Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 12:56:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neoplan price  (Read 3140 times)
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2006, 09:44:56 AM »

I am looking at a 1991 Cityliner; 8-92, Allison, good tires, all the glass is in good shape, some rust around handles. About 10-15 seconds blue smoke on cold start-up.

Ballpark on what I should offer?
Thanks.
belfert

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:40:58 AM »

I would stay away from a Neoplan unless it is in tip top shape.  Neoplan USA quit making coach buses about 5 or 6 years ago and recently ceased businesss all together.  The parts division, Neopart USA, is still in business, but one has to wonder how long they can survive with no new buses being made.

If you have enough money and paitence, you can find most any part.  The Cityliner seems to be a German design, so you should be able to get some parts from Germany if you speak German.

The Neoplans tend to rust badly as they are all steel including body panels.  If you are seeing rust around the handles, there is probably a lot more rust you aren't seeing and rust never stops without a lot of bodywork.  Check the wheel wells as those often rust badly on Neoplans.

Brian Elfert
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:15:22 AM »

Trust me, you don't need to speak German to deal with a German company - they are probably the most efficient and well organised people on earth, and you would most likely receive any parts you ordered more quickly than from your local supplier 5 miles down the road.

Personally I love Neoplans - way more sophisticated and advanced than anything built in Britain or America. When I was at school I used to invent and draw 'high tech' coaches on my school books (things with turbofan engines on the roof and stuff). Now I suspect Neoplan were stealing my ideas.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:00:28 PM »

Lee, you don't mention where the bus may be from, so I don't know details about the vehicle.  I will pass on the experience of one client who has a fleet of Colorado-built Neoplan transits.  Wreck damaged the front door of one.  Even though the bus wasn't very old, part was unobtainable.  His bus was out of service for many months (if I recall, about a year) while they handmade a new door in Europe, and eventually shipped it to the States.

I'd try to talk with some transit maintenance folks - properties who run/ran Neoplans.  Remember that public transit procurements are, essentially, low bid.  That means that, after the specifications are issued, the properties have little or no choice as to whose bus they buy.  May have wanted a GMC RTS, ended up with a Flexible 870 (I know, I'm dating myself).

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton, TX

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I have made an offer, contingent on oil analysis, that has been accepted.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »

Lee, please let us know how you made out, and more details on whose it was.  Unless I'm wrong, you're talking about a city transit model.  If so, I (and others) may be able to steer you to some parts sources from properties retiring / recently retired Neoplans.

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
belfert

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 06:20:43 PM »

Lee, please let us know how you made out, and more details on whose it was.  Unless I'm wrong, you're talking about a city transit model.  If so, I (and others) may be able to steer you to some parts sources from properties retiring / recently retired Neoplans.

A Cityliner is a coach bus.  Pictures can be found by doing a search on Google.  Not a bad bus except for the lack of parts and the rust issues.

Brian Elfert
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 07:03:59 PM »

You'll find other Neoplan owners and enthusiasts here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Spaceliner/

You may find this an important resource, with Neoplan USA effectively out of business.

BTW, a 91 Cityliner is a US-built coach -- the German parts generally will not fit, with the exception of some of the glass.  The good news is that the drivetrain, axles, hubs, etc. are all standard US-spec parts, e.g Meritor.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.us

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 08:55:17 AM »

Sean,
Actually your bus is one of the things that got me looking at Neoplans. I meant to visit Invinity while your bus was there but never found the time. I live about 70 miles from there shop. Hope you are have a great time down south. I bought the bus from NW Bus Sales; there are picures of the bus on their web site with "Sale Pending".
belfert

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 09:37:32 AM »

BTW, a 91 Cityliner is a US-built coach -- the German parts generally will not fit, with the exception of some of the glass.  The good news is that the drivetrain, axles, hubs, etc. are all standard US-spec parts, e.g Meritor.

I was looking at various Nepolans during my bus search.  I thought the Cityliner was a German design being made in the USA, but I could be wrong.

Just because the parts came from Meritor or similiar doesn't mean the parts are readily available.  My tie rods are from some major manufacturer, but they won't sell them to the public and the Manufacturer of my bus didn't have any in stock for months.  The local bus repair place almost had to have them custom made, but they finally came into stock.  The brake drums on my bus were also very hard to find.

Brian Elfert
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 10:35:35 AM »

Brian,

Yes, the basic design of the CityLiner is German.  However, the execution of that design differs greatly between coaches built at the Lamar plant in the US, and coaches built in Stuttgart, Pilsting, or Plauen in Germany.  Most parts are NOT interchangeable.  Take this from someone who knows all too well.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.blogspot.com

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »

Bought the bus! No longer a wantabe. Photo in the post a photo thread. Anybody need any seats?  Smiley
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 08:47:20 AM »

sure is pretty.  Does it have a bus bathroom?  Whats your first project on it?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 09:16:07 AM »

Thanks, I thought so. It has a down stairs bathroom. I am planning on removing most of the seats; keep the front passenger seat and setup two as dining booth, a bedroom and kitchen then get it retitled as a motor home before the state changes the rules. Long term see Bus Conversions August 2006; drop the floor and copy that entry stair from there on its what my wife and I design but I want a bus to party 6, eat 4 and sleep 2.  Grin
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 03:34:59 PM »

lee, How do you plan on lowering the floor?

Quite a job

isn"t the cityliner monoqoque design?

i AM GUESS ING BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO THEN LOWER THE "UTILITIES CONDUIT THAT RUNS THE CENTER OF THE BUS AS WELL

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »

Not completely sure yet but the August, 2006 centerfold is a 1992 Cityliner that they lowered the floor. I am just going to lower the seat section to the lowest aisle point so it shouldn't bother the "Utilities Conduit".
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 04:57:05 PM »

Lee, the bus is a beauty!  I remember the first time I ever saw a Neoplan was 1989, it belonged to Mylon LeFevre and Broken Heart (a Christian Rock Group of the 80's).  That thing looked like a spaceship.  It was parked with three Eagles and, as much as I love Eagles, they couldn't hold a candle to the way that Neoplan looked.  He had the center door rigged up to open like an airplane door, with stairs, the whole nine yards.

IT WAS AWESOME.  I wonder what ever happened to that bus...

Jimmy 

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

Found a picture of Mylon standing in front of his bus.  Google is awesome. 

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 05:10:25 PM »

crud, pic didn't post.  Thought I followed all directions, oh well.  Just go here to see it.

http://www.mylon.org/multimedia/index.php

it's the one titled "Look Up" Cover

Jimmy, Is this what you were trying to do?
--Dallas
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 05:50:43 PM by Dallas » Logged

Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 08:17:08 AM »

The Mylon Le Fevre coach ended up at I-44 Bus Sales in Sarcoxie, MO, where it sat for almost two years.  That bus almost became Odyssey -- we looked at it early on, even had it driven to Lamar for a full inspection.  Ultimately, we passed it over, since it had several problems and we would have had to do quite a bit of body modification to get the motorcycles into it.

The air-operated side entry door is a standard feature of Spaceliners -- not somethinng Mylon had done to it.

With regard to lowering the floor on the Cityliner, you should be aware that this coach is a monococque design, and the floor truss is an integral part of the load-bearing structure.  Moving it means doing, among other things, thrust analysis and calculations.  Also be aware that the sides of the aisleway are major structural elements.  Not saying it can't be done -- my coach has a lowered floor from the factory in Pilsting.   Just that you need to do the engineering first.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.blogspot.com

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »

"Also be aware that the sides of the aisleway are major structural elements"

This is true of mine too - my bus isn't a monocoque structure (fortunately), but the body is built around the aisle channel, which is actually made of beefy aluminium extrusions and definitely not something I want to mess with. It's a shame because for a long time I planned to lower the floor to gain an extra few inches of height, but in the end it will be less work to raise the roof. (I am 6'+, and it's really annoying seeing my shorter friends walk around the bus with no problems at all - what I really need is shorter legs, not a hgher roof). At least the aisle in my bus is quite shallow, so by boxing over it to gain a flat floor I gain a really useful conduit for cables and pipes. The aisle is also directly above the engine, so I've got an opportunity for lots of extra soundproofing too.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: