Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 10:20:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to block MC8  (Read 500 times)
rcbeam

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »

I have been getting stuff together to be able to jack up and block up the bus, change tires, etc.  I have looked in the book and I know where to put the jack front and rear, but I can't find anything that says where to place the wood blocking so the body doesn't settle with me under there.  I've read before about using a 4x4 block I think at the pads, but I am not sure where that is.  Without airing up the bus I tried today to look under there to see how easy it would be to check slack adjusters on the ground... I only weigh #155 and I can't under there enough to see squat with the bags down.

So where do I place the blocking after I jack it up in the front and rear?  I don't want to screw up any body parts.
Thanks again,

Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
www.sweeteveningbreeze.blogspot.com
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »

Not sure this will help much but this is a pic took from my MC-9 manual for another guy asking this same question.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
rcbeam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »

John:  Thx for the pic.  I thought at first that what the pic showed was jack points, BUT... I went to see my friend at one of the local charter companies and he showed me on the only MC9 they have left and you are right.  On the rear, it is between the tag and drive tires where the lower radius rod connects, and the front is a post looking thing just in front of the wheel assembly.

Now I know. Thx John for your reply.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:44:20 PM by rcbeam » Logged

Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »

Hold the phone...

You want to put a solid 4x4 into the space between the rubber axle bump stop and the axle.

In order to prevent the body from lowering from ride height with an air loss.

That picture doesn't show that.

You also want to put some blocking at the jack points shown in the picture, if you aren't lifting the coach, to protect against a tire going flat while under there.

If you lift the coach, the jack points will be in use by the jack, then you need to put some blocking under the solid bits that support the axle.

Jacks are not supports, they are for lifting. Solid blocking/cribbing/lumber is used to support a raised coach.

So, in summary, your defenses are arranged so that:

you don't want a lowering suspension to kill you,

you don't want a flattening tire to kill you,

And you don't want a jack lifting a coach to kill you.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
rcbeam

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »

Buswarrior:  You brought up a good point that I guess I didn't realize.  Blocking up the bus after jacking and blocking up the body in case of air loss are two different things.  I guess from what you are saying, there is only one place to block up the body in case of air loss and that would be the axle bumper space.  I haven't jacked it up yet and how no clue to where that space is, but figure it may be obvious to me once I get the wheels off and can see in there. 

It sounds like the places I was told about already are really bus blocking points and not body points.

Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: