Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 12:44:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tioga Pass  (Read 645 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »

We came over Tioga Pass last Saturday. Won't do it again unless we get a lighter towed. I had to unhook the truck and the wife drove it through the pass. I was down to 10 mph in first gear and couldn't keep it cool so off came the truck. It is a full size ford diesel weighing in around 8500. Just too heavy. Need to find me a little suv to pull around. There some tight curves going through the park and i scrubbed the outside right dual on a few of them. Not a fun pass in a big heavy bus. once i unhooked the pick-um-up it was like driving a sports car. baby just runs good.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »

This past summer, we went over that pass.  We chose to leave the bus in Lee Vining and drive the Jeep though.  I hope you went to Mono Lake while you were nearby.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »

Way back in 1970 and 1971 (before recorded history) we occasionally drove the relief route that took a 4104(T) from the valley floor up over that pass on up to Reno.

The Gimmy was not stock.  The pony A/C motor had been worked on and the 671 had been modified with a nice turbo and I believe intercooler if memory serves. 

Anyhow, it would climb up the grade at around 20 mph backed off somewhat in 2nd gear and go down at the same speed riding the gadget called a Jake Brake.  Cool.

HB of CJ (old coot)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »

I love that pass. When I drove over it in my 4106 I had a lot of company. Quite a few 45' Tour buses. They could tear through it like it was flatland!

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: