Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 09:23:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken down on ny turnpike  (Read 3984 times)
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »

I have it jacked in place now the welder is on his way....it sheared one inch from the air intake box.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »

This same thing happened to my friend Don Clark .   He has an easy fix.    You can call him.   I just emailed you his phone number

Ed Roelle
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 11:28:30 AM »

Tom, hope your repair is swift and successful.
In the interest of those that also have similar constructed busses(I also have a 4106 like you) when your repairs are complete would you post some pics of the repairs and perhaps a clearer explanation of exactly what broke. When I look at my bus I notice that the strut that broke on yours appears to be connected to a fabricated connector that somehow ties into the roof on the bus. Did the strut itself break or did it separate from its connection?

Thanks

Fred Mc.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »

back on the road $787 poorer.....the tow guy would not honor allstate and the welder charged
$390 for one weld... the piece of iron was only held on  by two spots the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. it broke 1 inch  from the air box but this guy made a very nice weld. he did brake the ground to my transmitter for the toad taillights and the tow guy fixed it with a bad  connector so no tail lights....also the wife had the dvd and other equipment on so on our first run around break for the baby we had a dead battery as the bus generator will not charge unless it has proper voltage  so no real headlights, we are at a flying j next to a t&a 30 miles from buffalo.we had to stop as we couldnt see 100 feet in front of us...

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »

This isn't a trip, it's an adventure..Glad your rear end is supported again. Hope the electrical problems can be resolved in the daylight... Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »

Is your generator big enough to run a buzz box type arc welder? A guy could buy one for about 250.00 at Home Depot and leave it in the bay. I have a 50a welder plug in one of my bay's and have thought about carrying a welder just for this reason. It sure would have saved some time and money, not to mention the worrying.  Roll Eyes

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »

now i find my battery charger is dead..... i will have to go to the states in the morning to get a new one.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »

sounds like you were not ready for the road yet. Before you go out check all your systems and make sure they work. Something about a fine tooth comb eh.
You might want to check your brake next and your steering.Justt saying FWIW

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »

we were ready  but the things that have happend would not of been found easily.first time shifter broke off in my hand. second time brass nipple on fuel line broke 3rd time the engine cradle breaks. finding or knowing to look for that would of been near imposable. today i went to the states for a battery charger. went into k mart and found a nice one for $32 when i got to the register it came up as $64 so i quoted them law and made them sell it to me for price posted on the  shelf a 2/10/50start unit!!

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
blank

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »

went into k mart and found a nice one for $32 when i got to the register it came up as $64 so i quoted them law and made them sell it to me for price posted on the  shelf a 2/10/50start unit!!

Called a Farm Equipment Company where we bought parts for the Tractor, asking about tire chains. Said they had a set the right size for $100, so drove the 40 miles to buy them only to have the parts manager step in and say they were not going to sell for $100, as they were heavy double ring chains and he wanted $400. Needless to say I drove home pretty angry and called the owner. The manager even tried to argue it wasnt 40 miles from our house. No, it was 38, sorry...

Owner had a guy drive them out to the house for the $100, and probably the parts manager was either torn a new one or shown to the door.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »

another part of the adventure ,,,, my generator which has never worked properly caused a rather smokey incident when the fuse on the fan blew and all my reflextex insulation melted.....
and also i was parked at the flying a-hole in buffalo and running said generator at 7 am trying to charge my batteries and i get a knock on my door from management telling me to shut it off as it wAs keeping the truckers awake, i get no respect.......

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
blank

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »

I always try to park well away from everyone, with exhaust aimed in the most desolate direction when running genny. Is it just me, or are Flying J's turning nasty? Seems just over the last year, six trips back and forth to Minnesota since June last year, they seem increasingly less friendly, dirtier, just not the same places they seemed just last year. Last one I stopped at, needed propane, told me everyone had to be outside or he wouldnt fill it. Had to wake up our daughter at 11PM to stand outside in the cold wind. If I hadnt been out of gas and just trying to get where I was going I wouldnt have passed. In over 30 years that was a first.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »

Not just F/J here in AZ it is the law everyone has to unload before filling propane on a motor home I am sure other states are the same

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
blank

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »

Im pretty sure the founding Fathers didnt intend for those who followed to endlessly make laws just to make laws, but that seems to be what happened. Take a look at most states volumes on State Code, then take a look at the volumes concerning US Code. The combined volume of books would fill a GMC 4107/4905 Bus Cargo bay, and probably some more. Its not a Bus load of Lawyers we need on the bottom of lake Michigan, its just about every one of them. 
gus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 07:04:39 PM »

This string is beginning to wander also!!

My congratulations to anyone who is fully prepared for a first time bus trip with no problems. Never had such good luck with either of my buses even though I tried. It is pretty hard to figure out ahead of time all the potential problems is a 30-50 year old machine.

Every trip we ever made in either bus has been an adventure, expect that and you won't be disappointed. The good news is that none of them has cost me a bunch, I've managed to repair most things myself. If I couldn't I wouldn't be able to afford a bus!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: