Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 07:00:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Throttle on 6V92 MCI  (Read 1223 times)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2006, 03:16:34 AM »

I getting close to 'burnin diesel in my re-power project-heres a stumper that maybe someone can help with-my bus had 8V71 and now has 8V71T.......dang that turbo! the throttle configuration that was on the old engine works great.......without the air cleaner pipe going to the turbo........yuk........
   I think the configuration thats on MC9 with turbo engine (either one) will work, but I cant find a photo or drawing of the set up.....can someone with MC9 have a look and maybe post a photo? I need the view at the governor/turbo area. Thanks!
Is it time for an air throttle? If so, wheres the best (er...least expensive) source?
      thanks Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 05:28:04 AM »

Chuck,

This is about the best I have online.

If you don't get something more detailed, tell me exactly where in these photos you're interested and I'll get a more detailed photo tonight.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:15:55 AM »

Thanks Craig. That helps. What I need to see is the throttle linkage on the 6V92 as it goes on the governor housing. Does it use a cable or a rod? thanks! Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:30:41 AM »

Chuck,
Wasn't home long enough last night while it was light to get a photo. Will try tonight, or this weekend, if I don't forget.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:29:39 AM »

If you're trying to connect a mechanical linkage, stop now and install an air throttle.  It is easy on the foot.  Drawback- they have a bit of a delay in them; and you don't have throttle without air pressure.  So starting cold can be a bit challenging.  When cold I start from the back.  I hold the stop lever closed (either with my fingers or a pliers), start cranking the engine, then slowly open the stop lever and the engine starts gently.  The advantage to this method is that when you use the stop lever this way, it changes the timing so the engine starts easier in the cold, has time to build up some oil pressure and internal heat before the fuel hits the cylinder.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »

Has anyone ever designed an electronic throttle for these older engines?  You would just need some sort of motor to work the throttle at the rear and then an accelerator with a electronic sensor at the front.  This would seem to remove the disadvantages of both the air and mechanical throttles.  Did any of the later DDEC 2 strokes have electronic throttle.

All of the newer diesel engines have electronic throttles as standard.  My Series 60 has electronic throttle and my VW Golf I believe also has electronic throttle.  I had two different diesel pickups and they both had electronic throttle.  I think even come vehicles with gas engines now have electronic throttles.

Brian Elfert
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »

Has anyone ever designed an electronic throttle for these older engines?  You would just need some sort of motor to work the throttle at the rear and then an accelerator with a electronic sensor at the front.  This would seem to remove the disadvantages of both the air and mechanical throttles.  Did any of the later DDEC 2 strokes have electronic throttle.

All of the newer diesel engines have electronic throttles as standard.  My Series 60 has electronic throttle and my VW Golf I believe also has electronic throttle.  I had two different diesel pickups and they both had electronic throttle.  I think even come vehicles with gas engines now have electronic throttles.

Brian Elfert
I believe that all the electronic throttles you mention are actually talking to the ECU and not a mechanical governor.  I don't think anyone makes an electro-mechanical throttle unit.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 11:30:25 AM »

I believe that all the electronic throttles you mention are actually talking to the ECU and not a mechanical governor.  I don't think anyone makes an electro-mechanical throttle unit.

Sure, but the ECU has to be talking to something to make the throttle change.  Someone with some spare time could probably make an electronic throttle for a mechanical engine.

Brian Elfert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: