Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 05:12:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which thermostat - 180F or 190F for Series 60?  (Read 1447 times)
belfert

« on: October 12, 2006, 07:53:46 PM »

Detroit talks about both a 180F and 190F thermostat for the Series 60, but doesn't say why to choose one over the other.

Would a 180F thermostat really keep the engine cooler?  It seems to me that the thermostat is open almost all the time once the engine warms up, so how would a 180F thermostat help cooling?

I am going to replace my thermostats and need to decide on 180F or 190F.

Brian Elfert
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 07:57:18 PM »

The thermostat is what regulates the temperature in the engine. Until that temp is reached, there's very little circulation through the radiator because the thermostat is closed.

You've been sweating overheating since you bought this thing. Put a 180 in it, unless you can find a 175!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:04:33 PM »

But if your 1 or 2 speed fan doesn't kick in until a higher temp, it will only run the 180 until you put a load on it, or the air temp is quite cool.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 08:05:17 PM »

Brian,

Couldn't agree with Craig more.

For Grins....Put the old thermostats in a pot and slowly bring up the water temp to there rating.....

See if they open correctly or at the right temp...Might give you an idea of what was causing your previous issue....

Also test your new ones before install...Make sure they open at the specified temp and open and close smoothly.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 08:26:35 PM »

But if your 1 or 2 speed fan doesn't kick in until a higher temp, it will only run the 180 until you put a load on it, or the air temp is quite cool.

I think the fan clutch kicks in once the key is on and is only a single speed.  I will call MCI tomorrow and try to confirm for sure.  If it is dual speed, I would have to find out what temps the DDEC uses to kick the fan clutch to high.

Brian Elfert
belfert

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:38:06 PM »

The thermostat is what regulates the temperature in the engine. Until that temp is reached, there's very little circulation through the radiator because the thermostat is closed.

You've been sweating overheating since you bought this thing. Put a 180 in it, unless you can find a 175!

I've been skittish about overheating since it happened to me many times on the grades in Pennsylvania.  The engine went into shutdown mode once due to overheating and I had to pull over.  I watched the temp gauge like a hawk after that and had to slow way down on pretty much every grade to keep the temps in control.

Just yesterday or today I found the work order from the Detroit dealer in Youngstown, Ohio.  It says that radiator inlet is 40F warmer than outlet which indicates restriction in system.

Others have speculated that I merely have a partially stuck thermostat so maybe a 190F thermostat will be fine if that is the case.  Won't know until I pull the tthermostats I guess.

Brian Elfert
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 08:49:12 PM »

or perhaps the radiator needs to be rodded out.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 06:03:05 AM »

To clarify the function of the thermostat, it should never be wide open unless you are exceeding the cooling capcaity of the system. It is a modulating valve that moves slightly more open or more closed as the load (and fuel demandl) changes on the engine. At idle it will be completely closed with some coolant circulating through the by-pass. The DD manual gives the ' start to open'  and  'fully open' temperatures. Under normal load, the thermostat should  be partially open maintaining the coolant in the engine  at the temperature marked on the thermostat.

The fact that buses are notorious for overheating does not mean that is the way an engine  is supposed to operate. There are many reasons for overheating, such as exceeding design criteria (too high an ambient temperature, too much load, too much horsepower, etc,) but by far, the reason is some failure in the cooling system to operate properly.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 06:10:19 AM »

Thanks Stan for the excellent explanation of the purpose and operation of the thermostat as part of an overall cooling system. From many of the posts I have seen it appears that many people think of the thermostat as either open or closed only.
Richard

To clarify the function of the thermostat, it should never be wide open unless you are exceeding the cooling capacity of the system. It is a modulating valve that moves slightly more open or more closed as the load (and fuel demand) changes on the engine. At idle it will be completely closed with some coolant circulating through the by-pass. The DD manual gives the ' start to open'  and  'fully open' temperatures. Under normal load, the thermostat should  be partially open maintaining the coolant in the engine  at the temperature marked on the thermostat.

The fact that buses are notorious for overheating does not mean that is the way an engine  is supposed to operate. There are many reasons for overheating, such as exceeding design criteria (too high an ambient temperature, too much load, too much horsepower, etc,) but by far, the reason is some failure in the cooling system to operate properly.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:03 AM »

I have a 60 series in a 01 Eagle. I had cooling problems when I first put it in. Finally got all the issues fixed but somewhere in the process went to 170~ stats. Now the bus runs right on the stats most of the time but when my foot gets heavy on some really steep grades the extra 10~ lower starting temps does help out. Can ususlly make any grade and stay below 190 on temp. It may actually be running at a lower temp than it should be now but it is great to not have to worry about overheat. By the way - mine has a DDEC II in it and I have seen temps over 220 without a shut down.
Just my way - your mileage may vary.
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
Burgermeister

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »

Guys,

Your missing the point if you feel installing a 175 deg Thermostat in a 180 or 190 deg system will increase heat rejection CAPACITY.

The lower thermostat only changes the "setpoint" or target temp for engine operation and may adversely affect emissions

A 175 deg. thermostat may, in fact, exacerbate a marginal system into full blown overheat.

Brian,  I'd make sure your radiator is up to snuff before you start chasing other gremlins.

Onward and Upward,

Marc Bourget
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: