Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 10:05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal apologize.  (Read 2143 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »

I have one computer that hasnt had any anti virus software in it for over 4 years and its never gone down. Encourages me to believe the ones selling the software are in cahoots with the ones making the viruses. Like they say, follow the money.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »

Most viruses come from malicious web sites these days.  If a PC isn't used for web browsing or you're very careful on what web sites you visit it is conceivable you won't get any viruses.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free so they aren't making any money on the program.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »

Windows 7 on the other hand is really solid.
Why do Apple heads footnote the benefits of Windows....
Really.
I'm curious, surely there is something that Apple does'nt do well....

For those who have not had to endure one of these compromising attacks, be sure to hug your virus and malware protection software.

Or hug your Macintosh, and be thankful that you aren't cursed with needing to slow your computer down with security software that often causes more problems than it prevents.

- Chris

PS: If you are still using Windows XP, you might as well give up and sign your computer over to the Russian Mafia.  Nothing you can do will keep you safe.  Windows 7 on the other hand is really solid.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:51:16 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »

I haven't owned my Apple Pro very long but it beats the hell out of windows 7 and this Dell I am using right now the Apple gets 10 hrs on a battery charge and this new Dell is heavy and thick compared to the Apple and runs about a 1 1/2 hrs on a charge if you are lucky this my first Apple and love it when the wife lets me use it lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »

At work we have been running our Ross stations for many years on NT4 and they are rarely ever turned off. Our entire network is comprised of thousands of computers running on Vista all over the world... before that XP and I there has never been a breach. If the user is trained, the computer properly protected, and the highway controled, you have no worry's. Windows cannot save you from yourself, but you can do a lot with it.

Apples are idiot proof  Roll Eyes ( I don't mean that in a bad way )

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »

10 hrs on a battery charge and this new Dell is heavy and thick compared to the Apple and runs about a 1 1/2 hrs

Not trying to be a smart @$# but this is not a plus that has anything to do with viruses.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »

You didn't ask about a virus you asked if there was anything Apple didn't do well, not to be a smart @$# but I haven't found it,I don't like being held hostage by MS that is the reason I went with Apple the $#!% MS pulled on us with Vista was enough for me I have two $$ Toshiba's that were junk with Vista and I got no support from either MS or Toshiba.
I bought this Dell for my granddaughter it will work for her I couldn't justify the cost of a new Apple for a 6 year old maybe if she was older I could

Paul if you have a good IP viruses are not a problem my old HP has never had a virus protection program and I never had a problem with it either I think it had the one before XP  98 or 2000

good luck
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:22:10 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

Why do Apple heads footnote the benefits of Windows....
Really.
I'm curious, surely there is something that Apple does'nt do well....

Mac's aren't great for gaming, and for lots of legacy enterprise applications.

But on the other hand - probably the best Windows laptop you can buy right now is a MacBook Pro (for power) or MacBook Air (for portability). Windows actually runs great under BootCamp, our via virtualization under VMWare and Parallels. Even Microsoft regularly uses Mac laptops to demo with.

Once Macs coud run Windows better than almost any Windows laptop (about five years ago), I ditched my Windows laptops and have never looked back.

Macs may seem pricey at first, but they are so worth it.

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

The Mac Mini is reasonably priced and generally will be at least as powerful as PC's for around the same price.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »

The thread started out about viruses, I give up, sorry i asked.
probably best i just read.

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »

All -

As some of you may, or may not know, several years ago Apple switched from Motorola to Intel for the main processing chips.

My brother-in-law works for Intel, and he's the hardware/software guru in charge of the team that's been integrating Apple into Intel and Intel into Apple.  Needless to say, it's been quite an ongoing project.  And he's got some interesting "war stories" about the integration to boot!

I've certainly enjoyed visiting and watching him futz around on the Mac with two monitors plugged into it and both running.  Mac OS on one, virtual PC on the other, with Jim switching back and forth seamlessly.

If my business accounting software included the features I use most in their Mac version, I'd switch.  In the meantime, I just keep plugging along with my desktop PC.

Oh, and Steve - I didn't get anything, so you're off the hook at my end!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: