Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 09:16:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Formica over formica?  (Read 1001 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »

As much as she loves the interior of our bus my wife has informed me that it is possible that she can love it even more...  Roll Eyes  New countertops...  Of course I pointed out that there is nothing wrong with our old countertops, but to my shock and amazement, she was unswayed.

The current counter tops are custom made, simple formica over plywood, non standard dimensions with an L shape at the end.  My question is...  Is there any way to install new formica over old?  I know the standard answer is NO, but is there a way to make it possible and feasible?  Opinions are appreciated.

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

Paint it don't replace the tops the epoxy paint will stick forever you can even make the stuff look like granite or any other stone of your liking or should I say hers lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:28:33 PM »

I repainted ours when we got our bus as a temporary measure to save our sanity until we could decide what we'd like longer term. A little TSP spray to clean the gunk off them, a solid layer of primer, a 2-3 coats of whatever you want for paint and then seal.

We've been so incredibly happy with them, and constantly folks are amazed that they're painted countertops when they tour our bus.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »

Sand the old formica well with 100 grit paper and a dual-action sander, apply contact cement as usual, but don't be stingy with the glue.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »

On things like this, I use a product called Not-now-next-year.  Sometimes it works almost forever.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
dolson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »

do like bottomacher said, sand it with even rougher paper if you have it like 80, then wipe it down with laquer thinner and try to use a professional grade laminate adhesive like Wilsonart 500 and it will stay just fine.  I do it all the time

Doug Olson
Langley, OK
1992 MCI 102C3, 6V92, HT740
http://www.dwolson.com
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »

On things like this, I use a product called Not-now-next-year.  Sometimes it works almost forever.

Lin, I actually like your idea best. 

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:49:14 PM »

go to a top maker and they can measure what you have and make a Quarts type cover that glues right over the top of your counter top. No fuss no muss done.

Dave

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:47:29 AM »

Doug was right about the sand paper the rougher the better. I have used 50 grit or 36 grit, but with those you have to be cautious that you don't put divots in your top. You need something rough for the adhesive to stick to. Is there a reason you can't just replace the whole top? Here in California I have a distributor who sells me the fabricated tops for twice what it costs me just to buy the laminate. It is not a fun job doing laminate work if you are not familiar with it. Replacing whole tops is much easier, especially if someone fabs them for you.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »

Doug was right about the sand paper the rougher the better. I have used 50 grit or 36 grit, but with those you have to be cautious that you don't put divots in your top. You need something rough for the adhesive to stick to. Is there a reason you can't just replace the whole top? Here in California I have a distributor who sells me the fabricated tops for twice what it costs me just to buy the laminate. It is not a fun job doing laminate work if you are not familiar with it. Replacing whole tops is much easier, especially if someone fabs them for you.

Good Luck,

Mike

The worst thing about changing the whole top would be having to remove a windshield to get it in.  I have a friend that is a carpenter with experience with  laminate, maybe I'll get him to take a look. 

MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »

Have your friend look at the layout as far as what it takes to put in new ones. If a shop fabs them for you they usually come in pieces that you assemble in place. I don't know the restrictions of your bus, but I can get full sheets of plywood through the door and around the corner of my 4104.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »

Have you ever done any laminate work? If not get some scrap plywood and give it a try. I have only done it once and it was very easy. I would not hesitate to do it again.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: