Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 01:37:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: door locks and closer  (Read 507 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:17:43 AM »

i've got an RV door lock and a deadbolt.  it used to close ok and i just locked the deadbolt to keep it from coming open while driving.  I contacted Eagle for some suggestions, found they had just finished redisigning another model 15 and they quoted me the parts to fix my door after telling me what i had was not only a bad idea, but not an approved lock for a bus.  Long story short, i ordered the parts, paid thru paypal, and thank goodness for paypal refunds.  i think eagle bus is out of business.  can't even get them to answer phones or texts.
so now i still need to fix the door.  if i pull real hard on it, i can get the deadbolt locked.  from outside, if i lean on the door, i can turn the deadbolt key to lock it.  bad part is there's no way fran can open it, she just can't push hard enough to release pressure.

so who's got an old door lock to replace mine?  i need a way to keep it from flying open in the wind, to pull it tightly shut to reduce air noise, and lock it tightly but be easy to open at the right time.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

Tom,

I don't know what an RV lock is but my 4107 has an identical door latch to the cab-over semi I used to drive. It has a long locking button just above the inside lever type door handle and a flush square door handle on the outside.

It would pop open just as you say and the dead bolt would be too tight for my wife to open.

So, first I found that the rubber gasket at the door frame was keeping the door from latching. I cut off an inch of the gasket and it latched, finally, for the first time.

Next I found that the door frame catch for the door latch was worn out and mis-adjusted. I welded some new metal onto the catch and filed/ground it to near the original shape.

Now it works fine but I lock it just in case. Sometimes, when the temp makes a drastic change, it will be hard to unlock/unlatch, but normally works fine.

I removed the dead bolt when it failed and locked us in the bus at a rest stop, had to be rescued by a truck driver! I have a new dead bolt and will install it when I get around to it but have really found no need for it for the past four months and 5,000 miles. However, it is a good backup in case the door latch fails.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: