Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:43:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing the bus home but where to stay???  (Read 4367 times)
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »

I would vote for Walmart mostly except for the Flying J on  I95 in Latta, SC. A huge lot is at most half full ever.  

if you need a campground try ST George, SC. There is a Passport America park in the back side of a motel. Right off the highway but lower in elevation, noise goes over the top. PA price was $15.

Flying J in Brunswick, GA is busy and full all the time.  Instead push on to the Florida Welcome Center. Stay to the far right and go to the RV pull through spaces. From thier to Naples is a days drive. A suggestion is to avoid accident city, I 75 especially around the Tampa/St Pete area, is US 17 south to FL 80 turn right and I 75 in Ft Meyers is about 5 miles from there.

Enjoy your trip and good luck.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »

Bill,

Where is accident city ??  Never heard.

I like to take Rt 301 thru Callahan, Starke, etc etc, to Ocala. Watch your speed however. Peaceful route for me.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
blank

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 02:38:32 AM »

I think its safe to say many here avoid campgrounds. The reasons are many, not only cost, but most are far off the route were taking, and if were just traveling and need a spot to sleep, its really rather idiotic to burn up $4 gallon fuel going out of your way to blow $20 to sleep somewhere, not knowing what youll run into there. Having a bunch of drunks outside your spot laughing and carrying on with their yippie dog barking til the butt crack of dawn, I vote truck stop and rumblin diesels.

We stayed at a WM up in northern Missouri, I dont think anyone in that town had a muffler of their Truck or Camaro/Mustang, and they continually drove through the parking lot gassin the loud pedal until we gave up and drove on down the road.

When we first came into NWA, we asked about staying at the WM in Bentonville, which is the home of Walmart. Manager said not to, that although it was WM policy to allow RV parking, Bentonville would ticket you if you did. He directed us to park over at Rogers Sams Club, which is closed at night and quiet and dark as anything.

Campgrounds do have a place if your planning on hanging around somewhere a while, let the kid run and play and swim, and we use them. We generally like State and US Forestry campgrounds best, usually very quiet and nice. Somehow have a hard time paying $20-$30 just to park in some campground though. Weve stayed in rest areas, truck stops, walmarts, back lot of mom & pop restaurants, never really had a problem. Basically we drive until we dont want to anymore and start looking for a place to land.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 09:14:02 PM »

Dave -

There is a Yahoo Group dedicated to "WalMarRVing" that you should seriously look at for your travels.

Once you join, in the files section (tab on left of main page), you'll find a .pdf document you can use to find out which WMs allow ON parking and which ones do not.

The list is maintained and updated frequently, well worth having it bookmarked.

Here's the link to the group's main page:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/walmartrving/

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 04:38:23 AM »

Thanks RJ, that was a great link. Turns out I had an old Yahoo account so signing up was a breeze they just had to re-verify some things and bada-bing I was in. The links looks just like what I was looking for and I will be sure to use them.

Thanks again,

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »

Fuel in Ga. before entering Fl, has been my experience.

But don't wait until you get too close to the border.  The dealers have figured that one out.  Load up at least 50 miles before the border.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 07:19:30 AM »

Fuel in Ga. before entering Fl, has been my experience.

But don't wait until you get too close to the border.  The dealers have figured that one out.  Load up at least 50 miles before the border.

Same thing in Wyoming on the Utah border.  Utah prices are much higher so prices in Evanston are higher than Wyoming prices, but still lower than Utah prices.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »

Dave on your way home.  try 321 and 301 You will be traveling with a lot of local trucks and logging trucks.  The diesel is a lot cheaper than on the interstate and the ride is a lot ease on the nerves.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
thunderstruck

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »

I don't like CG's for quick overnight stops. I usually prefer truck stops or rest area's. Look for the rest area's that have "overnight security"....

PREVOST H3-45 Featherlite Vantare
Ft.Lauderdale, Florida.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »

On the road where wi fi or the net is not available we use the WM atlas cost you $4.95 and lists every WM,Sam's and their grocery store chain in the US that prohibits or allows overnight parking gives you the directions to that store that is were the people on the Yahoo group get their info fwiw 
I have saw people dumb enough to pay $19.95 at CW for book for free parking at a WM locations  lol

good luck
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:26:59 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »

wonder who Gene is?? lived in NC for 27 yrs but do not know who this could be, could you please let me know
Frank Allen
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »

Hello:   Russells diesel repair    2080 John Shehan road, Mill Spring NC  828-863-2102..     
      Right off rte 74 exit 170.  Approx  30 miles north of Spartonburg SC..
   Just left there friday. Had a problem with my 50 Dn alternator. Lost a pulley in NY state and called Gene. He had an 70 amp 24V alternator (air cooled) waiting and we fabricated a bracket and got the bus back on track.  The boys identified a leaky exhaust manifold gasket which was replaced and we were on our way.  Great place and great poeple to work with. Gene has 40 years experience working with diesels and big equipment. His knowledge is very extensive. 
   Daves bus looks great. power steering and other additions. 
     just got home and the bus is in the barn..  whirlwind trip to CNY for a funeral and some work that was promised a while ago.
      Had to duck and dodge the flooding in Pa when going north.   Interesting trip.
   Regards and happy bussin mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »

Clifford -

. . . that is were the people on the Yahoo group get their info. . .

That may have been true initially, but currently, many members of the group contribute to the site and the list is updated almost monthly - certainly much more frequently than the printed atlas.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »

That's probably true RJ if you fill out the card in the altas WM sends you the update along with their Neighborhood Markets that allow overnight parking I haven't heard if they are going to allow overnight parking at their new Express stores or not anything on the Yahoo group about over night parking at those   

good luck
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:35:49 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 05:32:51 AM »

Hello:       I did discuss Genes shop in my last post but the original thread  mentioned  a way to get back to florida cheaply .
    In my case I had to get to atlanta so I took I26 to I 85 south. we stayed at a flying j at carnesville exit 160. THen I85 to I 75. Two flying Js @ 201 and 2 then into florida and home.
    However to get to the eastern part of florida take I26 to I95 head south. Flying J @ brunswick exit 29. Great barbeque at the Georgia pig @ 29.
     I stay at flying J or pilot because it is easy and usually not much of a problem. you can run your generator if necessary.
     flying J has a book published monthly with all the stops listed although I did find one in georgia not in the book on 85.   Usually has pilots listed also.
     I park in either section  truck side or Rv side.
      Regards  and happy bussin   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: