Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 20, 2018, 05:14:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at (657) 221-0432 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air ride hitch  (Read 1035 times)
demodriver

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »

While at a local fair I noticed a air bag attached to a hitch on one of the carnys trucks.  How well do you guys think this would help with the bouncing tongue weight of a trailer on a bus?
As most know I am trying to figure out if I would be better off with a different tow vehicle or if I can make the bus work. I thought this thing might make it more practical for a stacker trailer.

After about 15 minutes of trying to upload a single picture I give up.  I will load a pic later if I dont smash the computer.

The hitch was made to slide into a reece style hitch. It then had a air bag that would absorb the vertical impact of the trailer hitch rocking up and down.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »

Better to have the air ride on the trailer to absorb the road shock before transmitting it to the hitch.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:49:36 AM »

Heres the hitch
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »

They work fine, they do what they say they do.  They add a lot of tongue weight.  If your bus has air suspension, you already have the main benefit.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »

There are several air spring trailer mounts.  I have seen some pretty neat systems for 5th wheel trailers.

One of the things I am so concerned about with buses towing big trailers is the dynamic loads.  An air spring hitch would do a bunch to minimize the impact loading.  Only problem is that there are no trailer dollies that have that option (that are still in business).

One of the issues with some of the trailer dollies that have been produced is that they don't have a lot of suspension travel.  To me that could be an issue in some of the drainage "ditches" that we have to transverse from time to time. 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: