Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 02:16:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: in line fuel pump  (Read 2164 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »

Air cooled 3600 rpm.......
http://www.amazon.com/Ramsond-Portable-Silent-Generator-SHIPPING/product-reviews/B001QGS6LC/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »

I have seen similar symptoms from time to time.   It was debris in the tank/lines.  As the unit sucks fuel the intake/filter slowly plugs up.  When you stop the engine and suction goes away, the debris falls off the pickup/filter and the engine appears to start and run normally for a while until the debris collects again. 

Someone above suggested plumbing in a fuel pressure gauge between the makeup pump and the injection pump just like many of the Detroits have.  Sound like a logical way to find out what is happening.

Does the manual give any hints as to whether there is a return, as in fuel flow diagram etc?  If there is a return and you are feeding from another tank is the fuel level in the fixed tank increasing?

Good luck
Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »

Those little engines have a gravity flow and I think he is installing a larger and different tank,he is not real clear on what he is trying to accomplish but if he does not have a gravity feed he will need a pump of some kind
He is doing good his has ran longer that I ever could get one to run with out throwing craps the only diesel engine I ever found you could buy new for 350 bucks lol  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:34:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:50 AM »

Clean. And new tanks and filters. Tank sits on shelf above height of engine. No fuel returning into stock tank.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 06:39:29 AM »

Clean. And new tanks and filters. Tank sits on shelf above height of engine. No fuel returning into stock tank.

OK, I've seen the photos on the Ramsond website.  You're saying that there is a fuel tank inside the yellow cabinet housing?   How do you get fuel into that (fuel can and funnel)?  But somehow you have a fuel supply problem within the yellow housing and you're looking for a pump to pressurize the fuel feed from that internal tank to the generator's engine injection pump?  And do you mean that you had a new tank and filters before the fuel supply problems started?  If everything is self-contained within that housing, you've got an unusual and challenging problem. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 06:58:34 AM »

OK lets try this again.    there is a fuel tank inside the housing, i don't use that one but instead i use a outboard motorboat tank with a squeeze primer bulb.the tank is a little higher than the Genny so i should have plenty of gravity to push the fuel through. the tank is brand new as  is the Genny with only 4 hours on her. if there was some type of return the on-board tank would be leaking allover the Genny but i have no leakage.the on-board tank has a filler on the top which if it was not in a bulkhead would be easy to fill.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »

This may sound weird-but gasoline tanks are not made for Diesel Fuel.  Although a Diesel Fuel tank will tolerate gasoline.  I'm wondering if that squeeze bulb maybe disintegrating from the inside out (Diesel is very toxic compared to gasoline).  I would change to an aluminum tank and install a 5psi electric fuel pump.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »

OK lets try this again.    there is a fuel tank inside the housing, i don't use that one but instead i use a outboard motorboat tank with a squeeze primer bulb.the tank is a little higher than the Genny so i should have plenty of gravity to push the fuel through. the tank is brand new as  is the Genny with only 4 hours on her. if there was some type of return the on-board tank would be leaking allover the Genny but i have no leakage.the on-board tank has a filler on the top which if it was not in a bulkhead would be easy to fill. 

OK, thanks.  That's clear.  If your boat tank is indeed supplying fuel, I don't see how an inline fuel pump will help you -- except "cover up" a problem like clogged filter which should be fixed.  Is the fuel hose and bulb diesel rated?  Some people have had problems with non-diesel fuel lines deteriorating or swelling up and causing a fuel stoppage.  But if the boat tank is higher than the stock tank (assuming that the stock tank feeds by gravity) and you have confirmed that it's indeed supplying fuel, then it seems to me that your problem has got to be somewhere else in the generator.  But I'd suspect that tank and lines - maybe you need a tank vent or maybe the lines or bulb are a problem.

(OK, I see that TomC is thinking along the same lines as I am.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »

I wouldnt be surprised if the lines, primer pump, or something else is falling apart and may be clogging the injector pump or filter.

Good luck
Eric

FWIW I have a friend who can build you a custom stainless steal tank for your dimensions.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »

after 4 hours of use?  the hose was supposed to be good for diesel so says Napa. the filter is only 4 hours of use...when i remove the bulb it still dose the same thing.   if the tube was falling apart i would see flecks of it in the see through filter.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »

Man just install you a 29.00 inline pump from Auto/Zone or one those outfits if it works problem solved if not take the pump back and look else where

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »

Does it run if you use the real fuel tank the way it was designed?  Maybe there is a pump inside that tank or something.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »

Can the OP confirm that he changed the fuel filter? A couple of others mentioned it and he didn't respond and a blocked filter would give these exact symptoms when it runs for a while then chokes then after sitting for a while for the vacuum to equalize through the clogged filter it will run again for a while.

I don't have much bus experience to share with the board but I've driven diesel mercedes for 10 years and got my hands dirty so I have some experience with diesel.

The simplest explanation is often the correct one :-)

Cheers, Paul.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 12:19:35 PM »

4 hours on the whole machine  filter and all clean as a whistle. if i had an autozone and they were $29 i would but even at autozone they are $60 only thing i do see is at the bottom of the fuel filter i see a disc that sits there,is it supposed to float?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »

Do you have a O'Rilley's or Car Quest in your area they have the little impact pumps for 24 bucks at least they do here,WalMart has it also they are called Micro pumps highest price I saw on one was a Mr. Gasket for 35 dollars they will work fine for what you are trying to do  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:35:33 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: