Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 06:21:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing 4 down  (Read 2263 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »

Backing up a car on a dolly is virtually impossible, and you can mangle it if you try. Backing up a car on a tow bar isn't recommended either, but Ive done it several times when I got in a jam and didn't do anything more than scrub the tires a little. Then there is the added weight, a dolly weighs 800-1200 pounds.

I drag a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I removed the steering wheel lock (removed the pin) so I don't have to leave the keys in it. I have about $350 into the tow bar (basic towmaster tow bar, plus kit). I wired the diodes and light wires in an afternoon, now its just like a trailer. Its run over 50K miles behind us now, no problems at all, most times don't even know its there.

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »

Most folks here can for sure get it done for less like that, I have a brake buddy but dont need it where I go and how I drive could of done completly without that. Used tow bar, homade baseplate. Yes probably way less than the cost of a trailer.

Many cant pull trailer too. I decided I love it.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Just A Newell

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »

On the Commander you turn the key on, put the transmission in neutral, push a transfercase neutral button with a pen, back to park with the transmission, pull the key and tow. The steering wheel has no lock on it.

SE Ks, 1986 Newell 8v92
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

We've pulled Ford Explorers 4-down for over a decade now. I've had 3 of them (still have 2 of them).

Just got the newest toad a month ago, a 2011 Ford Ranger. Base plate is installed, lights are wired in, neutral tow kit installed yesterday.
It's ready for the trip on Friday!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: