Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 03:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shameless plug: Come to my workshops  (Read 1402 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »

I can hear you asking: why would anyone pay $300 to listen to (and watch) me prattle on for two full days about electricity.  (Or $150 for a full day about plumbing.)  I know, because I asked that question myself.

I have a very simple answer for you, speaking as one who has made plenty of very expensive mistakes:  $300 is way, way less than the cost of most single mistakes you can make with electricity, and, in some cases, by a good order of magnitude.  One mis-wired inverter can cost you upwards of $1,000, and a rookie wiring error can let the magic smoke out of a major appliance in a heartbeat.  Make it in the wrong place, and you can blow your microwave, fridge, and Harman Kardon stereo system all in one fell swoop.  Even a fried shore power cord can cost $250.  And when it comes to electricity, some of the more serious mistakes can cost you your whole coach, or worse.

Plumbing is a bit less clear-cut, but get the venting wrong and you can be ripping half your cabinets out to fix it after your very first trip, especially when your partner tells you it will be their last until you get rid of that smell.

But wait, there's more (do I sound like Billy Mays yet?).  While many professional seminars cost upwards of $450 per day, just to be in a crowded ballroom with perhaps 300 other students, these workshops, at a third that cost, will be held in a small group setting, where each participant will have ample time to get specific questions answered.  We'll also get a chance to be hands-on, with an opportunity for each participant to poke around actual installations, finished or not, and see firsthand the good, the bad, and the ugly.

So don't delay, act now.  Operators are standing by.

Seriously, though, I've been pressing Mike for a headcount, and he's waiting on y'all to commit.  And with less than three weeks left, I need to know so I can get my materials together.  So help us all out, and get your registration in to Mike pronto.  If you are on the fence, drop me a PM and we can chat about whether either of these workshops is the right fit for you.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »

For more information and the registration form:

www.BusConversions.com/workshops/

I also just want to add, even if you have already completed a conversion or bought one that was completed (are they ever really completed?) you should have a look at the list of workshops.

Sean's courses are invaluable for those about to do a conversion, but also very relevant for understanding the systems for safe and accurate troubleshooting of problems.  And if you bought a bus someone else converted, or are in the shopping stage, it will help you to recognize safety or operational issues.

Jim Shepherd and Don Bowen will be teaching basic welding.  This isn't a community college course where you will study for dozens of hours all the history of welding or be a part of a huge group with little instructor attention.  This is a one day course where Jim will teach you the "classroom basics" of welding and safety; and together he and Don Bowen will guide you through basic hands-on learning with arc, wirefeed flux core MIG, and Oxygen/Accetylene welding/cutting.  And it only costs you $150 (plus $50 for materials/consumables).

Some aren't even about the conversion process:

• Bus Shopping 101 - Going bus shopping with your heart and not mindful of things to look for or look out for can cost a new bus nut literally thousands of dollars.  This course is just $40
  • Bus Preventative Maintenance - Taking care of a bus is not just like maintaining a large car.  And again, a single mistake can cost thousands.  This course, taught by a professional bus mechanic, specializing in our two-stroke powered buses, only costs $75.
  • Safe & Skillful bus driving - No offence to anyone, and in fact most could benefit, but some of my friends here have had "oopsies" with their bus, most at crawling speed manuevering in close quarters.  I have often heard stories of someone driving into a lake.  And a couple of experiences by well experienced drivers that had more serious accidents.  This course costs only $110 and is taught by a professional bus driver.  It includes classroom time, pretrip inspection time, and hands on driving time in his MC-9 in a safe parking lot environment.
  • Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) - Fuel prices continue to be a major concern for many.  WVO is an often talked about subject.  This course is only $75 and is taught by someone that is using it.  He will be explaining what it took for him to get set up and use it, from the collection process on through to the modifications to his bus to use it.

You can pick and choose any courses individually or there are discounts for the entire segment (3 days in the first half, before the rally for $375, and 4 days in the second half, after the rally for $500).

Come on folks, you will not likely get another chance at this kind of hands on bus conversion learning for at least another year.  Don't miss it.  But as Sean pointed out, you do need to get registered as soon as you can.  It helps the instructors to prepare take-home materials and in some cases (like the welding course) it is needed for having the right amount of supplies on hand.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:10:42 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »

What an awesome lineup.  And Sean is indeed the electrical master.

We are contemplating accelerating our cross-country trek to try and be there for some of these.

If only our bus had a teleport mode! 

*grin*

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »

Yes, and I can attest to having had bad shore power blow out every electronic board on our bus.  Personally experienced it.  Water heater, furnace, etc.-    Angry   What an expensive fiasco that was....   All stopped working after ill-fated stay at campground that looked to be under construction.   

/sigh...

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »

Uuuummm, where and when?Huh?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:00:46 PM »

First half of workshops are October 11-13 (Tue-Thu), then the rally 14-17, then the second half of the workshops 18-21 (Tue-Fri).

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »

First half of workshops are October 11-13 (Tue-Thu), then the rally 14-17, then the second half of the workshops 18-21 (Tue-Fri). 

Thanks.  That's a good "when" - but what/where is this "rally"Huh?

technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »

It's the BCM Rally, in Chattanooga, TN.  

More info:  http://www.busconversions.com/rally/index.html

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »

It's the BCM Rally, in Chattanooga, TN.  

OK, the missing info.  Thanks.

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:13 AM »

Dang!! I hate you all!! There is no way I can go that far from home right now  Angry Maybe you guys could do the same type of "workshop" on the west coast and include Don Fairchild too??? I would pay!!

Im sooo jealous  Cry
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:57:02 PM by happycamperbrat » Logged

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »

I'll come if you use my bus for the guinea pig and fix all problems. I'll even pay you.

glen s.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »

Glen, we actually tried out a BYOB (Bring Your Own Bus) workshop a couple years ago.  The idea was for people to bring their bus and choose a project to do on it.   The instructors would guide the person on the project and help with troubleshooting issues as they arose.  It was held at Jack Conrad's home and well equipped shop.  Unfortunately, when it came right down to it, one person came and his bus had a problem that kept him from bringing it.  He still came and I think he left feeling he had learned a lot.  But I can't really say that we counted that as a success.

This one is being held at the Choo Choo Garage which is purely a bus garage.  Set up to repair all manner of bus problems, but not tooled for actual conversion work.  But if your bus has mechanical issues, the shop will be more than happy to work on it. 

And if you bring it, we can certainly include it in the demonstrations and the instructors would be more than happy to give you personlized in-person guidance and instruction on projects you wish to tackle on it.  For that matter, depending on what work you want done on it, you may even be able to work out a deal to hire the appropriate instructor(s) to do the work for you after the workshops.

muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 05:00:16 AM »

Very informative. If I can just find the time to go. I bought this bus a few months ago with only coach manuals and no conversion manuals. I going to start playing with buttons and switches and see if i can get her up and going. Thanks for the help.

glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: