Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 02:38:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House Toilet vs RV Toilet  (Read 7839 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 09:53:22 AM »

Lin, you get what you pay for if the RV style works for you good I just don't like the pedal valve you know like the different ice cream flavors thing, and  the high end rv comment was for TomC and his Sealand

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »

Clifford, you do get what you pay for, and I don't mean to say that I do not appreciate luxuries that may be more complex than the basic.  If I go to a hotel, I think that the remote contolled, automatic electric curtains are cool. However, I would not install such a thing at home where I might have to be responsible for fixing them.  This hobby has enough maintenance without building in some more.  But, of course, I am a bit lazy.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 10:46:23 AM »

I have been using a $300 Kohler low profile house toilet in my bus for 10 years and love it.  I like it so much I bought two more for my new house. 

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »

I think you will find hidden in the rules of many campgrounds statements that allow them to charge you for any damage you cause.

It just like causing damage at a motel, if you tear up the room or steal the television, you will be charged for it. If you leave water running in a motel room, and plug the drains up, they can and usually will charge you for the damage.

Besides, these aren't my rules, I am only required to enforce them, although I can't say that I disagree with this particular rule. I was merely trying to inform you and others what the consequences of your actions could be.

So, what are the rules exactly?.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »

do you mean in general, (I think you will find hidden in the rules of many campgrounds statements that allow them to charge you for any damage you cause.) or the rules that I have to follow? (Besides, these aren't my rules, I am only required to enforce them, although I can't say that I disagree with this particular rule.)

Every business has rules in place to try to protect itself from damage caused by customers. In the case of campgrounds, RV parks, Motels, Hotels, Hostels, etc., you are at the mercy of not only the proprietor, but also the state or province where you are.
For instance, about a year and a half ago we had a lady staying here with her 40' 25 year old fifth wheel camper. It looked good on the outside, but had been badly abused on the infrastructure during it's life. She left for a week or two to go home, (she was a welder on the local gas pipeline), but left her camper. She also neglected to turn the water off to the camper. The house toilet she had installed in place of the RV toilet poured water into the septic tank, along with 20 other users who dumped their holding tanks into the same Septic over the same period numerous times.
This flooded the septic tank and the field, requiring a pump out and having the field opened and sucked out also.
If it was your campground, would you have charged her for it, or would you have eaten the charges?
This happens, or something like it, at least 5 times a year. At that rate, that's $4250.
What you may not understand is that smaller campgrounds, like ours that aren't 'Destination' parks, don't make loads of money, contrary to popular belief. We can only charge what the traffic will bear. Would I like to charge more to spread the costs of pump outs among everyone? Sure, but then the price of a spot would be way out of line with all the other campgrounds within 300 miles.
We charge $27/night for a full hookup, (water, sewer, garbage, pool, 20/30/50 electric and wifi), monthly is $325 plus .13˘KwH.
Taxes on this place have been running $16,000/year.
Many campers love to run their A/C 24/7 and keep it meat locker cold in their campers because WE pay the bills! (Electric costs us .11˘/KwH and I've seen campers use 23 KwH in a 24 hour period). In the winter, campers like to use space heaters to warm a piece of junk $6,000 camper warm.
Maybe I am too critical, maybe I'm too harsh, maybe... but I don't own this place. My bosses require me to follow certain rules that require me to make our guests follow certain rules. How would you feel if you parked over night and were told you couldn't dump because the RV parked next to you flooded the tanks because of a faulty flapper valve? Would you feel that you got your money's worth by stopping at this campground?

For those of you that I'm being nasty or critical, think of it this way, a campground is a business, if it doesn't make a profit it won't be in business. If the cost of your stupidity is more than the cost of your site, you pay for it. It's an easy learning curve.

Most of the time, this never ever comes up. That's because most people have the intelligence to monitor their actions. If you won't stop here because you might get charged for causing damage, or if I seem abrasive, I'm sorry for your loss.

Yup, I'm "Just Dallas". I am on this earth to please me.. not you. It pleases me to tell the truth about campgrounds, RV parks, Motels, Hotels and Hostels. If you don't like the rules, please pass on by. I get enough everyday that pitch a bitch about things like having to have a password to use the wifi. If you think our rules are stiff, ask at your favorite resort destination about what they will charge you for if you cause damage.

Or, if you want to go to a campground and drink way too much, (My favorite sport), and let you grubby urchins run wild, starting fires or playing "nail the tail to the poodle", please pass on by. Those are actual occurrences here, and probably at every other campground you've been to.

Good luck to every one of you.

I think you will find hidden in the rules of many campgrounds statements that allow them to charge you for any damage you cause.

It just like causing damage at a motel, if you tear up the room or steal the television, you will be charged for it. If you leave water running in a motel room, and plug the drains up, they can and usually will charge you for the damage.

Besides, these aren't my rules, I am only required to enforce them, although I can't say that I disagree with this particular rule. I was merely trying to inform you and others what the consequences of your actions could be.

So, what are the rules exactly?.

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
jbnewman

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »

I've been considering adding a valve to my home drain line. I want it to track and weigh toilet output. Such will be tweeted. Perhaps posted to Facebook. Gotta keep up with the Joneses. Maybe such a valve would be useful in a campground. I guess I should patent, manufacture, and market. With any luck someone already has.

Grin

-jbn

-jbn
Justin
Chicago, Illinois

No bus.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »

A couple of points for Dallas.

1.  RV or marine toilets are just as susceptible to bad valves and leaking as are home toilets.  I've had the foot pedal stick on mine.

2.  It seems to me that your campground waste system is completely inadequate.  If one leaky toilet can overwhelm the system, something is wrong. If they are spending $4k a year in pump outs, perhaps it would be better to invest that money in the system capacity.

3.  I'm guessing you could not handle a bus rally where 10 or 15 people dump their 100-150 gallon tanks at the same time.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »

1.  RV or marine toilets are just as susceptible to bad valves and leaking as are home toilets.  I've had the foot pedal stick on mine.

2.  It seems to me that your campground waste system is completely inadequate.  If one leaky toilet can overwhelm the system, something is wrong. If they are spending $4k a year in pump outs, perhaps it would be better to invest that money in the system capacity.

3.  I'm guessing you could not handle a bus rally where 10 or 15 people dump their 100-150 gallon tanks at the same time.

I agree with this, and also think that Dallas, as a manager, should see us as customers, not a bunch of irresponsible old geezers that go to his camp to upset his life. If your campground is inadequate is not our fault.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »

But I think that he is talking about "irresponsible old (and young) geezers."  He is not saying that dumping your 100 gallon tank is a problem, but rather leaving water run down the drain is.  It is unfortunate that your faulty valve ended up costing you money, but why would you expect someone else to pay for the damage you caused. 

Dallas, I expect a free pass on the pump out fee for supporting your cause.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »

"Every business has rules in place to try to protect itself from damage caused by customers"
Agree 100% with this.

"In the case of campgrounds, RV parks, Motels, Hotels, Hostels, etc., you are at the mercy of not only the proprietor, but also the state or province where you are."
If you want returning customers you better be merciful.

"For instance, about a year and a half ago we had a lady staying here with her 40' 25 year old fifth wheel camper. It looked good on the outside, but had been badly abused on the infrastructure during it's life. She left for a week or two to go home, (she was a welder on the local gas pipeline), but left her camper. She also neglected to turn the water off to the camper. The house toilet she had installed in place of the RV toilet poured water into the septic tank, along with 20 other users who dumped their holding tanks into the same Septic over the same period numerous times."
You are going to find those characters everywhere, not just at your park. It's part of the fun. Also the 20 users, were they bringing in stuff to "make your day"?.

"This flooded the septic tank and the field, requiring a pump out and having the field opened and sucked out also.
If it was your campground, would you have charged her for it, or would you have eaten the charges?
This happens, or something like it, at least 5 times a year. At that rate, that's $4250."
Looks like either you have a problem with the system, either design or maintenance.

"What you may not understand is that smaller campgrounds, like ours that aren't 'Destination' parks, don't make loads of money, contrary to popular belief. We can only charge what the traffic will bear. Would I like to charge more to spread the costs of pump outs among everyone? Sure, but then the price of a spot would be way out of line with all the other campgrounds within 300 miles."
If you do not charge accordingly with your expenses you will go belly up.

"We charge $27/night for a full hookup, (water, sewer, garbage, pool, 20/30/50 electric and wifi), monthly is $325 plus .13˘KwH.
Taxes on this place have been running $16,000/year.
Many campers love to run their A/C 24/7 and keep it meat locker cold in their campers because WE pay the bills! (Electric costs us .11˘/KwH and I've seen campers use 23 KwH in a 24 hour period). In the winter, campers like to use space heaters to warm a piece of junk $6,000 camper warm."
As you make 2 cents per KwH over your cost, the more they spend the more you make. Am I missing something?.

"Maybe I am too critical, maybe I'm too harsh, maybe... but I don't own this place. My bosses require me to follow certain rules that require me to make our guests follow certain rules. How would you feel if you parked over night and were told you couldn't dump because the RV parked next to you flooded the tanks because of a faulty flapper valve? Would you feel that you got your money's worth by stopping at this campground?
For those of you that I'm being nasty or critical, think of it this way, a campground is a business, if it doesn't make a profit it won't be in business. If the cost of your stupidity is more than the cost of your site, you pay for it. It's an easy learning curve."
Customer service, like managing, is more like fine art. You have it or you do not.

"Most of the time, this never ever comes up. That's because most people have the intelligence to monitor their actions."
Then do not scare them away.

"if I seem abrasive, I'm sorry for your loss."
Got it right, buddy.

"I am on this earth to please me.. not you."
Keep the attitude and you will have plenty of time to pursuit this and your other hobby described below.

Or, if you want to go to a campground and drink way too much, (My favorite sport), and let you grubby urchins run wild, starting fires or playing "nail the tail to the poodle", please pass on by. Those are actual occurrences here, and probably at every other campground you've been to.

Good luck to every one of you.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »

Here's what we do... We only run off water in our fresh tank.  When we get low, we fill back up.   We never use city water, therefore no chance of an endless flow of water doing that kind of damage (and no chance of too high water pressure blowing anything out).  Doing this also keeps the water in the tank from getting old. 

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
mugsytrpt

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

Wow.....Wal-Mart parking lot sounds better every minute.  LOL

1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New Kohler 23.5kw genset April 2013
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2011, 05:59:05 PM »

Point #1: RV and marine toilets DO leak, no question about that, but normally at a much lower rate (GPH) than a house toilet. House toilets are built to fill quickly and shut off, as opposed to an RV or MArine toilet which is built to only flow to wash the effluent down the tube.

Point #2: The park's septic system is more than adequate. Unless you consider 6 500 gallon tanks and 2 1500 gallon tanks inadequate for 32 spaces, a bath house and a laundry. If you didn't know, a 1/2" water line with normal pressure of 60 psi can flow over 800 gallons per hour. That's not an inconsequential amount considering the user may not be home for 12 to 16 hours.

Point #3: We've had two rallies here, with 12 to 16 coaches, most of whom dumped at some point.

The problem isn't with the systems, the problem is with campers that have absolutely no idea what they are doing and expect the park owner to pay for their stupidity.

As for Pipopak's comment,

I agree with this, and also think that Dallas, as a manager, should see us as customers, not a bunch of irresponsible old geezers that go to his camp to upset his life. If your campground is inadequate is not our fault.

we do see you as customers, but on the other hand you have to see the park as a viable business that provides a service to you. We do our best to make your stay pleasant and will go out of our way to keep it that way.

Would you prefer that we allow the drunk party next to you to continue on into the night? How about the barking dog that barks for hours and hours and hours? Should we let the owner of the dog to continue to ignore it?
If some one happens to overload the main breaker at the breaker panel in his/her camper causing a fire, which in turn burns down RV's on either side of him, should we not attempt to stop the fire before it gets out of control?
You seem to only to see this from the consumer side of the equation. You also seem to fail to understand that if the park doesn't make a profit, there won't be a park for you to stop and relax at. Not just our park, but any commercial RV park.

I'm not certain what you do for a living, but consider this: If you were in business as a photography shop in a strip mall that you owned and the business next to you started a fire by using a poorly wired electric heater, who would you expect to have to pay for your loss? Your insurance? The next door businesses insurance? The owner of the next door business? Or would you expect to pay for your losses out of your own pocket?

A fundamental rule of a business is that it is there to make a profit. Businesses that don't make a profit don't remain businesses for very long. When taxes on commercial property are raised, who pays for it? The owner? Hee hee, not for very long... he passes his costs onto the consumer.
When your local beanery has their costs raised, do the absorb the increase? Maybe, for a short while, but rest assured, they will be raising their prices or cutting their serving sizes.

In a perfect world, this wouldn't be so, but the world ain't, and this is. Drat the luck!

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »

or playing "nail the tail to the poodle",

Dallas,

I'm probably going to be sorry I asked but what is that? Please describe in language suitable for mixed company.  Shocked Shocked

BTW, if Phyllis & I ever get down there I am going to dump BOTH tanks at once. You can sue me! Bill my estate! I'm probably worth at least $32.60 now!  Grin Grin

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »

Well I'll be a Long time getting 785 posts but I'm just Don....

and I have been full timing in my coach for 7 years ( my houses and properties are leased out)....Been to Mexico, Alaska,AZ MN ID,AR,FL,NM,MT and LOTS of Texas and I will say Texas has the worst "perk' soil conditions of anyplace probably on earth at least American earth....But I have never seen a rule that said how much i could dump, in fact I recently had (oh MY) a sewage spill...the camp staff came and cleaned it up,replaced my hose and gave me a sewer donut seal that i did not know I was required by LAW to have.
I have read every piece of paper i ever signed for space rent and never have I seen one that said the stuff you express.
Now i will say that once my grandson was filling the toilet and the fill stuck open and overflowed in my coach....we sent his carcass to the taxidermist...because his mother wasn't there to mop up the water.

If your septic worked proper raw water should flow out to your drain field and NOT overflow your tanks to the point of having them pumped, that's just the way it's supposed to work.
PS it's against Texas Law to charge a premium for electricity,
as  IT is in most states, you can charge a reading fee..but that is usually regulated to fair market value..like maybe 40$ an hour...32 spaces...about $20.00.....
Where are you at in TX.
PS I already know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: