunting jacket and denim jeans.  Usually the first hour I keep the liner on and then it has to come off for the rest of the hunt.  I am simply one of those folks that the cold does not have an effect, most of the time.  The only time I can remember being cold to my bones was in the panhandle on a duck hunt.  It was sharply cold, cold enough to make pissickles Grin  Like a rocket surgeon I didn't check my waders before we left.  I stepped into knee deep water and instanlty felt the sharp bite of extremely cold water.  I told my brother I had a leak and he just laughed said I would be headed back to the truck.  No way no how!!  I stuck it out until 11:30 am and then the shakes got to me.  I would not have been able to shoot a duck if I had to at that point.  Had I been dry I would not have even felt the cold.

www.snakebreaker.com
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »

You guys up north are wanting to come to the desert and I want to go to the mountains.  To bad we can't just say "Shazam" and be where we want to be.  Even if it is only for a ittle while. 

I bought my bus to be able to travel.  So far, so good!  Safe travels!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Tevo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »

I see what your saying but I am a cold weather lover.  Cold does not bother me in the least.  We hunt in North east Oklahoma in late December.  The temps are usually somewhere below the 20 degree mark with a 20 mph wind.  I wear a Tshirt-sweat shirt and a liner from my hunting jacket and denim jeans.  Usually the first hour I keep the liner on and then it has to come off for the rest of the hunt.  I am simply one of those folks that the cold does not have an effect, most of the time.  The only time I can remember being cold to my bones was in the panhandle on a duck hunt.  It was sharply cold, cold enough to make pissickles Grin  Like a rocket surgeon I didn't check my waders before we left.  I stepped into knee deep water and instanlty felt the sharp bite of extremely cold water.  I told my brother I had a leak and he just laughed said I would be headed back to the truck.  No way no how!!  I stuck it out until 11:30 am and then the shakes got to me.  I would not have been able to shoot a duck if I had to at that point.  Had I been dry I would not have even felt the cold.

I was the exact same way until I spent a whole winter in it. Something about day after day wading through soupy snow just killed something in me though.  Grin

1962 GM PD-4106
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »

I was the exact same way until I spent a whole winter in it. Something about day after day wading through soupy snow just killed something in me though.  Grin

you may have a point there.  Come 5 or 6 years and i will know for sure.  I will retire and I will be headed to the high country.

www.snakebreaker.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »

I would like to live in an area that had a moderate climate that didn't get too cold or too hot.  One of the problems with living in the central Midwest would be ice storms.  Ice storms can be far worse than a snow storm especially if the area doesn't have salt or other deicing chemicals.  It mostly snows up here in Minnesota.

Realistically, I'll probably never move as all my friends and family live in the Minneapolis area.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »

I accidentally started this post in the wrong section.  So to avoid getting in hot water with a moderator I will make it all legal.  I want to get in my bus and head to the mountains Grin

www.snakebreaker.com
blank

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »

My Parents taught me early on there is no perfect place. They said that alot the nine years we lived in Duluth. You know they have icecicle contests up there to see who can grow the longest one off their roof. I think the record one year was 60 some feet. Ours was almost 40 feet and 2-3 feet in diameter. I actually walked the four blocks to school one morning after the TV said it was -41F. Least it was level going to school and not uphill both ways.

Ive frost bit both my feet and hands more than once, and had em so cold so many times, so cold you cry even as a grown man. Got scared more than once walking with my feet freezing I didnt know if I was going to make it, and between my Dad and me we know a few people who froze to death. Saw it snow 5 feet one night, shut the city down for days, snowmobiles had a blast. They got 10 feet up in Silver Bay that night. My Dad talks about working in the CCC Camp up in Ely the winter of 1937-38. They would take off their snowshoes and stomp the snow down around a tree before cutting it. They would stomp down until the snow was almost as high as their heads. Come spring they had a whole forest of 8 and 10 foot tall stumps. Do you know they dig foundation footings 12 feet deep up there to get under the frost, and that some winters it bests that? Brrrrrrr...

I read a story of a guy who lived in Alaska 15 some odd years. He said when people leave Alaska they move to places like Hawaii or Florida, not places like Minnesota.

Yeah, fresh fallen snow is sure pretty. But if I never see it again it wont bother me. some days when its 100F I can still feel that damn stinging cold. 20F with some wind? Thats almost balmy, lol.

But hey, wouldnt ya know I move down here to Arky land and last spring we get dumped on, 26 inches of snow, a new record. The third highest snow total ive seen in my life living in Minnesota 50 years. But what the heck, it melted faster than I ever saw snow melt, was completely gone by the 5th day, sun shinin, birds singin.....aint perfect, but it aint permafrost either.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »

it was cold and rainy in the mountains here in Grand Lake, CO.  Sad   You can have it.  i like 35 at nite, 70 in day.  clean air.  no smoke like in tx.

and in the winter, St. Pete, Ft. Myers, Key Largo. Cheesy

That's why we live and work in the bus!  Grin

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence! Smiley

That may be true, but it still has to be mowed!

Grin

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »

No thanks guys I like to to Christmas shop in shorts ,tee shirt and sandals in the summer here when it is hot here 110 + 40 miles and we are 75 to 80 degrees in the mountains.
I spent to many winters in Tulsa Ok where the water fountains would freeze in their spray pattern and ice would be 4 inches thick on a parking for a month,Bosie Id was warmer than Tulsa in the winter and it was cold there lol
I don't miss the humidity, the bugs and snakes in the south

good luck
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:33:04 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 04:51:53 AM »

WEll we just might turn out to be neighbors in five years.  We are lloming at NE Oklahoma, NW New Mexico and NE Arizona.  We had kicked around Alaska but I don't think my wife can hand;e the gloomy extended nights.  When we get cold gloomy days on end it depresses her.  It perks me up.  I love nothing more than a cold gray drizzling rainy day.  Big pot of Elk Chilli on the tove, maybe some of my chicken and dumplings and a fire int he fire place.  How can you not love that?  I just wish I had a fireplace in my bus.

www.snakebreaker.com
dolson

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »

I live northeast of Tulsa about 50 miles at Grand Lake, I love it here in the winter. I look forward to seeing the leaves start falling in the fall and dread seeing them start to come back in the spring because I know that the heat is just around the corner.  We took the bus on our first major trip in July for a couple of weeks to the Big Horn mountains above Buffalo, WY. I think I am with wal1809 on this one,It was in the lower 40's in the mornings and the mid sixties in the afternoon, pretty hard to beat.  We spent the last day looking at property around the Buffalo area for a place to go in the summer to get out of the heat.  Only 57 here this morning so not complaining about that.

Doug Olson
Langley, OK
1992 MCI 102C3, 6V92, HT740
http://www.dwolson.com
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 05:44:14 AM »

Face it folks, any place that has a perfect climate would become so crowded that you couldn't make a u-turn. That means expensive, too. Ever been to San Diego?
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 05:49:27 AM »

I live northeast of Tulsa about 50 miles at Grand Lake, I love it here in the winter. I look forward to seeing the leaves start falling in the fall and dread seeing them start to come back in the spring because I know that the heat is just around the corner.  We took the bus on our first major trip in July for a couple of weeks to the Big Horn mountains above Buffalo, WY. I think I am with wal1809 on this one,It was in the lower 40's in the mornings and the mid sixties in the afternoon, pretty hard to beat.  We spent the last day looking at property around the Buffalo area for a place to go in the summer to get out of the heat.  Only 57 here this morning so not complaining about that.

I wish we would have taken the time to look at some properties when we were in Wyoming.  We both love the contry up there.  What I like is it is the least population of all the states.  I just can't take much more of the heat blasts down here.  Some folks just have no clue how bad it is when we get 105 degrees.  105 in Vegas is one thing.  105 on the coast is another.  That hot humid gulf in 105 just zaps you.  It is impossible to get out and do anything in that kind of humid heat.  I am telling you we are done.  I just have to put the time in.  If your going to mail me a letter it will be headed to some high country somewhere.

www.snakebreaker.com
dolson

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:20 AM »

Yes I agree about the population thing. I know that some parts of WY are filled with tourists, but at least where we were at we were about the only tourists around.  The wife grew up in buffalo and still has family and friends there and would really like to have a place there again.  When we left WY in july we came home through the black hills in SD. It was really pretty and nice climate but so many people that it was hard to feel relaxled, I was ready to get out of there after our three days.  We are planning to visit WY again next summer and look for property again that we can call a summer home in the future if we can manage to get away from the business.

Doug Olson
Langley, OK
1992 MCI 102C3, 6V92, HT740
http://www.dwolson.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »

I look at it this way 2 months of heat for 10 months of beautiful weather hard to beat lol it will be a high of 93 here to day and our ac won't even come on it will hit the high about 5 pm then start cooling down.
Spending 27 years in the Tulsa area you guys have April and  Oct our friends from Tulsa that come to visit make fun of the TV here because we have no warning signs on the bottom telling you to take cover  lol but if you want to live in OK it is one of the better places my wife could not live there the mold from the 50 inches of rain a year was tough on her worst than Houston

good luck
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:52:07 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »

I like the tropics!  Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 08:26:42 AM »

From driving cross country truck for 21 years, I've experienced everything from below freezing weather for days on end, to hot humid weather of the south during summer.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that I'll take the mild southern California weather all year long-even putting up with the craziness of living in Los Angeles.  I live 3 miles from Manhattan Beach, get an afternoon cool breeze (this summer, ran the room A/C about 2 weeks total), go walk on the beach, and feels like being on vacation all year long.  And without worrying about freezing weather, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, etc.  I'll take the occasional earthquake anyday.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »

We both love variety in climate and city size, thus why full-timing was the choice we made to prioritize in our lives. 

Although we don't always follow the ideal weather in our travels - example of spending this summer in Arizona in 105-127 degree temps working on our bus.   Smiley

It feels good to be in the 70s here in Hurricane, UT this week.. and who knows what next week and beyond holds for us.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: