Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 12:38:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Transit Driver Oops  (Read 2710 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 10:25:10 AM »

DL3.  Now I got it.  Forgot about that one.  Got nice lines...even stretched across the road.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 02:17:56 PM »

Poor fellow more than likely took the wrong turn and was trying to fix it, and had little experience backing up. Russ and Runcutter got it nailed.

Self fulfilling prophesy in many quarters of the transportation industry, and the transit companies in particular.

If you back up, you'll hit something, don't back up.

Then they don't bother teaching them to back-up.

Then we know what happens when the poor beggar ends up having to back up....

Good news for busnuts, Russ and I are always available for backing lessons, you choose FOB Toronto, or FOB 'Frisco.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
JerryH

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »

Did his (or her) bus have mirrors???  Cheesy
Man that sucks grounding out a nice bus like that.

Are the D4500 and D4505s still available with the SS option?

Pretty sure they're available w/ stainless:

"Newlook"  D-Model D45__ :

I prefer the "Newlook" D-Model to the D-Model "Contemporary":

Or keep the Classic:

Some don't like the Newlook D model, saying it looks like they simply glued on a new front.
I've seen them on the streets, and find them Ok.  Way nicer than the funky headlight design on the Contemporary -- which are essentially the same lights as the Newlook ... but they look better there.

Jerry H.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 05:15:59 PM »

Good news for busnuts, Russ and I are always available for backing lessons, you choose FOB Toronto, or FOB 'Frisco.  happy coaching!  buswarrior

Exactly right - private sector especially doesn't teach/allow backing, putting drivers in a Catch-22. 

You can add FOB Dallas TX for backing lessons, particularly how to use mirrors.  We had a driving instructor in the early 70's - if a new driver turned his (in those days) head, instructor would hit him upside the head and yell "Use Your Mirrors". 

My first job was sweeping, then fueling and hostling.  Private operator, we used to have to back them across the lot (after fueling) - if we overlapped the mirrors we could get an extra bus in the row.  (Back then, I could still squeeze out the door - if I tried it now, no go)  Sometimes I still feel more comfortable backing up than driving forward.

Thing is, in backing - you should be able to put the bus with a few inches (I know, 1/2 inch for some), of exactly where you want it - the rear axle making an excellent pivot point. 

Bus Warrior makes a good point - learn, and practice backing.  Just make sure you have a spotter (or rear camera?) to take care of the big blind spot directly aft.

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton, TX

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »

Sorry Runcutter....

Ok, Runcutter, Russ and yours truly...

Always available for personal lessons. 50 States, 10 Provinces and 3 Terrirories.

Co-pilot promoted to Pilot are a specialty!

Learn to drive the coach without that darned husband around!

Transportation costs, FOB Dallas, FOB 'Frisco, FOB Toronto.

Deep discounts in Arcadia at Bussin'07!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 09:38:28 PM »

Hey BW -

That's Fresno, not San Francisco, for yours truly.

BTW, the locals around here call it "The City", rather than 'Frisco.  SF natives HATE "'Frisco"!

FWIW. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 12:25:31 AM »

BTW, the locals around here call it "The City", rather than 'Frisco.  SF natives HATE "'Frisco"!

Yes, Fresno it is. And I'd probably rather do training in a bus there than SF.

Speaking of... and not to play one-upsmanship amongst our trifecta of pro-trainers here on MAK, but I did hear (through a busnut friend of a busnut friend) that of you three, only Russ' training regimen involves coaching the student into safely navigating a 4905 down Lombard Street in The City.

Could be a nasty rumor, though...  Grin

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 04:57:37 AM »

Russ, don't think The City would mean much to most of us. If I saw that posted with no reference to location I would immediately think of New York, or maybe Chicago. You did good BW!
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 01:08:31 PM »

I'll stick to bus stuff and leave the goegraphy to others....

Sorry, Fresno....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: