Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 08:47:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing 4 down  (Read 2284 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »

Backing up a car on a dolly is virtually impossible, and you can mangle it if you try. Backing up a car on a tow bar isn't recommended either, but Ive done it several times when I got in a jam and didn't do anything more than scrub the tires a little. Then there is the added weight, a dolly weighs 800-1200 pounds.

I drag a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I removed the steering wheel lock (removed the pin) so I don't have to leave the keys in it. I have about $350 into the tow bar (basic towmaster tow bar, plus kit). I wired the diodes and light wires in an afternoon, now its just like a trailer. Its run over 50K miles behind us now, no problems at all, most times don't even know its there.

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »

Most folks here can for sure get it done for less like that, I have a brake buddy but dont need it where I go and how I drive could of done completly without that. Used tow bar, homade baseplate. Yes probably way less than the cost of a trailer.

Many cant pull trailer too. I decided I love it.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Just A Newell

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »

On the Commander you turn the key on, put the transmission in neutral, push a transfercase neutral button with a pen, back to park with the transmission, pull the key and tow. The steering wheel has no lock on it.

SE Ks, 1986 Newell 8v92
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

We've pulled Ford Explorers 4-down for over a decade now. I've had 3 of them (still have 2 of them).

Just got the newest toad a month ago, a 2011 Ford Ranger. Base plate is installed, lights are wired in, neutral tow kit installed yesterday.
It's ready for the trip on Friday!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: