Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:03:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm sure I bought the wrong bus  (Read 4077 times)
Bus Busted
My other truck is a Bus!

1984 Eagle 10, 1986 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »

I need to thank "5B Steve" for coming over and giving the bus a good once over. He pointed out a few things letting me know what they were and what I needed to do to maintain them. We were able to get it out of water lock and fire it up for  a min or two so it would idle. Couldn't run it more than that as there was a little water in the oil now (about a Qt). We went and picked up 12 gal of the right oil (it had 15W40 in it) and I'll be draining it and putting in the Shell Rotella SAE 40. I'll dump the filter, but not replace it at this time as I'm sure that will happen soon when the heads are looked at. With fresh oil I'll be able to move it around a little, let it run til it gets warm, and set up a time when East Side Welding can take a look at it. I have a few more tests to do like seeing if there's water getting to the radiators. Thanks again Steve

1985 Eagle waiting repair of burn damage
1984 Eagle Model 10, just started conversion
1986 MCI 102A3, seated when bought, conversion on hold until Eagle is done
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »

I tried to copy the info on the GLCC Elkhart Bus Rally, but I could not paste the PDF file.   If you send me your email, I will send it.  Basically

Great Lakes Converted Coach
Oct 12-16
Elkhart Campground, Elkhart, IN
Hosts Pat and Vickie Lintner 574-674-8991
Breakfast and dinner provided

Let Pat and Vickie know if you are planning to attend so they can plan accordingly.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Bus Busted
My other truck is a Bus!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »

Well I made a big step with my bus, I had the police come out and fill out the paperwork to plate it. I have been running it twice daily (only until it warms up) and it has started to smooth out even though it still has some big issues that need fixed soon. I found I could get it up to 30mph in my driveway and that it would run for 15-20min before getting good and warm. I live about a mile from a Speedway station and their diesel is $3.65 right now. I thought this would be a good time to run down and fill her up when it got late enough. It was showing I had 1/4 of a tank (156 gal tank) so I set off down the road at 30 mph. It was going as smooth as it could with it's issues and handled the two red lights, both which I had to stop for, really well.

I pulled in, shut it off, and prepaid $300. First thing I found was that I have to hold the pump or it slides out of the tube. Second, as soon as you pull in a station it doesn't matter how late it is, 9:00pm my time, everyone takes that time to pull in too. As I stood pumping I saw both forward and behind get blocked with cars and a double trailer UPS truck. Then at about $175 it clicks off I have filled 5gal containers with diesel and know that it can "foam?" a little so I let it sit for a min while a checked the engine temp, it was on the cool side of warm. So I went back to pumping and got another $25 in it, but it was real full. So I guess the gas gauge moves, but is not that close. I was thinking $569 to fill it from empty, so 1/4 a tank should have taken $300-$400 to fill. Well after settling the money, I had to ask the UPS driver (who was waiting for them to make a new pot of coffee) to come out and make sure I could clear his rig when I left. Returning home I took it up to 40mph and there was the smoke I knew I would see so I backed it down to 30 and got it home safely / no tow truck.

I will be removing the heads in the next week or two and the only place I know to get the o-rings and stuff for the heads would be MCI. Any thought on the best price for these parts along with the oil and other filters would be a help. We will be checking for cracks and other signs of engine wear at that time so I will have my fingers crossed that she's going to be more than a large mobile storage unit. Thanks for any input, Jon

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »

These people make it easy for you guys to order parts from www.dieselpro.com

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

Again Clifford is correct! Ya don't order Detroit Diesel parts from MCI! Just like ya don't order MCI parts from Prevost. (unless they are on sale!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »

Don't buy a head there I can get you both for 1200 bucks  not a welded heads either

good luck 

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Bus Busted
My other truck is a Bus!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »

Thanks, checked out Diesel Power Pro and the price looks right. If I see cracks on the heads I'm going to look a little deeper into the engine, if it's just the heads I'll get a hold of Clifford. If it's more I might get a hold of Clifford anyway just to get his thoughts before getting a pulled engine from "Busted Knuckle" in TN.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: