Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:23:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crunch nuts  (Read 1084 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2006, 01:11:49 PM »

Thought everyne might like to see a fastener I have used a lot of.

When I was installing my microwave, hanging directly from the ceiling, and installing the cabinet above the driver, I needed to  have a fastener that was very strong and could hold a lot of weight.  My ceiling structure is all square tube, and while I can drill into it, I could not get above to put a nut.  Alll I could do was to use some big @$# sheet metal screws, but that was not satisfying to me.  I spent a lot of time looking at various fastener places, and maybe I was just not looknig in the right places, but I never did find one as strong as Prevost uses.  Prevost uses a very strong 5/16" blind fastener, so I bought a bunch from them.  They were kind of pricey, but in the big picture, it wasn't that much $.

Attached is a picture and the mickey mouse install tool I cobbled together.  Hey it worked well.

The tool, home made, works really well.  The only thing that actually threads on the bolt is the nut itself, everything else is a spacer.  The regular nut you see is 3/8, too large for the threads, its there to make contact with the crunch nut and help keep it from turning.  I put a wrench on that nut to insure it doesn't turn.  I drilled 1/2 hole in the square beams, pushed these in and tightend them down.  I can hang and bounce  my whole 200 + lbs off just one.  Very solid.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:22:23 PM »

Nice trick with the oversized nut & star washer to keep insert from spinning. I've used 'em before, good stuff.  Smiley

The only thing better than your tool would be a hydraulic installer, but those are spendy.  Cry

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:53:50 PM »

You can I believe get threaded adaptors to enable you to close up rivnuts using a regular rivet gun (or at least a 'good' rivet gun - not a $5 hardware store job). There is also a version of the same type of fastening where the 'cylinder' body is made of rubber rather than deformable metal. They probably cannot hold as much weight, but are still pretty soild. Their cheif advantage (or disadvantage, depending on your application) is that they can be removed - once the bolt is unthreaded from the nut, the rubber straightens out and the whole thing drops back out of the hole.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 04:06:49 PM »

I use those rubber ones on the outside, going through the fiberglass to hold on trim pieces and lic plates etc.  For the more structural uses, I don't plan on ever taking them out, and the extra weight holding is great.  Especially for a cabinet over the driver - don't want to be bonked in the head, and the microwave - I sure want it to stay put.  From these two responses, it seems that both of you are familiar with these types of fasteners, and I must just have not been looking in the correct places for them.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 04:15:03 PM »

I usually can't find them when I need them.  Sad

If I remember right, the last ones I used were called 'rivnuts'

Just seeing the name 'crunch nuts' makes me think of an accident I'd rather not have.   Embarrassed

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »

when I read this topic, I thought it was gonna be something else!

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 04:31:28 PM »

Sorry about the name, that's what the service manager at Prevost called them.  He said he knew that it wasn't right, but it was all he knew.

like a bicycle accident....

Jim Stewart

brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 05:04:18 PM »

Hey, Crunch nuts are great for breakfast, I love em.  But I prefer whole milk to skim.

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: