Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 02:39:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panel above windsheld -Damage :(  (Read 714 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »

The panel above the windshield.   I took my bus for the first drive today today since I brought it home! - Anyway I took it to the glass shop to repair this panel above the windshield.  They couldn't get it to go back.  Too much damage.
So, Where do I get a replacement?  Would you use anything else?  I thought of aluminum???

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:25:37 AM by Tikvah » Logged

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:25:15 AM »

Nobody has ever replaced one of these?
Anyone know how to replace?

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:43:05 AM »

It looks to just be a plastic panel in a rubber bead, so could be replaced in the same way as a windscreen. Is the plastic panel damaged, or the surround? Either way, repair or replace it back to how it should be, or cover it up (my bus has exactly the same panel there, but it's going to be covered up by the front cap).

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:11:32 AM »

Yes, it's just plastic... plexiglass.
I need to replace it, but I don't know who to call for a replacement.

I thought I would get a couple replies with some suggestions.  Some folks on this forum might even know a part number. 

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:57 AM »

Did they break it? It should have went back. if it is plastic can be ground down a little to help.  Or just cover as you said with alum and insulate behind.  This is a area of greater heat gain and loss in a coach so less area and more insulation is better.   if they broke it they have insurance--that's why they charge so much for simple work.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:01:34 AM »

Is it a moulded (pre-shaped) panel, or flat sheet bent into shape and held there by the rubber? If the latter then just buy a new piece from your local plastic supplier (and note that it will probably be polycarbonate (Lexan) rather than acrylic (Perspex / Plexiglass)). If it is a moulded panel - yes, you will need a part number and buy it as an MCI spare part.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:02:04 AM »

They didn't break anything.  It  was like this when I bought the coach.  I asked them to put it back in the seal, but it won't go back to shape.  So, I assume I just need to replace it with a new one.
Yes, it seems to be pre-moulded.  They can't seem to bend it without it snapping back to the wrong shape.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:27 AM »

Heat gun.  do it all the time.  makes flexible get what you can in and heat stubborn area all the way across under constant pressure -keep heat moving.  or just use alum.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »

Get ahold of Brian Diehl. He just replaced his this spring with a piece of Alucobond (the same stuff I used for siding on my bus).  It looked great when I saw it in July.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: