Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:38:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planar Air Heater 4DM-12, diesel air heater made in Russia  (Read 5482 times)
boogiethecat

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:08:24 AM »

Has anyone used one of these Russian doodahs to heat your cabin?
Planar Air Heater 4DM-12
They look interesting- I'm thinking of trying one... they're in the $700 range new...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »

How do they work?   Are they like the Eberspacher heaters that burn diesel (or the old VW gasoline-fuelled supplementary heaters)?   Are they UL listed?   Could they introduce CO into the air?   They look interesting.   If they can heat a draughty old GAZ truck in a Siberian winter, they may be overkill for us here!

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »

Ebay (UK at least, I haven't looked at US) is full of used Webasto Airtops, and in fact the Webasto website specifically offers the Air Top for passenger bus heating (see link below). I've been tempted by the idea of getting an Air Top a number of times as they are much cheaper and simpler to install than a hydronic system - but of course while they will warm the bus they lack the ability to provide hot water.

Whether a new Russian heater is a better buy than a used Webasto for similar (or less) money I couldn't say. I'd want to research the Russian unit to make sure it met the relevant standards, but I probably wouldn't be worried about it too much beyond that. My preconceptions say that the Ruskies probably know how to make effective and reliable heaters, but it might well be quite crudely put together.

Webasto Air Top:

Air Tops for buses:

http://www.webasto.co.uk/general/en/html/8348.html

Jeremy

PS - As it happens I bought a new Webasto Thermo 90 last week - anyone want the unused Webasto Top 'C' that I bought previously but decided probably wasn't powerful enough for the bus?

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »

(snip) Whether a new Russian heater is a better buy than a used Webasto for similar (or less) money I couldn't say. 

The Planar says that the unit is "manually operated" and there seems to be a remote operating panel for the Webasto.  Hard to say without more info, isn't is?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »

Boogie,
Have you got it installed? How well does it work?
I am also looking at theses! Grin

John

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »

Hello Boogie;  Good questions already given and thank you.  I would like the "manual" function.  Does it mean that there are NO electronics?  You if anyone should know.  Yep; give us lots of pics.  HB of CJ (old coot) (now Crown-less)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »

i HAVE OWNED A DOZEN AIRTOPS they are anything but quiet, great in a Tucker snow cat or a dozer or slope groomer,
 but my coach....i don't think so....

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: