Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 08:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Identity crisis  (Read 1437 times)
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »

With respect to speed limits, am I a truck or a car?

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »

IF you are talking about bus I would vote TRUCK.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »

You're an owner-operator, so you may want to drive at the speed that gives you the best fuel economy!   I've noticed around here that lots of trucks in the slow lane seem to be driven by their owners, and most trucks that zoom past seem to be driven by hired hands (who aren't paying for fuel, tires, brakes, etc.)   Besides, are your brakes good enough for higher speeds?   Any vehicle's maximum speed should be based on its braking and handling ability.   For me, life's a lot less stressful when I cruise along at about 58 MPH, and I get 1 MPG more than at 67 MPH.   The only reason I don't like the slow lane is because it's so rough in places, but if I move over one lane I feel bad about slowing the speed of traffic in that lane.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »

"Any vehicle's maximum speed should be based on its braking and handling ability."

Good sound advice, most of the time, I adhere to the truck limits (including truck routes) as for speed, 5 to 10 mph below posted limits.  I own the slow lane and they can have the rest of it.

If you are driving a bus ... you should not be in a hurry anyway.

I vote "truck."

BCO

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »

Because of the slooooowww braking, I do what the big trucks do.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »

I assume uglydogy56 is asking specifically about legal speed limits.  My experience is that lower truck speed limits only apply to RVs if RVs or motorhomes are mentioned on the signs.  In most states RVs are a separate class legally from trucks.  A lot of the states with lower truck speed limits do it for "perceived" safety reasons.  The reality is that traffic that is all going the same speed is safer.  Truck speed limits only make sense if the roads is curvy or if there are steep grades.

There is a stretch of Interstate here in Minnesota that prohibits trucks over 9,000 lbs and also has a 45 MPH speed limit.  I contacted the Minnesota DOT and they informed me that RVs and motorhomes are allowed as they are not legally classified as trucks.  BK told me years that buses were not subject to the truck/RV/motorhome reduced speed limits in Illinois.  (Illinois recently changed the speed limit to 65 MPH for all vehicles.)

You definitely want to check on truck speed limits on a state by state basis.  Even if the signs says trucks the limits might still apply to RVs too.  I typically drive no more 65 MPH for safety and economy reasons.  I might go 60 MPH except it adds nearly three hours onto a trip to Reno.  60 MPH is a little slow on a 75 MPH interstate anyhow.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 06:41:15 AM »

Now that is interesting.  How would one of these Freightliner or Kenworth Chassis Truck-Motorhomes be rated, RV or Truck?  Just thinking outside the box.  I suppose because of the accoutrements inside, it would surely be rated a RV, but it is 80% truck in size, shape and configuration.

BCO

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »

Truck versus RV is all in how the vehicle is registered.  My bus has license plates that say RV right on them.  A truck motorhome would be registered as an RV however the owner's state describes it.  (Some states call them housecars or other wierd names, but they are all RVs.)

A commercial truck could not be registered as an RV to skirt the law as they don't have all the amenities of an RV generally.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 07:21:11 AM »

Truck versus RV is all in how the vehicle is registered.  My bus has license plates that say RV right on them.  A truck motorhome would be registered as an RV however the owner's state describes it.  (Some states call them housecars or other wierd names, but they are all RVs.)

A commercial truck could not be registered as an RV to skirt the law as they don't have all the amenities of an RV generally.

Yeppers, that is how I figured it.  For a brief period, I toyed with the idea of a Nascar Trailer and a truck, thought that would be the "ultimate setup" (living quarters, car inside, nice truck up front) but that brought the CDL issue to the front burner of the stove, and diabetic's cannot possess a CDL under federal guidelines as I understand it.

Just as well, it would have doomed me to truck-stops and/or Walmart for the rest of my life anyway.

BCO

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 07:22:43 AM »

In California, RV's (if not pulling a trailer or car) is considered a car.  Even if the bus has 3 axles.  You can even be in the carpool lane if you have 2 or more people with you.  Personally-I would rather see RV's under the blanket of truck speeds and rules since most buses have similar brakes to a truck (although most times bigger brakes).  

Now with the new stopping distances mandated for trucks and buses under federal laws, the brakes on big rig trucks has increased.  On the front axle the brakes have gone from 15x4 to 16.5x5.  On the drive axles the brakes have gone from 16.5x7 to 16.5x8.62.  The kicker is-I talked to Meritor about their new bigger brakes and they are encouraging everyone (because of both initial and maintenance costs) to stay with drum brakes.  Meritor went on to say that the new brakes perform so well that the stopping distances come within 20ft of disc brakes.  Well-the last time I looked-most cars (including the space in between each car) are about 20ft long.  So that means if you only had the new bigger drum brakes, you'd plow through a car when if you had disc brakes you could have stopped in time.  Bottom line-disc brakes are best.  But-VERY expensive to switch over to (only about a $1,600.00 option when buying a new 3 axle truck).  Good Luck, TomC

P.S: my Kenworth truck based motorhome I'm building has been registered as a motorhome.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 08:00:14 AM »

P.S: my Kenworth truck based motorhome I'm building has been registered as a motorhome.

That would be the way to do it.  A truck/trailer combo presents a host of problems for someone who is not in the industry.  I am glad that I went with the bus.

BCO

MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 08:21:48 AM »

In California, RV's (if not pulling a trailer or car) is considered a car.  Even if the bus has 3 axles.[color=blue][/color]

There are many roads and highways in California in which the signs clearly state that towing a trailer or three axles must adhere to the lower speed limit. However, my 4101 only has two axles but I generally stay on the low side anyway. I don't think it will go much faster if I wanted it to.

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »

Yeppers, that is how I figured it.  For a brief period, I toyed with the idea of a Nascar Trailer and a truck, thought that would be the "ultimate setup" (living quarters, car inside, nice truck up front) but that brought the CDL issue to the front burner of the stove, and diabetic's cannot possess a CDL under federal guidelines as I understand it.

I very strongly considered a semi trailer with semi tractor as a rig.  The sellers had managed to get the semi tractor registered as an RV.  I drove all the way down from Minneapolis to Indiana to look at it.  My main obstacle was I couldn't get insurance on the unit.  Another issue was we would have had to cram five people into the semi tractor.

A 53 foot trailer opened all kinds of possibilities.  I was even thinking about two stories for the sleeping area.  The trailer had a ramp door built and even a lift to hold two cars.  There would have been plenty of room for air conditioning and heat.

I'm glad I got the bus instead looking back on it.  There would have been plenty of issues with being confused for a commercial vehicle.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 08:38:55 AM »

Have noticed when you entered most states they state vehicles over certain weight and trucks=certain rules of road. Or vehicles of certain types.  I Try not to attract attention to my self by going to fast or to slow. As many have stated your equipment dictates your capabilities. Also your personal desires. I normally run in the sweet spot for my coach.For the 89 it is around 68mph.  It will run faster but seems to get fair mileage and good stopping feel and operation there.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »

I think that any vehicle towing a trailer has a speed limit of 55 in California.  I I am not sure that a toad is considered a trailer, but it probably is.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »

As Brian says, I've never seen a state with RV speed limits that did not specifically list them.

RVs are not trucks no matter what the configuration. There are plenty of truck tractors pulling large travel trailers and large trucks converted to RVs, none of these are trucks for speed limit or any other rules.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »

I will follow truck speed limits if they are for good reason like going through the mountains.  I will usually stay out of lanes that are not for trucks because I don't need the headache of explaining to an officer I am legally not a truck.  If there is a truck lane in a construction zone I will always take that lane as I am just as wide and tall as a semi.

The speed limits on the Ohio Turnpike read like a billboard.  The signs are enormous and there are at least four different limits listed.  (This may have changed since 2006.)

gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »

I think most highway patrolmen can tell if any vehicle is an RV by looking for ACs on top, that is the easiest way to tell.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: