Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 12:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dometic refer question  (Read 2057 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »

I ain't selling Dometic.  Don't misunderstand me.  My point is that mine and apparently others are having unbelievable service from these older units.  40 or 50 years is worth mentioning.  So is that the current crop is a disaster.  Companies, like people, take turns in product reliability.  You now have a reason to ask anyone that is advocating Dometic just what year manufacture are they referring to.  Norcold used to be the dog but that may have changed.  From what I have heard here a used non=electric control Dometic might have a certain attraction,  There are shops that rebuild used Dometics from yesteryear and offer a warranty better than Dometic new.  One is located in Oxnard. California and a better one is located in Arkansas.  Clifford suggested the Arkansas guy and I think he is better as he includes shipping and his price is still lower.

Enjoy the search.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bsharpe

1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »

Thanks for the clarification.

I compared the 110 to 110 simply because it seemed more apples to apples.   Yeah, if you want/need to run the refer off of 12/24v then the Whirlpool is out of the question.

However, if you run the refer off an inverter -- even with the inefficiencies of doing so, aren't you only using maybe 10-30% more power than the DC unit? for a $2k cost savings and more repair options?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »

I don't get the full scope of your reasoning, you pay big bucks for a pure sine inverter which is a must and it uses 10% of the power for it's own use which leads to more generator time for charging, your battery bank is lager, and more cables to clean

If something happens to inverter it's either pole or generator to run the Whirlpool fridge, with a SunFrost a single 12 volt group 27 will run one for 2 days without a problem  
The SunFrost has 3 or 4 times the insulation, they are quieter and don't generate 1/2 the heat of a house type fridge they are well worth the difference in price IMO yours may vary  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:42:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
bsharpe

1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »

Ah, thanks!   That's exactly what I was looking for.   

Reasoning implies that I know what I'm doing...at this point - I don't.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: