Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 18, 2018, 05:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No room On Road For this bus  (Read 3210 times)
fredcliff
Cliff Maus

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »

Posted by Country Singer Gene Watson:

On the way to Sandstone, MN today. On a gravel road that gave way as we moved over to allow a truck to pass coming toward us. Big rig is on its way to get us to the show. All of us had to climb out a window to get out. Always something for sure but at least everyone is fine which is the main thing
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »

Nice coach,I think the driver did the right thing....I wonder if the opposing trucker stopped.....

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »

eek!! Scarey skinny road! On my maiden voyage I was crossing a skinny little bridge and there was an opposing trucker who was waiting at the other end of the bridge while I creeped across. But he got tired of waiting for me and decided to take the bridge. I just froze and sat still until he was clear around me. I will never know just how he squeezed by! My passengers and I closed our eyes lol

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »

Big rig + soft road = stay in the middle of the road.  My guess is the trucker knew that rule and won the game of chicken.  If you stay in the middle eventually they'll slow down and then you can negotiate how much road each of you gets.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website
Our weblog
What's behind you doesn't matter - Enzo Ferrari
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »

Busnuts take careful note of this situation, and don't let it happen to you!

Get your speed under control if there is no room for opposing traffic, before you meet someone.

It wouldn't surprise me if that driver would have done the same with a car.

You either understand the edge of a gravel road or you don't.

Nope, not much sympathy here.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
mugsytrpt

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »

Looking at this picture...I think the center of gravity and weight of this bus is low so it helps them from tipping over on side.  Makes you wonder....just how much more deeper would it have to of dropped for it to lay on its side.  I hope they got it out without hurting anything.

1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:40:10 AM »

No sympathy??  I got plenty for both then.  It would suck to be in that situation.  Everyone makes mistakes and the driver will probably have a better idea of the weight and support requirements.  Keep on truckin Gene!!!

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:55:40 AM »

I am assuming a musician of this stature has a PAID driver.

My sympathy criteria changes significantly when someone takes a pay cheque and makes expensive and potentially lethal mistakes.

Way different from a hobbyist busnut driving his or her own equipment.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »

Poor Gene has had some troubles with buses.

On Sunday 19 July 1998, Gene Watson's driver Kenneth Anderson was killed when Gene's bus was involved in a crash.  Long-time Gene Watson guitarist & backup vocalist Gary Anderson was injured.
http://www.gene-watson.com/gene_bio_1990s.htm

Country Singer Gene Watson bus caught fire

Gene Watson and Band were on their way to perform at the Grand Ole Opry when their bus caught on fire. Luckly Watson, a former mechanic, work tiredlessly to put out the fire as they waited approximentaly 30 minutes for the fire department to arrive.

Happily, no one was injured and the band was able to rent another bus and continue their road trip to the Grand Ole Opry.

Glad to hear everyone is doing fine. It pays to have a mechanic on hand when a car fire breaks out. Good Job Gene!
http://www.myspace.com/shinkenpublicrelations/blog/287501957

Country legend GENE WATSON and his FAREWELL PARTY BAND were a bit delayed on their trip to GLOVERSVILLE, NY for a performance on SUNDAY (10/19) when a trailer hooked to their bus snagged a curb and held on. The driver was making a left turn on a narrow road when the trailer hitch caught the curb, causing the bus to slightly teeter.

After a tow truck and police hit the scene to get the bus back on track, the band safely made its way on to the show. No one was injured in the accident.
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/47658/gene-watson-s-bus-involved-in-minor-accident

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »

When I was 16 I once went aside to let someone by on a narrow gravel road. Sub zero temps near Duluth, I sank into deep snow along the edge while we watched the other car drive away. Walked back over a mile to find a phone, very very cold feet and hands, had to get a wrecker come pull us out. I will never move aside unless I know for a fact I wont sink or dump, its simply not worth it.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »

I ALWAYS tell my drivers when it comes to a situation like that stop and make the other vehicle go around you.
I tell them if a car or pick up ends up in the ditch I'd rather pay to have them pulled out than to have a bus damaged and then pulled out.

If it's another large vehicle if both vehicles stop then it's up to the drivers to find a fair way to get around without damage or one ending up in a ditch.

If my driver stops and the other is to stupid or impatient enough to do so and ends up in the ditch or hits our bus then it's on him, his company and their insurance company to cover the damages.

I tell my drivers that I want them to be SAFE first & courteous second. But I always tell them if we're at fault we'll pay to get a car or P/U pulled out (like a car driver gets scared and gets over too far).
There is no reason for us to be at fault when it involves another commercial or large vehicle. (especially if my driver stops and attempts to work out the pass in a "gentlemanly way")
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 06:17:26 PM »

Wow, sounds like Gene best stay far away from aircraft...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: