Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 08:26:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to find? cook top Magnetic?  (Read 1781 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »

Saw a fmca vendor. uses special pans to cook but has no apparent heat source. can some one jog my memory? Any one used it?   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »

That would be induction cooktop. You need pans that a magnetic will stick to.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:55:16 PM »

We have a 2 burner Fagor induction here in the house they are pricey for a 2 burner unit buy the separate single hob units and build it in  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:57:07 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »

trying to decide what to use in new build. have had gas and elect was thinking about something differant this time.  Do they work good?   Bob

dolson

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »

I have a two burner induction in the bus. It has a completely smooth top and is set in totally flush with the corian top and looks very good. we just use it for counter space when not cooking. Think it was 4-5 hundred bucks but its really fast and generates almost no heat.  Can get you more info and a pic if your interested.

Doug Olson
Langley, OK
1992 MCI 102C3, 6V92, HT740
http://www.dwolson.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »

Thanks Doug Judy's on line now. What brand did you use? They seem to be in line with the price of the electric smooth cook top I used in past.  Advantage will be no heat after use and therefore probably easier to keep clean. Bob

technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »

We LOVE our induction cooktop.

We just did a video "boil off" with our other bus-nut friends Ben & Karen - the video showing off our portable induction cooktop vs their 230v electric range in their Prevost is posted in this blog post here:

http://www.technomadia.com/2011/09/so-we-meet-again/

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »

Those are sold by wattage Bob be careful and get enough wattage and the more the temp setting and wattage the better she will like it, like everything all the little upgrades will cost you lol ,

Then you can buy a new set of cookware seriously my wife loves the induction cooking pay close attention to the pattern on the top ones with a small pattern don't work as good as a large pattern I found out or so I was told  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:54:53 PM by luvrbus » Logged

dolson

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »

I got mine from Amazon, there are many of them on there.  I think this is the one I have but not positive, I have not been out to the bus yet.
http://www.amazon.com/RamblewoodGreen-Hob-Induction-Cooktop-ICQ2-31C1/dp/B001GIUPYQ/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1317075386&sr=8-34

Doug Olson
Langley, OK
1992 MCI 102C3, 6V92, HT740
http://www.dwolson.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 06:15:38 PM »

got one comming!  Special pots&skillet required? or will stainless work?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »

If a magnet sticks and are flat bottom they work Bob just go to Bed Bath and Beyond with a magnet is all I can tell you if it sticks it works and cast iron works on one. FWIW  Sonja paid 2500 for cookware and I cannot tell the difference in taste lol

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:45:39 PM »

Clifford  got  cast iron: don't know why but has been collecting around here for awhile.  will experiment if not grab the magnet and go shopping.  Thanks for the tip.  By  the way hope your health gets better soon! I just now am getting better after 4 months and surgery myself. Sure feels better on the up side.  Best wishes to better health.   Bob

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:01 PM »

the price we pay for getting old Bob I am on the uphill side now I feel good no pain other that the normal wishing you the best also

good luck   

technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »

The biggest challenge I've had with cooking on induction is re-thinking how I approach putting together a meal.

In the past, I used to have time to start the heat going, get the oil heated or water boiling - and then assemble my ingredients as needed. 

However, because induction gets the heat up so quickly, I instead have to get whatever I'm going to be needing for phase one of my dish prepared, chopped, etc.  before I turn the heat on.    There's just simply not as much idle time, especially upfront.  Once its up to heat, it's pretty much the same tho.   Oh, and I love that the induction temperature changes are instantaneous, much like cooking on gas.

I've not tried it yet, but I hear that hard boiling eggs is challenging - because eggs need that extended heat ramp up time, which induction doesn't give.  I've seen tutorials and videos out there on the subject, but haven't gotten that far yet with researching it yet.

Enjoy the induction power Smiley 
 - Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »

Cherie, I can even boil eggs lol heat the water till it boils turn it off when it stops bubbling drop the eggs in cover the pot and let set for 20 minutes perfect every time see and you thought I was just a pretty face.
Sonja showed me how to do that I would put the eggs in first and bring to a boil on the induction what a mess and they all cracked

good luck

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: