Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 01:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to modify?  (Read 911 times)
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:11:12 AM »

When helping a fellow bus nut with his vintage GM air filter, we found that it had been modified. The parts used are now old and unusable, oh and homemade. We are on day 4 of changing an airfilter! Shocked
Why would someone modify from specs?
Why would you?
Why have you?
M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:48 AM »

The old filter system on GM's suck if you modify and do it right it is not a problem,I'll help him get that mess straighten out this winter I saw it and  it was a cobbled up mess it was the right idea but the workman ship left a lot to be desired on that one and they were so proud of that bus I didn't say a word except that it was a good idea,couple of hours we can have it were you can change that filter in 10 minutes
It should have been put in the corner and stood up with a steel tube and rubber fitting going to the engine

good luck
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:33:19 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »

luvrbus - please always feel free to tell us what is a cobbled up mess on our bus.  We brought it to you specifically because you are a highly regarded expert, and wanted your honest opinion on what issues we should be addressing.  Yes, we are proud of the bus..  but know darn sure that we're ignorant when it comes to the mechanical aspect (especially when we saw you).  We are learning more and more everyday, and bow to the experience of others in these matters.

And besides.. we knew from day one you're much more than just a pretty face Smiley

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »

The air cleaner was the only real mess I saw on your bus and it was air tight so that wasn't a problem to me( Chris may have reservations now) a strong runner, not many oil leaks,easy air leaks to fix, new tires and wheels I didn't see problems but 4 days to change a air cleaner was worst than I thought lol so come around this winter and we will get that hiccup fixed IMO you and Chris did good on the purchase nice ride 

good luck

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:15:21 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »

Well..  to be fair, 4-days to fix...  but only putting a bit of effort in each day.  I think had we actually had a get around car (next major project on the list to obtain), we might have ditched trying to make the existing parts work, and go out and find other solutions.

We've also been putting a lot of effort into other projects, like getting our new dual desk unit installed and ya know, work.  And if it weren't for all these fun social actives M&C put on here, we'd have a heck of a lot more time for projects. Wink

But still... 10 minutes would be an excellent improvement, and we'll definitely stop in next time we're in the area for a luvrbus magic touch Smiley

Many thanks to M&C for taking us out last night to get the flexible ducting and aluminum tape for the temp fix to get us on the road, and thanks to M for lending some muscle and brain power to the project.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »

Micheal

I had my bus modified from an 8V71 with a standard trans to an L10 with an auto just because I could and it seems to be an improvement.

Probably the MAIN reason for mods from stock are because of cost savings and presumed improvement in operation or servicing

Are there any other questions I can answer for you?Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: