Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:00:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken down on ny turnpike  (Read 3953 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 07:11:02 PM »

How is a running generator going to bother a trucker?  I'll turn off my generator as soon as they all turn off their idling engines.

I'm glad to hear you got back up and running.  I had to have repairs done to our trailer on my recent trip and the place jumped on it as soon as they opened.  They also charged a reasonable $50 an hour to boot and didn't pad the hours.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »

Yeah Gus,

Just keep a good supply of bailing wire, duct tape, and gum, and you will be unstoppable.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »

Being a 50 year old long haired that rode a 1950 panhead across the US. Lawyers and big  business never was a good thing. Yes the times are a changing. That is why we all have a bus is to be independent from the rat race off the map so to say. MY old pan was the best motorcycle I owned and broke down the most. Low tech and easy to fix afther you learned the way it worked. Same as these old buses. they are going to break but can be fixed with out a computer. I still do not know my bus yet, only had it 2 months and most of that time has been getting the motor rebuilt. It well take some time to learn how it likes to run. The two weeks of trying to get it home was the best time the wife and I have had in a lone time. Working to gather. we haven't felt that alive in a long time. So take it and make it fun it's only money and you can't take it with you and the kids will only spend it on the next best 3d TV. OK I said my 2 cents now put this thered back on course
Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »

(snip)  My congratulations to anyone who is fully prepared for a first time bus trip with no problems.   

Amen.  I'm going to be ready to do some short trips in a few weeks.  My plan is to leave at 11AM, drive 25 miles north and then come back to the shop for dinner and then drive 25 miles south and hope to get back for supper time.  Then check oil, radiator, power steering, air lines, etc.  If that works, I'll repeat it a couple of times.  Then a full "periodic maintenance" as the Book describes.  But I know that won't be "fully prepared".  Adventure here we come.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »

The bus runs great now til the next excitement. Does losing a driveshaft count as being ready -- how about dropping the toad on the road -- One of the more simple things that happened was a broken accelerator spring --- would not let the trans engage --- toasted brain box for the trans ( had to shift by disconnecting and reconnecting wires --- drove over 1000 miles like that ;-)  )  --- overheating the old 8V71 til it shuts down -- losing the belt on the genset when I REALLY needed it.  Yes I am ready for the road and whatever else happens.

Melbo

These are just the highlights there are also all the sub chapters to and minor inconveniences that we have encountered

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
gus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »

Lin,

I have all that plus a pile of tools and spare parts.

Once in a while I actually have the right spare part, once even an alternator!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: