Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 04:51:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We need Used Motor Oil. Leaving in two weeks...  (Read 2326 times)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2011, 03:23:53 AM »

Hi all,

Heather and I are prepping for our drive from Hamburg, PA to Orlando, FL in two weeks. We're a couple of the nutcases experimenting with waste motor oil/tranny fluid fuel. We have the means to filter/clean and eventually centrifuge it. We are stopping for the night somewhere around Fayetteville, NC (give or take) and if you are near there and have a bunch of the stuff, we'll take it from you. Think of it as helping out a fellow busnut...a real nut. Thanks all. And for those of you who are about to commit us to the insane ward, don't bother...we're like Murdock on the "A-Team", we'll break out whenever we need to.  Wink

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:22 AM »

Enjoy yourselves!!  If I were closer I would throw you some fuel your way.  I like to think of it as an alternative FUEL style Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:46 AM »

What are you thinning your oil with?

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:35:48 AM »

Thanks for the gesture Smiley 10% RUG. It is still warm enough that viscosity isn't an issue and we'll burn through an entire tank on the trip so 10% should be enough.

Scott & Heather
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:36:38 AM »

Have you used it yet, and what were the results?

Steve 5B.....
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »

Yes. We have 1000 miles under out belt with 70% WMO. Results so far are just a hair more smoke than we used to have. I say that conservatively since my wife followed me the whole way and didn't notice any smoke issues, but I could see there was slightly more (in my side mirror). Not enough to even notice unless a very white concrete road is the background for contrast. This doesn't mean I will not have issues down the road. My main concern is ash buildup. Other than that, we're in the experimental trial and error phase.

Scott & Heather
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »

Please keep us informed. I have some wmo sitting around waiting for me to experiment with. Admittedly though Im still chicken when it comes to wmo. It is way easier to get in Cally then wvo so Im really interested.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »

Teresa, there is a old old saying  "Detroit's don't die a natural death they are murdered"  

good luck  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:11:22 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »

Teresa, there is a old old saying  "Detroit's don't die a natural death they are murdered"  
good luck  

Love this!  Cheesy  Tis true...

Scott & Heather
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »

Buses are pretty cheap nowadays compared to fuel  Grin

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »

Hey, Scotty, have you thought of heating the WMO to take care of the volatility problem, like the WVO'ers do?  I guess you'd have to have a "start tank" with either dino diesel or "thinned" WMO but once the heating unit was up to temp, you wouldn't have the issues of gasoline in your fuel.

Justa thought ...

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »

T I don't know how you are going to use any alt fuel in the state you live in they tax WVO and pay the guys 25 cents a gal to pickup waste oil and they keep records of waste engine oil.
I don't want to end up like the guy in AZ he had his pickup all sign up and had been on TV with info about using waste oil and wvo and while in a Fry parking lot he was telling a guy how much he saves and how much it cost to make and made a big deal about the taxes even told the guy he had made and used over 10,000 gals probably blowing smoke lol

Long story short the guy he telling this too worked for the state of AZ now he is facing fines of 10 bucks a gal plus other fines more people that go that route more restrictions and laws will follow you can bank on that, with the little loyalty card they track your your oil purchases 

good luck  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:38:42 AM by luvrbus » Logged

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »

T I don't know how you are going to use any alt fuel in the state you live in they tax WVO and pay the guys 25 cents a gal to pickup waste oil and they keep records of waste engine oil.
I don't want to end up like the guy in AZ he had his pickup all sign up and had been on TV with info about using waste oil and wvo and while in a Fry parking lot he was telling a guy how much he saves and how much it cost to make and made a big deal about the taxes even told the guy he had made and used over 10,000 gals probably blowing smoke lol

Long story short the guy he telling this too worked for the state of AZ now he is facing fines of 10 bucks a gal plus other fines more people that go that route more restrictions and laws will follow you can bank on that, with the little loyalty card they track your your oil purchases 

good luck  

Yeah! Cally sucks, Im surprised to hear this about AZ as well. Here in Cally the backyard brewer has to get licensed, use a certain weight vehicle for pickup, have $1million insurance, special tags, can only have 165 gallons at a time on his property, has to have certain spec'd sign when doing pickups, etc. etc. etc. and if the backyard brewer is caught breaking any of these laws just once then they are forever banned from having a license to do it legally! The restaurants have to account for every gallon going in and every gallon going out their place or they can lose their license as well. Written records showing who what when and where have to be kept by the home brewer and the restaurant or licenses are taken away.

When I travel, I like to do it out of state and I have family out of state that helps me out on the wvo (actually he makes bio diesel). I ran a craigslist ad once asking for oil to just see what would come out of it (before I knew about the laws) and although no one responded with wvo, I got tonz of calls for wmo pick up mostly from home mechanics. It would be easy to pick up that stuff.

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:27:21 AM »

Ditto. WMO is different than WVO. Thankfully. And I'm literally going to people's houses to collect their oil. The EPA is encouraging people to burn this stuff. It's recycling Smiley  Check out this article:

EPA Policies Encourage Fuel Uses for Used Motor Oil

ANALYSIS OF
Tipping the Scales for Re-Refining
  Lewis Gaines Council Member
January 02, 2007
Premise
1) The EPA encourages waste oil recovery by not classifying used motor oil (UMO) as a hazardous waste and by permitting its use as fuel in many applications with minimal air pollution requirements.

2) Re-refining of used motor oil to fresh lube basestock, while capturing the currently large spread between crude and basestock value is a complex process requiring significant capital and technology investment.

3) Fuel uses for UMO will continue to grow putting pressure on re-refining margins by increasing demand for the limited supply of readily available UMO
Discussion
The increasing penetration of Do-It-For-Me (DIFM) oil change outlets is increasing the supply of used motor oil (UMO) as a useful raw material for upgrading. Local collectors contract with generators for access to their supplies in a competitive market with low barriers to entry.

Uses for used motor oil include simple fuel applications (principally in asphalt plants), simple upgrade to marine diesel fuel, and re-refining to high quality lube base stock. Most of the UMO is currently burned as collected in a variety of simple processes which recover the energy value of the UMO thereby displacing new fuel purchases.

EPA does not classify UMO as a hazardous waster permitting straightforward transportation without significant regulatory burdens. This policy is a deliberate and is designed to encourage recovery and avoid "backyard" disposal by individuals and businesses. Further flexibility on used oil burning permits many local markets for UMO as a fuel product.

One US plant is upgrading UMO to marine diesel fuel in a relatively simple process requiring only distillation and sediment removal.

There are also two US facilities which re-refine UMO to recycled lube base stock.  Re-refined base stock can be used to prepare new motor oil by the addition of the same additives required in virgin base stock. However this process is relatively sophisticated requiring significant further processing and capital investment. The benefits are further limited by the cost to deliver large quantities of a dispersed resource.

Since the energy savings for re-refining versus fuel application are relatively small, current policies and economics favor burning or minor upgrading over conversion to fresh lube basestock.

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »

Places that make fuel and gasoline from waste engine oil crack the waste engine oil same process that is used when making fuel or gasoline they don't blend it gasoline, you need a more recent EPA ruling on waste engine oil a 2004 article is not up to date ,
You spill waste oil on the ground they make you dig a 4x4x2 hole for each gal spill and haul the dirt off site to be aired or cooked don't ask how I know this lol  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:47:53 AM by luvrbus » Logged

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 06:36:01 AM »

Places that make fuel and gasoline from waste engine oil crack the waste engine oil same process that is used when making fuel or gasoline they don't blend it gasoline, you need a more recent EPA ruling on waste engine oil a 2004 article is not up to date ,
You spill waste oil on the ground they make you dig a 4x4x2 hole for each gal spill and haul the dirt off site to be aired or cooked don't ask how I know this lol  

good luck

That sucks!

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »

bummer. Hope that doesn't happen to me. I hate digging holes.  Undecided In any case, plenty of you wonderful folk have messaged me about your WMO, so I'm good to go for this trip. Thanks all for helping me either get to Florida for cheap, or for helping me murder my engine. Either way, we'll still be friends....promise.  Smiley

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »

Good luck Scotty hope it works good for you but it won't be a problem all the wonderful people that messaged you off the board they will be the first inline with their checkbooks to help you pay to rebuild your engine you can bank on that LOL 
I will give you credit with trying to filter it good most don't do that, get back with us in about 30,000 miles ok 

good luck
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:12:32 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »

Good luck Scotty hope it works good for you but it won't be a problem all the wonderful people that messaged you off the board they will be the first inline with their checkbooks to help you pay to rebuild your engine you can bank on that LOL I will give you credit with trying to filter it good most don't do that, get back with us in about 30,000 miles ok 
good luck

They made me sign a disclaimer. Ok not really. But I met my first nut today...Kurt in Peach Bottom, PA. Blowing my Detroit is totally worth it if I can meet all of these other Busnuts Smiley

Scott & Heather
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »

Scott and Heather:
    Not sure it fits your schedule, but this coming weekend a whole passel of bus nuts are gathering in SC. Chance to meet some great people.
    Check for an earlier post on this board from Kyle Brandt regarding his 'Non Rally' at Palmetto Cove Camp Ground, near Spartanburg.
    You would be welcomed, and there would be a fair amount of interest in your alternative fuel style. Might even be some WMO.
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »

Scott and Heather:
    Not sure it fits your schedule, but this coming weekend a whole passel of bus nuts are gathering in SC. Chance to meet some great people.
    Check for an earlier post on this board from Kyle Brandt regarding his 'Non Rally' at Palmetto Cove Camp Ground, near Spartanburg.
    You would be welcomed, and there would be a fair amount of interest in your alternative fuel style. Might even be some WMO.
Mike in GA

Thanks Mike. We'd be there in a heartbeat (or should I say a piston stroke) if we could. We're not heading out of PA and on to FL until October 16. We actually leave on Friday Oct. 14, head to Ashburn, VA, then on Sunday morning at 10 am we're pushing off to Apopka, FL for the winter. Count us out on this one, but maybe a future one...

Scott & Heather
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »

BCM rally runs Oct 14-17th and I'm sure there will be left overs a couple days later!

Only 571 Miles from Ashburn and 250 extra miles over the original destination miles!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »

BCM rally runs Oct 14-17th and I'm sure there will be left overs a couple days later!

Only 571 Miles from Ashburn and 250 extra miles over the original destination miles!
Grin  BK  Grin

You just might convince us Smiley Let me spend some time on the map...

Scott & Heather
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »

In addition to the Choo Choo Rally, there is also the Oct 27-30 Southeast Bus Nuts annual gathering in Hoboken (southeast) GA, near JAX, not far off I-95, or about 100 miles east of I-85 enroute to Apopka. About 50-60 buses usually. Follow the link:
www.southeastbsnuts.org
Cheers!
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »

We have some potential changes to our plans since I just received a call that I might be in a television studio doing some filming late this month in Maryland. So, that might kill our plans to leave the 16th. The GA rally might actually be more on our radar now. Ugh. I have no idea where we'll be in the next three weeks...and it's killing me. I do know we'll be in PA, MD, VA, DE, FL, and AZ. Those are just the places we're staying at least a night or two. All in the next three weeks.  Undecided

Scott & Heather
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: