Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 11:20:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dish vs Direct  (Read 2371 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »

This topic is somewhat timely for me as I was hoping to get the dome mounted while up on the roof doing other things.

I have had Direct Tv since nearly the beginning and have never had issues with them and would never think of going back to cable but I'm hearing that they are transitioning from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 though this will take quite some time....or not so much....we'll see.
Now, I'm not an expert by any means and hopefully someone who knows more can chime in and clarify for me and maybe correct me but it's my understanding that all future HD will be Mpeg 4 and thus all programming will be Mpeg 4 so this means that Direct tv will no longer support non HD in the future at some point.
I'm hearing that they already are resistant to turning on receiver boxes that are not Mpeg 4 capable in anticipation for the transition. The new boxes are backwards compatible with Mpeg2 but the old boxes cannot be made to work.

So how does this relate to me and some others here? My Winegard in motion says that it will support HD via Dish network but not  Direct Tv HD. I am unaware of any upgrades or mods to make it work with Direct Tv but I'm trying to get that info.
With the price of in motion domes or the stationary domes I can't really afford to have to upgrade to another dome as well as all my boxes just to continue programming. I could go to dish for a long time for the cost of buying another in motion dome.

Also, the tv must be 1080p24 compatible which none of my tv's in the bus are.

I'm not sure if I should sell my new in motion setup in favor of one compatible with Direct Tv HD or just ride it out and see where we go and then maybe switch to Dish if need be. By then though my dome will be pretty much worthless or at least for D-tv customers which seem to still outnumber Dish. My understanding though is that Dish costs more for the same package than we have now with Direct Tv.

Does anyone know any factual information or corrections to clarify this? I would love to get the facts all straight.

Here is a link that speaks on most of the info I have already. I thought I ran across something on Direct Tv's site saying the same though I can't readily find it now.
( I am NOT affiliated with the following forum and I am not promoting it)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=197022
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:48:57 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »

I am well pleased with the Dish 1000 the six satellites beat the heck out of 2 for Direct for in motion 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »

Last I knew the east coast had to have two dishes for DISH network HD.  I know that domed amtennaes have real trouble with signal loss in the northeast.  Northern New England, unless you're on the top or west/ south side of a hill its a no go for Dish.  I like the HD picture. Even on a small, 19" LED, TV there is a noticeable difference in picture quality. So we stuck with DTV with the Winegard Slimeline automatic antenna.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »

I've had Dish forover 15 years and it is the least exspensive for me . Direct was a mess at first when they started as there were two providers to go to now that is cone with and no problems. My friends with direct get service just fine except if you don't have it operating all the time you will lose authorization and have to call in.

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 06:20:37 AM »

Hello:   I dont have either and dont like either.  The least expensive is an antenna.  At home its a 50 foot tower and on the road its a batwing. The price is right   0 dollars per month.  no add on fees . Oh yes once in awhile a bird leaves a deposit.
      Regards and happy bussin  mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 06:28:04 AM »

I don't know how one could really be better than the other myself both use satellite 110 for part of their service

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »

Wow, see I didn't know that. Dish also uses 110? I assumed that they used a different sat.

We're looking into switching to Dish. My brother changed and likes them but I'm still being told that the same package on D-tv will cost more on Dish after the current rebates and specials that Dish is offering. My brother wants the newest greatest DVR but I don't really care much, I just want good service, all the channels and for a decent price. I also don't want any hassles running a box from the house in the bus.
I know that D-tv used to demand to know where each box was located and connected to phone etc. None of my boxes go to a phone because I have no land line home phone and they never ask anymore.

I don't know if Dish does it but we like how we can add say, HBO for the weekend and then cancel with no troubles.

It sounds like both are nearly the same except maybe price...and the in motion compatibility issue that I have.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »

I don't know how one could really be better than the other myself both use satellite 110 for part of their service

good luck

You must have a different in motion sat receiever than I.  We tried for months to get Dish to work and finally the guy at the factory in Orlando told me the system was really not designed for Dish that I should change over to Direct.

I didn't want to but during one of the 15 two hour long conversations about getting hooked up an Indian lady irritated me so bad I told her to stick it and to pick up their equipment.  I called Direct and never looked back.  One time service call, both tvs worked immediately.  It was a whole lot easier than dish.  I wish I had changed over from day one.  Never have we had a bill issue, never have to argue.  I especially love them because now my wife watches tv as we are headed down the road and doesn't stay on my arse about whatever.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 06:59:23 AM »

Hello:    I had so many fights with both dish and direct over billing and what we bought and what worked and did not work ; that we finally went to the antenna system.
      My wife is the navigator when we travel. The only time she gets on me is when I dont follow directions. I probably should know by now it will be 48 years next week. 
    Anyway good luck with whatever you have chosen.
       regards   and happy bussin   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
mugsytrpt

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »

Thanks everybody for your help.  I will probably be setting everything up around thanksgiving or Christmas.  I need to have the time to get everything done.  I will have a few days off during those times which will allow for them to deliver and help me setup etc......I will be setting it up I am sure.

Again, thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

james

1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New Kohler 23.5kw genset April 2013
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: