Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 04:07:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oil by the barrel  (Read 999 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:10:35 PM »

Anyone know of a good/inexpensive diesel oil distributer by the 55 gal drum in the Houston, TX area?
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »

Hey
Please be aware that good and inexpensive very rarely hang out together. 

On a serious note, please know that all of the major oil companies have raised the price of their oil 4 times this year.  In order to " be very competitive on price " they sell you their house brand oil which they say is LIKE _________ ( fill in your favorite lable/name).

If you were to compare apples to apples just on the TBN ( total base number ) of the house oil to the known labeled product you'd see a 60% or more reduction in TBN number.  Furthermore the addative package is different in the house and known labels.   

If you are looking for some sort of oil to just splash on some total loss system then by all means just put the cheap on it. 

If you would like information on american pumped / american made oil feel free to send me a PM or call 417 439 59 fifty.
Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »

I stick to known and reputible products...I'm just looking for the best price for that "well known" brand...hence the use of the word inexpensive.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »

Houston is a big town what side of town do you live in ,most of the wholesalers are going to be in the towns out side of Houston if you live on the east I know a fanatic Chevron dealer in Liberty Tx and Conroe Tx

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:26:43 AM »

I'm with luvbus when you think about it cost from 8 to 10 thousand dollars to rebuild that engine why take the chance of saving a  few dollars on cheap oil .   If you buy  a prem. oil in bulk and save a few buck go for it. Take it from someone whose has to rebuild a 318 8-v71
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »

I am west of Houston by 50 miles.  A friend of mine found an incredible deal on oil in Wharton.  They were changing brands and had to get shed of all they had.  We paid $2.00 a gallon.  We bought every drop they had.  They had a sister company in I believe he said Angleton.  If I can find the name from my friend I will pass it along.  They might still have that oil and might be selling.  I will hollar back at you later on here.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:00:01 AM »

O’Rourke Petroleum is who we use at work. http://www.orpp.com/divisions/fuels.html Even though we make it we have to sell it first and buy it back to use it. I do not know how often you plan on changing your oil but a 55 gal steel drum is NOT the best way to store it. The more you use the more it will condensate until the bottom of the barrel rust out from all the water in it. If you have to pay a few dollars more for 5 gal pails do it. I use O'Reilly Auto Parts for dello 100. After I ordered my first 9 gal it has become a permanent reorder for them along with my filter. I think it is $14 a gal. It is a once a year thing for me so I cant see saving enough to store oil that will go bad. We at Shell oil co. will not buy bulk oil and store it. If we need 10 gal we order it. Bulk is not always cheaper either. The packaging cost are higher. If you want to, I know where 9 gal are here in Pearland.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »

Makes a difference where you store it, heated garage, insulated garage, unheated and covered but open to elements, outside in the sun and rain, and general geograpical location. Not as much condensation in the south as in the cold snowy north.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 07:01:01 AM »

If you buy Delo 100 sitting in a barrel the stuff has to be remixed depending on how long it sets it separates big time

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:01 AM »

Like any coastal city, I would think Houston would have oil distributors that carry 40weight Delo 100 since there are alot of boats with 2 stroke Detroits still in them.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: