Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 11:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8v71 Oil Leak  (Read 636 times)
Tevo

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »

I know, I know...it's supposed to do that.  Grin But it used up the better part of 2 gallons driving 100 something odd miles so something is happening. Prior to that it used very little oil. So now I'm trying to track it down and wanted to bounce something off those more experienced with this motor, which is just about everyone here!

So looking at the motor, it appears to be coming from somewhere up top and is dripping down the left side onto the exhaust pipe, and the right side down by the compressor. On the back of the blower is a small 2 inch or so hose secured by a radiator style clamp. This seemed to be a little loose, and there's lots of oil in the area. My inclination is that this is the source of the leak, and the oil is just getting blown around and down both sides of the motor.

What I'm wondering, though, is whether that large volume of oil could likely be coming from that one leak. Thoughts?  And thanks in advance for any ideas here. Tomorrow I plan on going ahead and putting a new hose on there and cleaning up the motor, but I probably won't be able to get it out and running for a week or two to check the theory, so I'll probably be thinking about this thing nonstop until then.

1962 GM PD-4106
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »

There is a 1/4 inch pressure line supplying the oil for the blower goes between the block and blower that is probably your leak

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:23:54 AM »

I had a big leak on the back of my 8V71, it was the large 3" hose that surrounds the blower drive.  It has two constant tension spring clamps. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: