Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:27:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing the bus home but where to stay???  (Read 4726 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »

flying J has a book published monthly with all the stops listed although I did find one in georgia not in the book on 85.   Usually has pilots listed also. 

I guess you know (but some people don't) that the company that owns Pilot truck stops bought Flying J a few months ago.  They're consolidating the two systems but there's still some overlap -- some stops are changing name and brand so "location" information is pretty fluid.  Most Flying J's are beginning to have info on Pilot locations and vice versa.  I think that they're taking each others credit cards, etc. now.  It's probably best to check the websites for the latest info on your route before you begin a trip.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »

Hello:     Our old loyalty card was replaced at a pilot station in may . Most flying j s now have new gas pumps with provisions for visa ($495. limit per swipe) mastercard is only 100. per swipe.   You usaully get the cash price when using your rv loyalty card even if you use visa.   get receipt and everything all at the pump.   The newer pump units electronics are better.  One place we did have problems was carlyle pa milemrker 50 I 81. The place was a zoo because they were working on the pumps .   
      Regards and  happy bussin  mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »

Hello:     Our old loyalty card was replaced at a pilot station in may . Most flying j s now have new gas pumps with provisions for visa ($495. limit per swipe) mastercard is only 100. per swipe.   You usaully get the cash price when using your rv loyalty card even if you use visa.   get receipt and everything all at the pump.   The newer pump units electronics are better.  One place we did have problems was carlyle pa milemrker 50 I 81. The place was a zoo because they were working on the pumps .   
      Regards and  happy bussin  mike

Thanks, Mike.  That's pretty much been my experience with Pilot and Flying J lately.  One big kicker around me was that Flying J used to discount fuel to draw business - now that the remaining Flying J's are pricing fuel pretty much what everybody else is, the other stations/stops around them don't feel the competition and they're putting their prices up.  There used to be little "puddles" of low priced fuel around Flying J's on the east coast -- stations within 10 miles of them were typically 12-14-15 cents lower than most stations along the road.  All things change, I guess.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 05:38:02 PM »

We use WM parking lots when available, if not we use truck stops, except when we need to dump or do laundry or it is so hot we don't want to run the genset at night.

WM parking lots are better than TV!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 07:28:54 AM »

Are you saying that you can not use a gen set at night in a Wal Mart parking lot?

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
gus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »

No, I'm saying that I don't want to run my genset all night, primarily because of CO danger. The sound of a genset wouldn't even be noticed!

Making noise is no problem at WM with all the trucks and reefer trailers, traffic, local hot rodding, horns and etc!! Same for truck stops.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:28 AM »

Thank you Gus for clearing that up. Our bus is all electric and we either have to plug into a wall or run the generator for power, and that worried me, thinking that a generator was not allowed in their parking lots.

Thanks

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
bergdoll

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 05:47:13 AM »

Petro is where i usually go. Stay with the truckers, they have full vehicle service & the  Iron Skillet restaurant,  showers & is very clean!

1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 06:40:43 AM »

On my last trip to TN I noticed that one of the Petro's had replaced the Iron Skillet with a Denny's.  I have nothing against Denny's but it isn't an Iron Skillet.  I hope that is not going to become the norm for Petro.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 07:24:09 AM »

All pretty good advice. Just be aware, and i think most busnuts are, parking is getting tougher for the big trucks and inconsiderate RV's arent helping. I have heard some pretty po'd drivers because of rv's taking up too many spaces with dumb parking. which is why i usually park truck side back out of the way. Be really carefull walking the lot and watch yourself and family day and nite.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 08:13:51 AM »

Just reading this topic for the first time.... all i can say is that the only time we tried to stay in a WM parking lot, we ended up staying in front of RJ's house.   Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »

On my last trip to TN I noticed that one of the Petro's had replaced the Iron Skillet with a Denny's.  I have nothing against Denny's but it isn't an Iron Skillet.  I hope that is not going to become the norm for Petro.

Frank

Frank that must of been a Petro bought out by "Flying J/Pilot" maybe around Fort Chiswell, VA where Flying J bought out the Petro before going broke and being bought out by Pilot.

All Flying J restaurants are being changed over to Denny's
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »

Dave,

You will probably be the quietest one in the WM lot if you park anywhere near big trucks!

When truck stop lots are crowded we try to park in a spot that is difficult or impossible for a truck to get into. Ironically, these spots are usually caused by another trucker parking at an odd angle. Anyway, the turnover in these lots is so quick that whatever the situation is when you arrive quickly changes. I also try to buy fuel wherever I stop. 

One other thing, be sure to park in the front of the spot so some truck doesn't back into you in the middle of the night thinking the spot is empty! Same goes for rest stop parking, always park so your bus is easily seen.

The only real problem with truck stops is most of them are gravel and have huge holes, too deep for some low buses, and are dusty. When the holes are full of water it is even more exciting!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:05 AM »

Wow, it really sounds like I am in for an adventure when I bring the old girl home. We have always stayed in a campground, so I have found it very interesting reading about everyones adventures in other truck stops and Wal Marts, etc.

I have to stop before nightfall because I have not hooked up my corner roof markers yet and I am afraid I would get stopped by a trooper or DOT officer. Plus my vision is not great and worse at night time.

I got this great app for my phone that integrates Google maps with Wal Mart locations so I can see where those various stores are as I travel south. And depending on how tired I am or late in the day it is I can find a good stop while I still have light.

Thanks for all the great advice folks. I think it will be soon, I talked to Gene yesterday and he had been road testing the bus to calibrate the electric speedometer. That was the last project on my list so I'm hoping I'll hear from him with an invitation to come and get it within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again,
Dave

P.S *side note*  Has anyone ever had experience with a truck car wash by running their RV  or bus through one of those things?

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »

Dave - There is a good bus wash on I75 @ Wildwood exit (exit weat on north side of strret) cost about $1.50 a foot (not cheap) - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: