Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 11:56:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BUS NUT Q&A  (Read 4365 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »

This monthís issue of Travel Life Magazine, published out of Fresno, California on the Left Coast Of America, which is mainly sold out of a Root n Scoot Qwick Trip on the corner of Eucalyptus and Vine in Bakersfield, has an interesting Question and Answer Article on page 23.  Here are a few excerpts from that article.

BUS NUT Q&A

You post a picture of a beautiful landscape somewhere in America.

A Normal Person:  This is a gorgeous shot!  Look at the majestic beauty, such grandeur.  Where was this taken?  Was it crowded over the holidays?

A Bus Nut:  You have five bugs on your windshield, I donít do two lanes.  Are there any hills?

You ask for directions to Yellowstone National Park.

A Normal Person:  You take the Interstate thru Denver to Laramie, Wyoming, and then go north to Jackson Hole, and then you are right outside the park. (Geographically speaking that is)

A Bus Nut:  The best way to go, gee I donít know, I will put up something on the board, surely someone will know.  I will get back to you.  I donít go more than fifty or a hundred miles from our house.

What are the highways in the area like?

A Normal Person:  Pretty good, state just laid new asphalt up on the pass, all the snow has melted off above 8,000 feet, here is the number for the State Highway Patrol.  Nice waterfall at milepost 27.

A Bus Nut:  Miserable, narrow, too many cars, at the top you will be belching all kinds of blue smoke.  9% downhill on the other side, pretty hairy.  You got a Jake?

Have you tried the new White Light Headlights and LEDís available on todayís market?Ē

A Normal Person:  Yes, we have they are really good, the intensity of them and the brightness is just incomparable.  The LEDís have one characteristic we donít care for however, they will not produce enough heat to melt ice and snow.  But we think they are great.

A Bus Nut:  Yeah, we been runniní em but performance aint all that great.  We take a 24 volt headlight and juice it up to 27-30 volts and it gets brighter than the face of the sun ... but that is only for a little while.  They been going faster than the desert tray at a Weight Watchers Meeting, Iíll tell ya ... We drove from South Dakota to the westcoast without lights, now that was a trip, especially in the Safety Corridors where daylight headlights are required day or night, or you get a healthy ticket ... lucky for us, no speed cops and/or clouds that day.

Speaking of Weight Watchers?  Are you in good health these days?

A Normal Person:  I exercise regularly. I eat moderate amounts of healthy food. I make sure to get plenty of rest. I see my doctor once a year and my dentist twice a year. I floss every night. I've had chest xĖrays, cardio stress tests, EKG's and colonoscopies. I see a psychologist and have a variety of hobbies to reduce stress. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I don't have crazy, reckless sex with strangers.

A Bus Nut:  I most always put a handkerchief over my nose when I am spray painting out in the shop.

Is it a good idea to run tires that are over twelve years old?

A Normal Person:  According to the latest data available it is not a good idea as tire compounds break down with age, and then normal road use produces flexing in the sidewalls, heat builds up and the blowouts occur.  This usually occurs somewhere between 50 and 100 miles from home.

A Bus Nut:  Shure, run Ďem after dark, keep your speed below 45MPH and donít over inflate them, should be okay.  But to be on the safe side, always stay in the slow poke lane close to the shoulder.  We once run from way up north all the way to Kalifornia, and didn't even have to check 'em one time.

Are you worried about our economy and state of the nation?

A Normal Person:  Watching the market fall as precipitously as the hopes and dreams of Jessica Simpson and Charlie Sheen, I can't help but think that there one safe bet I can make right now. I have to trust in the simple inertia of a world economy created by hundreds of millions of people manufacturing and servicing stuff that other people need and want.

A Bus Nut:  I have been watching the market sink like a drug-addled hooker with vertigo, it's reasonable to assume that any new world order created by the complete collapse of the free market system will have little use for an unemployed typewriter repairman. For that reason I think it only prudent to hedge my bet. This weekend I plan on learning a few new survival skills, getting my sorry butt off the grid, learn how to forage for berries and hiding from people whose skill set includes shooting wildlife from helicopters.  Deep in my heart, I know, without a doubt, that I will never sell this thing or get the money out of it I put into it.  Have you seen my tape measure?

Do you practice any safe driving practices on the road or use a designated driver?

A Normal Person:  Yes I do, we try to adhere to all speed limits in effect, watch our mirrors at all times.  We make every effort humanely possible to see that we do not crowd anyone or upset them in any fashion.  We always use our turn signals and stay in the appropriate lane.  As for the designated driver thing, well, we have on occasion used them, but that was back when we were young and foolish.

A Bus Nut:  Hammer Down, Hammer Down, Hot Dog!  I got my hammer down.  Whutís up with all these ##@#*! blind spot signs on the back of trucks anyway?  I hate signs ... I mean ... Am I a truck or a car?  As for that other thing, well let me tell ya.  I would like to share an experience with you that has to do with drinking and driving.

As you might already know some of us have had brushes with the authorities on our way home in recent months from some of these here bus rallies.  Well I for one have done something about it. The other night I was out for a dinner and a few drinks with some friends.  Well, after having far too much vino and knowing full well I was wasted, I did something Iíve never done before. I took a bus home!!  I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise, as I had never driven a bus before. 

Is that a new flashlight?

A Normal Person:  Why yes it is.  Itís a the latest led flashlight, it was on sale at the Home Barn, half price.  It is supposed to be able to put blinding spotlight power in your hand.  It is reputed to be the most powerful handheld tactical self-defense flashlight around! This 15 Watt professional-quality flashlight features five 3 Watt Creeô LED bulbs that deliver super-bright 900 Lumens, the equivalent of 5 high-powered flashlights in a single beam. Ultra-bright light is viewable for over one mile! Extra-thick aluminum body provides strength and durability, and can deliver a serious blow to assailants if needed. Anodized finish for scratch and corrosion resistance, just like a bus. Features front and rear O-ring seals and a serrated front edge for breaking glass and self defense. Two Lion rechargeable batteries and charger included.  Built in timer, if you want coffee first thing in the morning. 

A Bus Nut:  Never trust your luck to a flashlight.  Don't fall for a woman who has had intimate relations with one of your rock n'roll heroes (No matter how emotionally evolved you think you are, you will never enjoy listening to Buddy Holly again).  Don't lurk around web sites where people comment about your bus work or mechanical abilities unless you're drunk. Don't use emoticons. You're too old to communicate like a twelve-year old girl.  Don't forget that you are the product of a culture that went stark raving mad about ten thousand years ago. Don't answer critics questions about the residents of Washington D.C. or the state of the nation in the Off Topic Section ... It's a trap.  Never, ever, eat anything bigger than your head (True in the sixties, true today).  Behind every bus nut stands his woman .... Usually looking at the ceiling and rolling her eyes!  One more thing ... Don't believe that ďcrappĒ that you're as young as you feel. Your feelings lie, and the right lane will be closed in fifteen hundred feet (for no apparent reason).  Adjust your thinking accordingly, and always trust in your kerosene lantern.

That Ďbout sum it up?*

DISCLAIMER:  Now you do realize that all of this was tongue and cheek and there is no such place named the Left Coast Of America, dontcha?  Opinions expressed in this post are somewhat educational (I-Donít-think-so-dot-com) and informational in nature and are directed only at individual Bus Nuts based on their specific make, model and unique circumstances.  The material provides general educational information only to the reading audience.  For advice appropriate to your specific situation, please go to Off Topic.  Reprints of this post are strictly prohibited by the NFL and any resemblance to anyone living or dead, was probably on purpose.[/]

Later, have a good weekend.

BCO

*Please feel free to add your own comments and/or issues, highjack it or morph into something else, as some of you often feel led to do (Which will result in it being moved to Off Topic now and consequently will help it beat the rush.)

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »

Hey Guys, Hold my beer and watch this! Grin Grin Grin Wink Wink Wink

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »

That's me! Yaeh, so what of it? Your point?  Grin Grin Grin

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »

Grin ROAD TRIP!! Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 05:58:53 AM »

Grin ROAD TRIP!! Grin

Road trip?  That is rich my friend.

Life has a real bad habit of repeating itself.  It occurred to me today, ďthat I am right back where it was that I started, and I have been down this road before.Ē  I find myself wishing for something that I do not have, for that elusive thing, that will fill the gap in my spirit and bring me a small measure of happiness.  

Five or six years ago, before my leap into the bus community and bus ownership, this is where I was.

Sitting in my favorite chair ... Often late at night, I would pour over the adís of buses for sale, search the internet in vain for that elusive prize, wonder what it would be like to not only own one of these beauties, but to drive one on a road trip.  

Now I am somewhat jaded in that respect, I know what it entails, I know what it costs, I know in the end, the price one must pay in order to live this fantasy.  This is as they say ... Not my first rodeo.

All this I might add was back in the day, when I was only ignored by one .... my wife.

But we all know, it isnít that easy to find a workable dream these days, and the majority of us, will never even come close to experiencing the fulfillment it represents.  So we pine away the days, and the weeks, hoping for a change in our status, which quite frankly, most of the time, doesnít materialize.

Not that long ago, I was talking to a friend of mine about his trips, his coach, what it is that he likes what he dislikes (Larry who owns, maintains and drives a Newell Coach).  He told me that after an extended trip in his coach, that when he did get home, he wanted to park it and not even look at it for a period of two to three weeks.  

That he was most of the time ... "sick of it.Ē

Which is where I seem to be.  I donít believe a road trip is the answer, it goes much deeper than that.  A road trip, for the most part, is one reason I find myself here where I am.  Having my fair share of road trips, breakdowns, resource depletion and disappointments, I have discovered that it has taken away from my quality of life, not added to it.  

And much like my friend ... I find for the most part ... I am sick of this bus.

BCO
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:34:15 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »

That's me! Yaeh, so what of it? Your point?  Grin Grin Grin

Toby Keith wrote a song entitled "How Do You Like Me Now?" and everyone swore it was a song directed towards one of his ex-girlfriends in high school.

He later commented that it was not so ... It was just a song.

Everything in life doesn't have to have a point.

BCO

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:46:44 AM »

"And much like my friend ... I find for the most part ... I am sick of this bus."

I feel your pain.  Being as how I hate to see a fellow bus nut in pain I have a solution.  Give me the bus as soon as possible.  No need to keep suffering. You can deliver the bus to me any time.  I will pay for your airfare home and even cook you dinner Smiley   Just give me a call to let me know when to expect  you.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »

I've had a few breakdowns in the almost 8 years of owning our Silver Eagle. I just prefer to make lemonade out of lemons. I wish I had started 30 years ago, oh the memories, good or bad. Cool It's about making friends for us, and there is no better way in my opinion! Smiley

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »

"And much like my friend ... I find for the most part ... I am sick of this bus."

I feel your pain.  Being as how I hate to see a fellow bus nut in pain I have a solution.  Give me the bus as soon as possible.  No need to keep suffering. You can deliver the bus to me any time.  I will pay for your airfare home and even cook you dinner Smiley   Just give me a call to let me know when to expect  you.

Frank

Nobody gives me anything, same with you Frank.  You want it, come get it and bring your checkbook.  No free lunch in America any more, sorry.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »

I've had a few breakdowns in the almost 8 years of owning our Silver Eagle. I just prefer to make lemonade out of lemons. I wish I had started 30 years ago, oh the memories, good or bad. Cool It's about making friends for us, and there is no better way in my opinion! Smiley

Nothing personal Paul, but get out and about, do 6,000 to 12,000 miles a year or more, instead of sitting in a RV Park and we will see how good your old Eagle does on the breakdown side of life.  Sitting in a campground week in and week out, doesn't lead to breakdown issues, traveling does.

If my memory serves me right, the last time you took yours out, it shelled out a wheel seal, and you were not "singing praises and lemonade about it." I guess that comes under the "good or bad memories part of your comment" eh?  

I want something that is dependable and reliable, not worn out platitudes.

On another note:  Some guy out of New York contacted me on my website and was looking for info on his Eagle, I referred him to EI and you specifically, believe his name is Fred?

Later,

BCO
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:09:06 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »

This convenience store?....is it the one all the school kids use on the way to Foothill High School?  If soosss...I have been to that place.  How about that.  Does anyone care?  Great post...as always.  Thank you. HB of CJ (old coot) (who knows Bakersfield kinda) Smiley Smiley Smiley
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »

This convenience store?....is it the one all the school kids use on the way to Foothill High School?  If soosss...I have been to that place.  How about that.  Does anyone care?  Great post...as always.  Thank you. HB of CJ (old coot) (who knows Bakersfield kinda) Smiley Smiley Smiley

It is kinda like the guy they found in the other guy's closet .... everybody has to be somewhere.  Right?

Thanks Old Coot

BCO

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »

I would not trade what I have, even new ones breakdown.  My wheel seal problem was a minor issue. It just tested my patience and I won.

Paul and smiling! Grin
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:13:08 PM by Dreamscape » Logged

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »

Maybe you should of got a GMC. Just kidding, I know this coming from someone who still has not got our bus home  Grin
Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »

Something is wrong with Normal Person.  He answers "yes" to everything.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: