Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 07:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VO or WVO in 4 strokes????????  (Read 2311 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »

The problem that that school bus outfit would most assuredly have would be clogged filters.  As a solvent, the BioD loosens all the crap in the tank and fuel lines an sends it to the fuel filters.  Be prepared for that if anyone uses that Minn fuel or gets Bio anywhere.  That they had to take a day to change out the filters after a few days operations surprises me not in the least.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

The B is short for biodiesel  WVO is waste vegetable oil and SVO is straight or unused vegetable oil.  Any and all diesel engines will make anyone of these fuels go pow in the cylinder.  The question as if it will hurt the engine is no longer really a debate.  If done correctly running any of these fuels has been proven and documented with no negative reports.  I am you monkey with well into the hundreds of thousands of miles on mine and my wifes vehicles.  I am guessing we are nearing the 250,000 mark.  Have we had trouble? Yes!  Was it as a result of the fuel? No, not directly.

When running SVO or WVO it must be heated to engine temps prior to engine entry.  The viscosity is too high when cold and the spray pattern from the injector is not fine enough with high viscosity fuel.  Heat it and it lowers the viscosity and the spray pattern allows a complete burn of the fuel.  If it does not completely burn or explode then you run into the risk of wet fuel leaking past the rings and getting into the engine oil sump.  Translated-burn up your engine or at least shorten the life.

First hand knowledge on anyone of these fuels vs. rubber.  The rubber fuel lines and rubber o-rings can not handle biodiesel, WVO or SVO.  It will destroy them really quickly.  When I installed my two tank heated WVO system in the bus I procrastinated on changing the crossover return ful line and a couple others.  It liked to have bit me in the arse and left me on the side of the road.  I only got 3000 miles out of the hoses after running WVO.  I changed them with viton rubber fuel hose.  Get ready they are high priced.

I lost the return fuel line on my tractor as it was rubber.  That was a $1.39 fix.  Thats it out of 250,000 miles collectively on 2 jettas, 2 tractors, a bus and an Excursion.

I am wondering if when Rudolph Diesel decided to change from sunflower oil as a fuel to Diesel fuel from crude, if he was met with near as many neah sayers?  I got a brother who is the worst neah sayer of all.  Everytime he hears my truck or something had to go to the shop, the first thing he says "I told you not to run that thing on grease".  My answer is the same general answer "I am getting my oil changed" or whatever it was.  

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »

If there ever was a reason to do lube oil analysis on an engine, this is it

(burning waste and vegetable oil, that is).
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »

Wayne, how many of your vehicles have the common rail system ? the ones you mention have a injection pump right,Sunflower oil was a big improvement for Rudolph the coal dust didn't work out very good for him 

good luck
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:05:47 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »

None!  common rail will run Bio Diesel in amounts of 100 percent.  However if there is plastic or rubber there will be failure.  The only reason the manufacturer states a limited amount of BD is because the dilution of the fuel stops it from hurting the rubber and plastic pieces.  BD done right is as close to the same specific gravity as diesel fuel as you can expect.  No reason the common rail won't handle it other than rubber or plastic.

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »

I really cannot understand what you are saying Wayne about o-rings and rubber on a common rail engine your 6v92 is full of o-rings and rubber.
I don't know that much about the B20 or WVO to comment much one way or the other,John Deere does a lot of research on B diesel and they are still at 20% max with diesel headed for 6 bucks a gal next year the fashion maybe to knock off a McDonald's for the oil LOL

good luck
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:17:12 PM by luvrbus » Logged

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »

The problem that that school bus outfit would most assuredly have would be clogged filters.  As a solvent, the BioD loosens all the crap in the tank and fuel lines an sends it to the fuel filters.  Be prepared for that if anyone uses that Minn fuel or gets Bio anywhere.  That they had to take a day to change out the filters after a few days operations surprises me not in the least.

I find it hard to believe that almost all of the school buses in one district would happen to clog filters on the same day.  This happened two or three months after biodiesel blending started and it was one of the first really cold days of the winter.  I didn't read a lot of other reports of filters clogging.  Most of the biodiesel problems the first winter were traced back to bad batches of biodiesel.

In my case I've never had any fuel filter related issues since biodiesel blending started, but I also change my fuel filters every year even if I only drive four or five thousand miles so I am not typical.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »

I really cannot understand what you are saying Wayne about o-rings and rubber on a common rail engine your 6v92 is full of o-rings and rubber.
I don't know that much about the B20 or WVO to comment much one way or the other,John Deere does a lot of research on B diesel and they are still at 20% max with diesel headed for 6 bucks a gal next year the fashion maybe to knock off a McDonald's for the oil LOL

good luck
I have no more rubber fuel lines.  If the rubber orings in the pump or the injectors give way then I will deal with it then.  I will have them replaced with viton and be done with it.
John Deer, Kubota, Volkswagen and all the big manufacturers will not go over b20 as they know they can't warrantee the fuel systems.  If they would just use viton and stainless steel we could all benefit from it.  A major concern is if there is not a complete burn, the fuel can get past the piston rings and contaminate the oil.  If it polmerizes in the oil then that engine would suffer failure.  There are ways around it.

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »

Wayne, with what you are saying it would scare me to death to use WVO in a 92 series each piston has a 4 inch o-ring between the dome and the skirt on the piston.
I'll get a engine in some day that has used VO and WVO for a period of time then I'll know but right now I am not going to say yea or nay 

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »

I'm usually one of the first to try something new. Still scares me. Just entering the 60series adventure myself. Think I'll just bite the bullet until something more conclusive is decided. The extra mileage I pick up from the 60 and eaton 10spd will just go to offset the increase fuel$.  The cost of repair or breakdown could wipe out any savings quickly. Did learn allot from this post to look out for in future discussions.  Still not there for me!   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 03:48:57 AM »

Wayne, with what you are saying it would scare me to death to use WVO in a 92 series each piston has a 4 inch o-ring between the dome and the skirt on the piston.
I'll get a engine in some day that has used VO and WVO for a period of time then I'll know but right now I am not going to say yea or nay 

good luck

Hello CLifford,  I can't see an oring on the piston being constructed of real rubber.  With piston temps reaching 600 degrees real rubber would be destroyed by heat alone.  I don't remember there being a rubber oring on the piston.  It has been nbear 23 years since I was inside one though.   The key we can both agree on here is if the piston has an oring the wvo should never touch the oring.  If wvo is heated and gets proper bang then no wvo should ever see the oring on the piston.  Run cold oil and it could get there.

www.snakebreaker.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 06:09:48 AM »

The only 2 stroke engine I've seen used in big numbers using WVO is the Detroit 2-71 that used to be used as a generator on trains for refrigerated cars.  They run well on the WVO, but it does built up gunk that has to be cleaned periodically-they didn't say at how many hours-but the pictures I saw with the gunk built up to the point that the exhaust valves would not close was eye opening.  If you're willing to more or less tear the engine down at a much closer frequency then when running on Diesel, then go for it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 06:29:29 AM »

Wayne I can see where it would get there through a leaking injector from the top or from the oil I am not near afraid of your WVO system as the used engine oil been there done that on a engine,I like you guys out look on the stuff (the saving offset a engine rebuild) but I reservations about that one lol.
Reading the fuel spec on the MTU site they don't want over 5% Bio diesel in those engines I have no idea whats going on there it was 20%

good luck

NeoplanAN440

1995 MCI 102 D3 running WVO Neoplan AN440

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »

It can be done!!!!

I have been running my 6V92 on WVO for years now with no problems !! Also in my fleet is a cummins 5.9 , a mercedes 300SD a Listeroid , and a Witte Engine. Newest member is my MCI 102D3 with a Detroit 60 . There are small problems to trick the Ecm about fuel temps and some....  But so far running great !
All engines that i run had no problems related to the use of wvo. And even my cummins with 500k miles on it looked clean with no deposits on injectors , on Pistons, or Valves !!

Only Wvo related problem i had , is a seized Injector pump. It seized up due to fast of a Temp change while switching back to cold diesel!!  ( this was on one of my first conversions).

I do Oil Analysis on each of them , and have the oil changed more often, depending on how often i stop and switch between fuels!!

Yes i have seen lots of damaged engines from WVO, mostly injection problems.
These are all related to bad fuel (wvo) or to bad systems (poor filtration and preheatings)

Just my two cents!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: