Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 11:16:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this - Bus heat ???  (Read 797 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »

I've removed the bus heat and this is just above the large heater core for the passenger compartment.  It connects to the line going to the heater core.  Is this a valve or a pump?

I that a rather large solenoid on top.

Also, hard to see in the picture, but there is something with air lines just behind it.  What is that?

Thanks for all the input... today is my day for questions.

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »

I can hardly see the picture but it looks like a valve.  Ford puts a valve with similar functions in their trucks.  It stops the flow of hot water into the vehicle unless you open the valve.  Somebody might have a better guess though.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »

I am pretty sure it is the heat supply valve for the OTR heater system.  It is an electrical on/off valve, normally open with no current.  The bus system has a way of telling it to open and close to regulate air temp inside the bus that I have never been able to figure out.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:39 PM »

That's starting to make sense.  There is a digital water temperature readout on the dash with a dial control.  If you use some patients and moderation you can do a good job of controlling the coach temperature by adjusting that dial. 

That dial must adjust this valve and allow variable amounts of hot water through the heater core. 

Well, I don't have the heater core anymore, so I don't need the digital readout, so in theory I don't need this valve.  However, I do need some control valves to switch between engine heat and propane heat up to the driver heaters and to heat the engine with the propane heater.

I'll give it some thought.

Any ideas about the air valve behind?  Should I take a better picture?

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »

FWIW it's an on/off valve, not a continuously variable valve.  It uses the heatsink of hot water in the heater core to smooth out the heat delivery to the bus.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »

Florida! Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print