Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 09:54:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus VS Toterhome  (Read 6694 times)
demodriver

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »

Ok for those of you that had the luxury of owning both of them at some point and used it to pull a trailer alot witch one did you like better?

I pull a trailer with a car on it 99% of the time. I have to carry a large amount of extra parts for my car as well as tools.  The room in the bus is great (its not converted yet, just gutted). But the more that I have to turn this thing around and the places I go I am wondering if I wouldnt be better off to build a toterhome instead. 

I am looking for input and opinions from those who have more experience with toters and large tow rigs in general.

Eric
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »

Eric ;although it is a 5Th wheel and is maneuverable the trailer length plus toter puts it out there. Your family size and the fact you don't carry heavy loads might make  the bus better. Frame work and box building a toter home is time consuming.. Andy's was a pro conversion on previous owners truck. Ck it out sometime. Much more expensive than doing a bus conversion.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »

toter homes are essentially tractor trailer prime movers with a not very good RV on the back, and meant to pull a serious trailer.  Most can carry several cars.  They really aren't the same thing as a bus at all.  The RV portion might be 12 to 14 feet long, usually.  On thing about them is they are custom, so they come in every style imaginable.  My buddy has one, he carries four cars in his.  Buses are really all about the RV, not what you can tow.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:36:57 PM »

The tow factor is what is making us think about the toters. I am hoping to make a trip to texas this winter for a race and would like to hual two cars. The fact that we cant hual a car to drive and the race car also makes things a pain some times.

As for the RV part of it. When we do our bus conversion its going to be a very basic build for usability and not a high dollar conversion.
I just dont want to spend the money on my bus and then decide to go another route after I have already sunk more money in my bus then its worth.

Bob I would love to come down and check out your guys rigs.

Eric
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:48:52 PM »

If money was no object, I would get a highway tractor, long wheel base, and build a motorhome on it, then I could tow anything I want with it, up to 80000 lbs total. But I am an old busnut, I like buses, and I make do with my bus. I can only tow a smaller trailer, but I enjoy the bus.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »

I have had both and for the loads you are talking about, go with the toter. I sold my toter because I did not need the towing power and my bus is a lot more comfortable. With that said if you spend enough you can get a toter with power and comfort.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »

I'm not really doing either. I'm taking my '85 Kenworth 90" Cabover Aerodyne and converting it into a 40ft motorhome.  Granted the turning radius will be less and the ride not as good, but the servicability on any cabover truck is second to none (when you tilt the cab, the engine/transmission are right there).  I have a 13ft garage with my bedroom over head (separate garage-not a toy hauler) and can pull a 10,000lb trailer if I want.  With the Caterpillar 3406B 400hp and Allison HT740-not worried at all about power.  So far working on it has been a real pleasure since everything is above floor line-unlike my transit bus where most everything is below the floor.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:01 AM »

Eric, if your main use is going to the races and your trailer can't deal with two cars (I can get two Formula Fords in my 20' trailer but I depend on others for local transportation) and you need a driver at the track, then a Toter Home is the answer.  It's designed, mostly, for racing first and that includes staying in comfort at the track, and being an RV second.  They are way expensive new, kind of depreciate to a certain level and stabilize, which means you will  probably pay decent money for it when you buy it, but when you are done you can expect to get a lot of that back.  My buddy just bought a 2002 Renegade with  a 48 ft trailer for around $100K, it has around 150K miles on it.  Two generators, air compressor, lift gate to the top tier of car deck.  Pro unit.  Watch out for the cheap units, they are usually cheap for a reason - run hard, put away wet, and wore out.  Don't rely on the "Private RV' sign on the door - essentially all motor racing is considered commercial these days, even if you only get a trophy.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:04:43 AM »

A simple ramp and you can park a geo tracker in the back where your bedroom is .  back it out and make the bed.  was in busconversion mag some 10 yrs ago done to a Eagle.  ramp was folding alum.   Bob

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 05:15:43 AM »

Do a search for Kingsley Coaches:

http://www.racingjunk.com/Class-8-Truck-Conversions/2085975/2003-Kingsley-Coach-Custom-RV-Toy-Hauler.html

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 05:33:38 AM »

here is an older, less expensive one.  No trailer, though.  http://www.race-cars.com/trasales/chevy-gmc/1298332903/1298332903ss.htm  Several others on the site.  Plus several hundred race cars...   Shocked

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 05:51:44 AM »

$$$$$$$ I know what you paid for your bus! stole it.    You could rent a car when on road . several times/years and still not have what it would cost to have a toter home conversion and trailer built.  What happens when you change hobbies/side business and family is still there for recreation.  You would still have bus for fine unforgettable family adventures.  The bus is forever like family.  Food for thought.  Do the math. 

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 06:50:19 AM »

Last I heard, Kingsley Coach was defunct.  Gone.  Finito.

BCO

MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »

It sounds like you bought the wrong vehicle for the wrong reasons at this stage of your life. If you were looking for a tow vehicle, maybe the bus was not the answer. I think most people start with the bus for the RV aspect and then tow their toys or toads. I had a race car that I sold a couple of years ago. I was tired of all the hard work, and commitment that went into racing. My wife was a gem and was with me all the way. I sold everything and switched to the bus. Did I mention hard work and commitment? It is now pointed in a different direction. The nights and weekends are now focused on a hobby that my wife loves as much as me. I would look hard at what your future holds before making a decision. Could you put the bus away for a little farther up the road. If not then you will figure it out.

By the way, if you can find the time to race and convert a bus, you are a better man then me.

Good Luck,
Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 07:02:06 AM »

Kingsley is out of business, but they built the units on a standard semi tractor chassis that should be easier to get parts for than most buses.  GM and Eagle are both defunct as far as building coaches goes, but people still buy them and own them.

If I suddenly came into a bunch of money I don't know if I would buy another bus or buy a truck conversion instead.  The issue with a truck conversion is the short length available for the living area.  That engine out front takes up a lot of room, but it sure is easier to work on the engine or to get work done if necessary.  There is a place in every town that can work on a standard semi tractor.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: