Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 11:46:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal apologize.  (Read 2080 times)
5B Steve

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:17:10 AM »

I just want everyone to know that my computer was compromised and sent emails to everyone on my contact

list some very disturbing web sites, you know the ones I'm talking about.  The problem is fixed, and I apologize

if you have received one of these.

Steve 5B.....
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »

Oh that was an accident!!  I thought it was a gift Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »

No worries.

For those who have not had to endure one of these compromising attacks, be sure to hug your virus and malware protection software.

All of you are using protection while online, right?

I proudly pay for the full subscription to AVG's Internet Security and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Kept this household of 5 avid surfers out of trouble for some many years now.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »

No worries.

For those who have not had to endure one of these compromising attacks, be sure to hug your virus and malware protection software.

All of you are using protection while online, right?

I proudly pay for the full subscription to AVG's Internet Security and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Kept this household of 5 avid surfers out of trouble for some many years now.

happy coaching!

Same products I bought on the advise of the PC repair people that cleaned my PC after I had used some other brands.  No problems since.
buswarrior
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »

Or hug your Macintosh, and be thankful that you aren't cursed with needing to slow your computer down with security software that often causes more problems than it prevents.

- Chris

PS: If you are still using Windows XP, you might as well give up and sign your computer over to the Russian Mafia.  Nothing you can do will keep you safe.  Windows 7 on the other hand is really solid.

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »

We have had our Mac for almost 2 months now and love it! Hadn't thought about giving it a hug though.... Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »

I'm not on your contact list, but I had the very same thing happen a while back. The sites weren't too embarassing, but I was very suprized that they hacked my password on yahoo. It happens to all of us from time to time. (and having a Mac will not save your yahoo account).  Wink

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »

I'm not on your contact list, but I had the very same thing happen a while back. The sites weren't too embarassing, but I was very suprized that they hacked my password on yahoo. It happens to all of us from time to time. (and having a Mac will not save your yahoo account).  Wink

My compac, my gateway, all that Microsoft trash has been hacked over and over again and again.  My Mac however, has never had a problem.  Say what you want, but the Mac is much better hands down.  All of these so-called "social networking sites" are usually a host to those among us who want to show us how smart they are, by disrupting our lives.

BCO
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:49:57 PM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »

I use a Mac for all the important stuff and have always felt it was money well spent. No problems hardware or software. I also have a PC that mostly the kids use unless the imac or mac laptop is taken then I get stuck with the PC. That is the only time I have to clean up software to fight registry rot and all of the other high maintenance problems that come with a PC. With that being said I feel there will be a day when the Mac platform will be attacked. I am enjoying the calm before the storm I guess.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »

I'm still using Windows XP and my computer is clean.  I did get one of those fake antivirus programs about a year ago, but I was able to remove it myself without an antispyware program.  I simply would prefer to spend the $500 to $750 for a new Windows 7 capable PC on other things.  (Yes, you can get new PCs for less, but I am picky about my PCs.)  My current PC is plenty fast for what I do even though I bought it at the end of 2005.

My employer is still running Windows XP and most of the problems we see are with laptops leaving the building.  They tend to get infected often.  Our Windows 7 upgrade keeps getting delayed by other projects.  Our PCs are also from 2008 and Dell has no Windows 7 drivers so the test PCs upgraded to Windows 7 blue screen from time to time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »

We have a Mac, so I feel a bit left out.  I assume the websites you mention were about literary criticism,  and I can therefore understand your embarrassment.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

Dale Houston and Dreamscape put me on to Mircosoft Security Essentials for XP and 7 works good and is FREE,Dale is trying to get me to install MSE on the Mac because they are getting so popular I haven't done that yet don't want to chance anything screwing up the MAC lol it works all the time   

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »

Dale Houston and Dreamscape put me on to Mircosoft Security Essentials for XP and 7 works good and is FREE,Dale is trying to get me to install MSE on the Mac because they are getting so popular I haven't done that yet don't want to chance anything screwing up the MAC lol it works all the time   

good luck

The Mac has a utility feature in the applications folder that you can run from time to time to tell you the status of the machine, pretty neat feature.  I run it about every other week, and it has from time to time found irregularities and corrected them under repair disk.

BCO

RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »

I havent had many issues with Windows of nay version. If you leave the draw bridge down, even a castle will be destroyed. We use the NT4 platform to run our Ross stations and it is rock solid (and has for many years). If your email is scanned on the server side before it lands on your PC it is much better. My personal preference is Linux, but I haven't used it in years.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »

the other day i got a dirty e mail from the president of our temple.......... boy was he embarrassed.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
blank

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »

I have one computer that hasnt had any anti virus software in it for over 4 years and its never gone down. Encourages me to believe the ones selling the software are in cahoots with the ones making the viruses. Like they say, follow the money.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »

Most viruses come from malicious web sites these days.  If a PC isn't used for web browsing or you're very careful on what web sites you visit it is conceivable you won't get any viruses.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free so they aren't making any money on the program.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »

Windows 7 on the other hand is really solid.
Why do Apple heads footnote the benefits of Windows....
Really.
I'm curious, surely there is something that Apple does'nt do well....

Or hug your Macintosh, and be thankful that you aren't cursed with needing to slow your computer down with security software that often causes more problems than it prevents.

- Chris

PS: If you are still using Windows XP, you might as well give up and sign your computer over to the Russian Mafia.  Nothing you can do will keep you safe.  Windows 7 on the other hand is really solid.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:51:16 PM by eagle19952 » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »

I haven't owned my Apple Pro very long but it beats the hell out of windows 7 and this Dell I am using right now the Apple gets 10 hrs on a battery charge and this new Dell is heavy and thick compared to the Apple and runs about a 1 1/2 hrs on a charge if you are lucky this my first Apple and love it when the wife lets me use it lol

good luck

RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »

At work we have been running our Ross stations for many years on NT4 and they are rarely ever turned off. Our entire network is comprised of thousands of computers running on Vista all over the world... before that XP and I there has never been a breach. If the user is trained, the computer properly protected, and the highway controled, you have no worry's. Windows cannot save you from yourself, but you can do a lot with it.

Apples are idiot proof  Roll Eyes ( I don't mean that in a bad way )

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »

10 hrs on a battery charge and this new Dell is heavy and thick compared to the Apple and runs about a 1 1/2 hrs

Not trying to be a smart @$# but this is not a plus that has anything to do with viruses.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »

You didn't ask about a virus you asked if there was anything Apple didn't do well, not to be a smart @$# but I haven't found it,I don't like being held hostage by MS that is the reason I went with Apple the $#!% MS pulled on us with Vista was enough for me I have two $$ Toshiba's that were junk with Vista and I got no support from either MS or Toshiba.
I bought this Dell for my granddaughter it will work for her I couldn't justify the cost of a new Apple for a 6 year old maybe if she was older I could

Paul if you have a good IP viruses are not a problem my old HP has never had a virus protection program and I never had a problem with it either I think it had the one before XP  98 or 2000

good luck
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:22:10 PM by luvrbus » Logged

technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

Why do Apple heads footnote the benefits of Windows....
Really.
I'm curious, surely there is something that Apple does'nt do well....

Mac's aren't great for gaming, and for lots of legacy enterprise applications.

But on the other hand - probably the best Windows laptop you can buy right now is a MacBook Pro (for power) or MacBook Air (for portability). Windows actually runs great under BootCamp, our via virtualization under VMWare and Parallels. Even Microsoft regularly uses Mac laptops to demo with.

Once Macs coud run Windows better than almost any Windows laptop (about five years ago), I ditched my Windows laptops and have never looked back.

Macs may seem pricey at first, but they are so worth it.

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

The Mac Mini is reasonably priced and generally will be at least as powerful as PC's for around the same price.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »

The thread started out about viruses, I give up, sorry i asked.
probably best i just read.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »

All -

As some of you may, or may not know, several years ago Apple switched from Motorola to Intel for the main processing chips.

My brother-in-law works for Intel, and he's the hardware/software guru in charge of the team that's been integrating Apple into Intel and Intel into Apple.  Needless to say, it's been quite an ongoing project.  And he's got some interesting "war stories" about the integration to boot!

I've certainly enjoyed visiting and watching him futz around on the Mac with two monitors plugged into it and both running.  Mac OS on one, virtual PC on the other, with Jim switching back and forth seamlessly.

If my business accounting software included the features I use most in their Mac version, I'd switch.  In the meantime, I just keep plugging along with my desktop PC.

Oh, and Steve - I didn't get anything, so you're off the hook at my end!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: