Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:05:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ander Lign Compression Fittings  (Read 2975 times)
Tevo

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »

Anyone have any opinions on Ander Lign compression fittings? Over the past two weeks I've practically rebuilt the toilet from the top down, starting at the seals, then the vacuum breaker, then the water valve, etc. Each time I fixed one leak a new one sprouted further down the system. Finally, I got down to the bay and the flexible copper tubing supply line. Underneat the toilet the previous owner had a tee with one end with a makeshift cap--a piece of tube crimped and soldered closed. Of course, after fixing everything else last night that cap sprung a leak and was shooting water everywhere.

Well, as a bit of background, I am terrible at soldering, and try as I might today I could not get the tube cleaned enough to solder in a proper tee. Frustrated and not looking forward to another night without water, I put in a compression tee and added a valve (also a compression fitting) upstream a couple inches so I could turn it off if it leaked anywhere else.

All is well at this point, but a fellow in the park is adamant that I should tear it back apart because the Ander Lign style fittings "are junk."

I'd never heard that before, and the bus has several other compression fittings throughout the plumbing system, none of which have leaked so far. So I was wondering if there were any other similar experiences with them. Thanks in advance. 

1962 GM PD-4106
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »

Ander works a lot better on copper than Sharkbite read the instructions and follow and you won't have any problems

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »

i have used 1000's of them on nylon air type tubing...
Sharkbite,I don't know.....

from Watts:
No. 968
Ander-Lign« Tube to Male Pipe Connectors - with Brass Insert
Lead Free* Models Available
Description: Ideal for use with copper, brass, aluminum or plastic tubing on gasoline, grease, oil, water, vacuum and air lines. Not recommended for use with steel tubing. Come completely assembled with brass insert and captive sleeve. These fittings put 360║ of even pressure on the tubing, ensuring a tight seal.

This from Cert. Boiler Techs
From RidgidForum:
Re: Ander-lign comp. fittings
I don't have good luck with those things. I would use a shark bite/ john guest before that. It might just be me but they leak 50% of the time.

Re: Ander-lign comp. fittings
The ferrule tends to break free of the compression nut when removing them.
The compression inserts for the inside of the tubing are about the only good thing about them.... but you can get those separately.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Tevo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »

Thanks guys. My biggest concern was the inevitable flexing that occurs in a bus and what that would do to the fittings, but it sounds like they're at least fairly reliable. Ultimately I think what I should do is pull all the copper and switch to pex though. I'm just not looking forward to that job.   Undecided

1962 GM PD-4106
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: