Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:15:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truckers are certainly not what we used to be.  (Read 4047 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »

Dear Friends,

During this trip up to Wisconsin in our little van, I have noticed a big change in truckers and what we used to call "highway curtesy".

1. When another truck would pass us in the old days, we would momentarily shut off our headlights to let him know when it was O. K. to pull back into our lane. Then the passing trucker would blink his marker lights to say "Thanks". In fact, many truck cabs back then came from factory with a "Marker Flash" momentary switch on the dash. On this trip, only about one in 20 paid any attention to my "O. K. to pull back into our lane" signal, and even fewer blinked "Thanks". (Mostly noticed older drivers ackowledging.)

2. I had at least a dozen times trucks come up to five or six feet behind my back bumper, before finally pulling into the left lane to pass us. This was on four-lane interstates, with nobody else in the left lane, and every time in rain or drizzle. And yes, I was doing the speed limit at these times. I can only imagine what would have happened, if I had had need to suddenly brake.   

Mostly, as noted in another's thread, this conduct was noticed in company drivers, not owner operators.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Tevo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »

I was told by a driver that some companies have policies now that forbids them from flashing lights for liability reasons. Not sure how widespread it is, just something I heard.

1962 GM PD-4106
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »

That might be, in this sue-happy generation. But tail-gating could also get you a real good law suit.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »

Mex::  It is defferant world out there now. If you will remember then most of the roads were two lanes and it was important to get out and back in as quickly as possable. I drove over the road until about 4 years ago an there are a lot of 90 day wonders and not many pro. drivers left .  A sign of the times.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »

Now you know why I got out of driving cross country after 21 years.  Have been selling trucks now for over 10 years.  Much easier, make about the same money, and am home every night.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:36:34 AM »

Dr Steve,

I noticed all that and more.  I also see more than a few truckers talking on hand held cell phones hanging out in the left lane, oblivious to anything around them.

I also noticed "drag racing" on uphill grades.  On my recent trip out west I followed a truck in the left lane "passing" a slower truck (on an uphill grade) in the right lane.  The problem is that it took him 7 (seven) miles to do it at a speed of about 57 mph in a 75 mph zone!  These same two truckers then tailgated me on the downhill at 78 mph!  Add to the mix that both were placarded!

Several places, in construction zones, where signs say "FINES DOUBLED" I was nearly pushed through them by trucks tailgating me flashing their lights for me to move over!

I know there are many bad 4 wheeler drivers, but I thought that a "professional" driver had a higher level of responsibility, expecially with heavy and hazardous loads.
I know several professional drivers who have a million accident free miles, but I also see that they are now mostly paid by the mile, so the temptation is always present for them to make their only goal of "making miles".

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »

In defense of not "flashing back" I'll say that some headlamps don't have much of a "flash" difference between low and high beams and sometimes shaking mirrors can show as much change without a flash or a quick lights-off. Then, some car drivers flash (or turn off) their lamps too quickly to give a clear signal. So, if it's not in a dark area, and if the truck driver doesn't happen to be focused on the correct mirror exactly during a quick and possibly rather dim flash, it may be missed.

And sometimes a driver may simply be miffed with the light flashing and be thinking to herself, "If you actually wanted to help, you could have let off when I was trying to pass; or moved your slow moving self over a lane so I could pass without a lane change; or moved over a lane when that slow car was merging in; or kept your distance from this truck; or some other such thing."

Ted
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:59:55 AM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »

I owned a trucking company for 27 years, and drove as an employee for a few years before that.  Then I owned a bus company for 12 years. The state of the industry now is a joke and the day I got out was a happy day.  Poor or no training and no oversight has a lot to do with it.  The working conditions (other than large leaps in equipment quality and technology) and low pay are turning the industry into an immigrant industry with many drivers even unable to speak English.  And our govmit now thinks it's a good idea to allow Mexican truckers access to US highways.  This will further the downward rate and wage scales with resulting safety ramifications.  Do you want your family out there on the highways with these guys?  Tailgating, speeding and unsafe following distances are the norm.  It's a zoo out there.  I am thinking of installing a forward looking recording device for liability mitigation.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
pabusnut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »

I forgot one big thing that bugs me.  Those stickers on the sides/back of trucks that say "You are in my blind zone."  They make it like it is your fault that they can't see you, because you are somewhere you shouldn't be on the highway! ---in their way!!! Look, these days mirrors and backwards looking cameras are really cheap and reliable.  They could spend some more on safety devices and less on chrome goodies.

I want to put one of those across the top of both my windshield and back window "YOU ARE IN MY BLIND ZONE"!!!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
letz4wheel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »

I forgot one big thing that bugs me.  Those stickers on the sides/back of trucks that say "You are in my blind zone."  They make it like it is your fault that they can't see you, because you are somewhere you shouldn't be on the highway! ---in their way!!! Look, these days mirrors and backwards looking cameras are really cheap and reliable.  They could spend some more on safety devices and less on chrome goodies.

I want to put one of those across the top of both my windshield and back window "YOU ARE IN MY BLIND ZONE"!!!

Actually they are making you aware they can't see you. It is generally not a good idea to sit in these blind spots for any number of reasons. Have you ever seen a semi tire blow? It will take out your windshield and your head along with it! I have been there and seen it. Ever had a vehicle come off the shoulder @ 20 mph 100 ft from your front bumper? I have, and I sure don't want to be the idiot sitting in the trucks blind spot! But go ahead if you wish...Darwin will take it's course  Undecided

'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »

The first time a drove across the country was around 1967.  At that time the blink/flash rules were important; they were more than just a courtesy.  However, as road improved, it became somewhat unneeded on multi-lane roads.  Now, for the most part (again on multi-lane roads), it is an anachronism (cool word, eh?).

You don't have to believe everything you think.
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »

I think the light flashing is a courtesy that is about on a par with passing another shopper in a grocery market and smiling. It is just a nice thing to do. But if I pass a truck and he doesn't flash his lights I don't get upset because he has no obligation to do so.

I like to do it for truckers and RVs so they know I am saying you have cleared me by a safe margin and you can pull in. What I do not like are the truckers that pass and insist on returning to the lane about 15 feet in front of my bumper. Either these drivers are incompetent or stupid. If they have to make a sudden application of brakes there is going to be a problem.

Truckers trying to enter an interstate will get all the breaks I can give them, specifically moving over a lane when I can. But if I cannot move over I am going to maintain speed because if I start adjusting my speed (as though I can accelerate) then there are two vehicles that have no clue about what the other is doing.

Whenever we see a truck exhibiting less than professional driving it is almost always a cell phone, or the driver is messing with the computer.

When I am in my cars I do get seriously irked when one of these so-called professionals chooses to ride a few feet off my back bumper.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »

Hmmm, lets see... they weigh 80K+ lbs., are 65'+ long and take an eighth of a mile to change lanes at 55 mph. They have a mirror that's 7" wide and 14" tall on either side. According to the NTSB, a truck driver makes over 120 decisions a minute... an SUV driver a lot less.
As a lot of previous threads here have mentioned.. If you can't see the driver in his mirror, HE CAN'T SEE YOU! Why not get your head out of your arse and figure out what they are telling you instead of being pisssed off that they are ruining your day by giving you information that you could use.
I won't even try to make the supposition that you are one of the ones that gets pisssed at the slow driver in the construction zone who is doing the construction speed limit.
I won't be happy when you become a casualty. I also won't be happy when you decide that the speed limit is too slow and you kill a construction worker.

Maybe you should rethink your priorities. Does another 3 minutes getting to your destination really mean that much to you?

Yes, I agree, today's truck drivers aren't as savvy as the drivers in day's of yore. That only means that your responsibilities are greater to keep you and those around you safe.

Those signs are there to keep YOU safe... your little car or SUV isn't going to make a dent in his/her truck when it bounces off. Even your bus will be sent flying out of control and you'll probably lose your life as the first person to the scene of an accident.

As they say in the south... Bless Your Heart!

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 11:40:22 AM »

If you are in their blind zone it IS your fault, not the truck drivers.  People think it's cool to get close to a truck and draft to save gas but if that trucker hits his brakes you are going to hit him.  Sure, many companies just put a warm body in the cab of a truck but that means it is even more important for you to pay attention and save yourself.  Those signs are there to help idiots that follow too close, not those that use their heads.  Which one are you?

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
pabusnut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:55 AM »

Actually they are making you aware they can't see you. It is generally not a good idea to sit in these blind spots for any number of reasons. Have you ever seen a semi tire blow? It will take out your windshield and your head along with it! I have been there and seen it. Ever had a vehicle come off the shoulder @ 20 mph 100 ft from your front bumper? I have, and I sure don't want to be the idiot sitting in the trucks blind spot! But go ahead if you wish...Darwin will take it's course[/color]

That is my point!  There should be no "blind spots" on either side of their vehicle. I can understand that they can't see behind them, but if I hit the back--it's my fault.  If they are advising me that they can't see me(while we are both headed down the road in the same direction), then they are too lazy or stupid to buy the mirrors that they should have on their vehicle(or too incompetent to use the ones they have).  Where they place the sticker on the truck, I can read it and see their mirror through the windshield so why can't they see me?  The mirrors that are factory equipment on my personal car DO leave a big blind spot, and I have added the convex "stick on" mirrors that eliminate it IF I LOOK AT THEM!!!!  It only takes a tenth of a second to check mirrors prior to making a lane change.

I don't think the appropriate answer at the Manslaughter by Vehicle trial is "they were in my blind zone, so it isn't my fault that I ran them off the road!"

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: