Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need advice for speedo  (Read 2036 times)
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2006, 03:07:37 AM »

The speedo will not work in the bus but instead of trying to get it working I would like to find one with an odometer/trip meter, any suggestions on where to find something that works well or what has worked for you,I really do not want a gps just a speedometer thanks Mike
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:58:40 AM »

I really do not want a gps just a speedometer thanks Mike

Is that because you have Kathy to tell you where to go?   Grin  Grin  Grin

(sorry, y'all were so great at the rally, I couldn't resist)

kyle

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:28:41 AM »

My MC-8 has the usual plain speedometer with no odometer, but mine works fine.  I'd also like to have one with an odometer and trip odometer.  Are they even available with trip odometers?  I can't seem to remember to check the hubodometer.  If anybody knows where to find these, I'd love to hear it.  David.
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 06:11:20 AM »

Mike,
   I got just what you are asking for( odometer, trip odometer and acurate spedometer)  from Luke.  It's electric and requires installing a sensor on the back of a front wheel and drilling and tapping 4 bolts into the back of the brake drum.  It works very well.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:43:55 AM »

You might also try

http://store.summitracing.com

They have some neat looking gauges, even 200mph!

They have all kinds of styles & sizes, it was fun browsing thru them.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:05:41 AM »

Thanks Jerry,I will give Luke a call today and thanks for the elect help at the ralley,that sure is one nice set up rig you have there. Kyle I also very much enjoyed talking with you at the ralley and your dad is one neat guy and yes kathy can tell me where to go but she has a very hard time with a map but I would not want to go without her,hope to see all of you at arcadia,Mike
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:16:55 AM »

Yep, Jerry L is one handy dude to know when you're talking electrical! I have a lot to learn & he has lots of great ideas!

RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »

Hi

I have 2 surplus/salvage Monaco Speedometers left --  $39 each

approx.  --> 4.5" hole / 5" face

ones black with red needle
ones black with white needle

they both have LCD Digital odometers and trip meter function (requires ONE exteral switch (Odo/trip/trip reset) - diagram included 12v

they are switch set-able and require a pulse source of at least 10,000 pulses per mile - for buses that would be about 20 bolt heads on the front wheel -

or

I have Rostra universal magnet drive shaft pickups - $25

Pete RTS/Daytona 386...672..0571  hawk_ii_mail   @  yahoo.com (remove spaces) 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:15:07 PM by RTS/Daytona » Logged

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 06:46:22 PM »

Yep...Jerry's a handy dude when repairing mandolins and leveling sat dishes too! 
I got a speedo issue...works fine...just reads way off.  It's all relative and repeatable though. 
When the speedo reads 30 MPH, you're going exactly 45...reads 45, going 56, 53 MPH is 65 actual. 
Maybe that's why the bus only has 280K miles ( Wink).
The speedo has "MCI" marking.  Also has a small adjuster on the back...reckon that would calibrate the speedo?  It is driven off of a VSS on the transmission..not a wheel driven unit.  The same unit controls the DDEC so it's working.  Cruise control works. 
Problem must be in the speedo....??
I'm thinking about pulling the speedo loose from the dash, heading down the road, set the cruise, and turn the calibration knob until it reads the cruise speed.  As far as anyone knows, would the speedo be damaged by changing the calibration while under way?   
Anyone ever tried this?   New dash is on the list of future things to do...and don't want to buy any more guages until the dash project is a little better planned.  Don't really want to smoke the speedo either..it is useful as it is.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 05:54:23 AM »

Yep...Jerry's a handy dude when repairing mandolins and leveling sat dishes too! 
I got a speedo issue...works fine...just reads way off.  It's all relative and repeatable though. 
When the speedo reads 30 MPH, you're going exactly 45...reads 45, going 56, 53 MPH is 65 actual. 
Maybe that's why the bus only has 280K miles ( Wink).
The speedo has "MCI" marking.  Also has a small adjuster on the back...reckon that would calibrate the speedo?  It is driven off of a VSS on the transmission..not a wheel driven unit.  The same unit controls the DDEC so it's working.  Cruise control works. 
Problem must be in the speedo....??
I'm thinking about pulling the speedo loose from the dash, heading down the road, set the cruise, and turn the calibration knob until it reads the cruise speed.  As far as anyone knows, would the speedo be damaged by changing the calibration while under way?   
Anyone ever tried this?   New dash is on the list of future things to do...and don't want to buy any more guages until the dash project is a little better planned.  Don't really want to smoke the speedo either..it is useful as it is.
JR

Hi JR

If it's a "pot" potentiometer(sp??) you'll be turning then that should be fine having someone doing it going while you drive down the road

Speedometers with "dip" switch setting need to be turned off then back on for the new switch setting to be read

Pete RTS/Daytona

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 06:39:02 AM »

Hey Pete,
If you're not careful, you will end up with a reputation for being helpfull too.  Grin

JerryH

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 07:44:34 AM »

Mike:

"need advice for speedo"

When I read that heading, my first thought was overaged man wearing a swimsuit that he shouldn't be wearing.

Needs advice for Speed (the advice ... don't wear it) => http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/LisaPrice/WhatNOTtowearinthespa.jpg

BusNut at Bruce Knees bash in Delaware (wearing Speedo) => http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1119159/2/istockphoto_1119159_speedoman.jpg  ps: he drives an MCI.102 model. Cheesy

Jerry H.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 07:46:24 AM by JerryH » Logged
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 08:26:53 AM »

Jerry H, I don't think I'd want people to know I had access to pictures like that!  Shocked 

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin
ROTFLMAO
 Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

JerryH

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 12:28:57 PM »

Jerry H, I don't think I'd want people to know I had access to pictures like that!  Shocked 

Ok, truth be told ... I was going to post photos of myself in a Speedo, but the camera broke taking the photo   Smiley

Maybe Nick can share some!!

You'd be surprised what you can find on the internet by simply Googling it.  Speedo's, bus parts, anything!

Jerry H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: